Mirtazapine scared to take

Posted , 9 users are following.

I have been on citalopram for many years and always found them great but for the last 12 months have been struggling with very bad health anxiety and citalopram seems to have either stopped working or aren't suitable for this condition.

Stopped citalopram 3 days ago and am due to start mirtazapine tonight. I am terrified of how they may affect me tonight. I am desperate to get well. Are they a good alternative to citalopram. Gp said start on 30mg. Scared to start on this high dose too. The fear of this medication is sending my anxiety levels even worse than usual.

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi I started on 15mg which was nice as I slept & felt better .. soon after taking 30 I think I went bk dwn hill .. it did work on racing thoughts & anxiety tho.. I came off after 4 months to many side effects . Me personally would snap the pill inside for a few days .
  • Posted

Hi Denise

With medication it is a personal thing,meds react differently on different people.

My experience with Mirtazapine I had 6 brill years on it, My only side effect was weight gain,but I reckoned it was worth it to keep my mood steady and give me a great night sleep. I was on 45mg they stopped working in December.

Good Luckcool

• Posted

Hi Lynne, you said it stopped working in December? What are you taking now?
    • Posted

Im on sertraline 50mg Im also still taking 15mg mirt for sleep

neither of then are doing me any good

I go to see a psychiatrist on Wednesdaybiggrin

• Posted

Hi Lynne they call 50mg a starting dose on the sertraline so maybe put it up.. I ended up on 150mg .
    • Posted

Thanks Sharon I go to the Psych on Wednesday will talk to him about it then
  • Posted

Hi honey iv been on mirt now for over a month suffer depression and anxiety iv gotta tell you my anxiety shot through the roof but I'm on different tabs for that I'm on 30mg I fount very sedated in the first 2 weeks still make me dizzy they have helped my depression loads just got to give them a chance let me know how you get on bed of luck x
  • Posted

I've been on citalopram for 6 years and find they don't do much for me!! I was given mirtazapine last year to take with citalopram only 10mg I felt great the next day!! It did help but then I started to feel angry all the time so I stopped it just give it ago might work good For you
  • Posted

Hi Denise

My experience on mirt is very limited as Ive only been taking it for 4 days now. I was started on 15mg per day(at night before bed)and they kicked in very quickly.I actually cut to 7.5mg last night and touch wood that seems to be doing the same job as 15mg .As we all know everyone is different so its a question of trial and error with the dose. I wanted to try and come down from 15mg as that dose was making me feel a bit "spaced out" and mentally sluggish. The side effects Ive noticed are not feeking hungry at all,even after extensive exercise, and having to "remind" myself to eat at meal times but when eating not really being able to taste or smell the food and not getting any physical sensation of having eaten whilst eating or afterwards...ie I could eat the same meal again straight away and not feel at all uncomfortable or not bother eating again until the same time the next day. Its a shame because I did enjoy my food but now just look at eating as something I have to do to as a physical requirment.Same for drinking ie I cant really taste what Im drinking. Small price to pay though if the mirt keeps the anxiety at bay.For me personally it has also dulled any sense of pain or feeling exhausted after strenuous exercise .In my case clearly the mirt has "switched off" some part of my brain which would normally process taste, smell and pain...but as I say a small price to pay for the benefits. Id be interested to know if you or anyone else in this forum experiences/has experienced any similar side effects. Good luck!

• Posted

Hi Denise

It isn't the best advice, I would say, to start at the higher dose of Mirt ... I would definately start at 15mg, most doctors advise to start low and work up, giving the AD time to settle into your system.  And anyway if 15mg does the job for you why go up.  You may feel very sedated upon waking the next morning, and the leaflet says not to drive if affected, so bear this in mind, be good to start it when you have a few days off work if poss.  With 4 or 5 days you will feel less heavy sedation in the morning.  

I was on Citalopram, and was taking the two together for about 2 months (doctors advice) so I ran the two together after than whilst I tapered from Cit ~ you may get caught by withdrawal symptoms otherwise.  I think I weaned off Cit fairly well over about a month dropping 25% then when down to the lowest, every other day, every 3 days, every 4 days etc.  

Mirt 15 mg has been great for me, helping with severe insomnia & anx', although the weight gain I could have done without.  I am tapering off slowly now as I gave myself a year on Mirt', see if I can stand alone now.

Best wishes, hope it goes well for you x

• Posted

Hi calmer I'm off the mirt now .. no tapering the pdr said straight off.. went to see my gp few days later & he was pretty shocked .. bt said I'd be over the worst of it .. took 8 nights I'd say ..the strangest thing tho I actually got the symptoms around the time I took them every night.. so luckily I was in bed feeling like I was pretty smashed mostly.. but it's all done now ..
  • Posted

Hi denise .... Im on 300mg of venlafaxine and 30mg of mirtazpine but iv been on them for years .... When you first take them they will sens you to sleep depending on yow many you have to take ... If your body is sensitive to sedatives then 1 x 1g will knock you out ... But it depends from person to person x
  • Posted

Hi denise .... Im on 300mg of venlafaxine and 30mg of mirtazpine but iv been on them for years .... When you first take them they will sens you to sleep depending on yow many you have to take ... If your body is sensitive to sedatives then 1 x 15mg will knock you out ... But it depends from person to person x
  • Posted

Hello,

all tabblets have some kind of side effects some worse than others and unfortunatly for many peple who take mirtataphine the side effects are high i was on 45mg for 1 year and i have put on 10 stone in weight and you have no control over the hunger but i did not have any other side effects,but i think that you are doing the right thing by asking people for more infomation about this drug 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.