Mirtazapine/Remeron: is it working?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello everyone,

I apologize for my English but it's not my mother tongue, so I will make many mistakes 😃

I started taking Mirtazapine 15mg on September 14, then after 6 days I went up to 30mg and I'm now entering week 6 of the 30mg treatment.

I was prescribed Mirtazapine because of a mild depression and, above all, for generalised anxiety. I've had some good days since I started taking Mirtazapine after some initial adjustment (mainly sleepiness/weakness). Then I decided to shift from the generic med to Remeron 10 days ago, same dosage of 30mg, and I felt sleepy during the whole day ever since. In the last 10 days I've really been struggling to get up in the morning and I feel weak and sleepy throughout the day. In the evening it becomes slightly more bearable. To me, Remeron seems like a complete new drug in respect to the generic.

My Doc and my Psychiatrist both agree that I should go down to 15mg for a few days. Another Psychiatrist told me to take Paroxetine and to keep taking 15mg of Remeron at bed time.

Is it too early to decide that Mirtazapine isn't working for me? I mean, I'm entering week 6, should it be already working?

To be clear, I will go to see my doc to discuss my situation, I'm not seeking medical advices here. Just your experiences and suggestions.

When did you know it was/wasn't working for you? What did you do? Did you have harsh days before you noticed it started working?

Thank you, have a nice day y'all.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Edited

Hi, I began taking 60mg of Mirtazapine in August of 2020. I have felt the effects and they are positive. No more quick trigger to anger, or manic craziness. The depression has left for the most part as well. It really has made a difference in my life. It's not a strong drug like amphetamines. You don't feel a lot of physical change, it's a calming and slowing of the mind. I've never felt "drugged" on mirtazapine. If anything, I feel a little numb as my emotions have settled down and not racing around in my head. But that's a good thing.

I'm not a doctor, so I can only speak to my direct experience. I didn't feel like I was experiencing the full effects of mirtazapine until 8 or 9 MONTHS in. It really did take that long for me. And it wasn't waking up one morning and saying "I'm cured". It was a very slow process, that I didn't always recognize was going on. You have to take the meds consistently. I take my meds between six and eight AM. If I miss and fall outside of that time window I notice it by feeling anxious and restless for a couple of hours.

Again, It takes a long time for mirtazapine to set in. Give it some patience. The positives are well worth the wait.

• Posted

Thanks for your wise and kind words Scott. I will persevere. Ciao

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.