Mirtazapine: report this drug

Posted , 3 users are following.

Mirtazapine.  I lost 10 months of my life when I stopped taking this drug.

Antidepressants such as mirtazapine need to be taken off the market.  

Whilst I agree that there is a need for drugs that can help people with very difficult periods they experience in their lives, nobody wants to have to take these drugs forever.  The vicious withdrawals that many people suffer when attempting to stop can only mean that they are addictive.  They are addictive because the withdrawals are unbearable and prolonged.    Most GPs dispute this with Mirtazapine 

Definition of addiction: physically and mentally dependent on a particular substance and unable to stop taking it  without incurring adverse effects 

Report this drug.

The Medicines and Healthcare Regulatory Agency (MHRA) have a system to monitor the effects and safety of medicines and their side effects.

I have submitted a yellow card report detailing the very nasty withdrawal side effects mirtazapine left me with. 

The Yellow Card website is www.mhra.gov.uk/yellowcard

2 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Thank you for this Christine!!

You’re brilliant. I’ve shared it with my FB mirtz w/d support group.

If you’d like to join us there, please private message me.

• Posted

Thanks Jo.  The more people know about this yellow card reporting system, the better.  

The Council for Evidence-based Psychiatry is very concerned about the way many medical professionals and academics consider ADs as NOT addictive  and easy to stop.  One of those drugs mentioned (in a formal letter of complaint) is mirtazapine.     Thank you for your support.  I will check out the FB group

• Posted

Christine

Do you have access or link to that formal letter of complaint? I’d love to have copy!

• Posted

p.s. our FB group is.  “Secret Group” and only accessible via existing members. You won’t find us searching in FB because of our privacy setting.
    • Posted

I have a hard copy which I printed out for myself.  I will get you the link and pm you.  This situation arose in February when the President of the Royal College of Psychiatrists misled the public over the safety of antidepressants.  Two professors stated in a letter to The Times that: quote for the vast majority of patients, any unpleasant symptoms experienced on discontinuing antidepressants have resolved within two weeks of stopping treatment unquote.

The formal complaint letter disputing this claim has been signed by 30 people, including 10 psychiatrists and 10 people who have experienced withdrawal effects from antidepressants for between eleven months and ten years !!!!!!  As I mentioned before one of the ADs referred to is Mirtazapine.

Give me a moment,  I will certainly PM you the link but it will be tomorrow now.

• Posted

Well done....I have had little response to my yellow card submitted to the MHRA yet, but if everyone in the forum could submit complaints on this drug then  perhaps it would help get some action on this awful drug
    • Posted

I agree Drew.

There are enough patients suffering on this forum, their horror stories posted daily, if reported more may be done.  I'm pleased you had the courage of your convictions to do it.  I think the trouble is most patients are not made aware of this system.  I bet the GPs don't know and if they do, it is their duty to make their patients aware of it.

Best wishes to you.  I think we chatted on here last year when I was going through a very bad experience on mirtazapine.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.