Mirtazapine sedation/groggy feeling - Does it wear off?

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi all, So I've been on Mirt now for about 6 weeks and recently went up to 30mg 4 nights ago but the sedation is horrible and I'm left feeling very tired and fatigued through the day, I feel like i can't do anything and lifes just passing me by. I want to wake up feeling on top of the world and raring to go! 

I do feel like Mirt has helped with my depression but the horrible hangover groggy feeling the next day is unbearable and it makes me feel depressed about it,  I just want to sleep all the time, it lasts all day until I take my next dose.

Does anyone else feel the same on this med? Does this feeling eventually wear off? Because if it doesn't then I'll have to change meds AGAIN as i just can't live like this for much longer!

Thanks,

Liam

0 likes, 147 replies

147 Replies

Next
  • Posted

hi i was on mirtz for over a year and felt just like you not right till i took my next tablet! ive tapering my self off and feel i have more engry :-) goodluck
    • Posted

What dose were you taking Julie? I might cut my tablet in half tonight and see if I'm less sedated! Can't cope with this horrible lifeless feeling...
    • Posted

hi i was on 15mg for a year the 30mg for 6 months! its horrible isnt it. i had no motivation some days didnt even want to get out of bed..
    • Posted

Did you find that going up to 30mg made you worse? I really don't know what to do, I'm not back at the Dr's until the 1st July. I might suggest going onto Venlfaxine as I have taken it in the past and it really helped boost my mood and motivation. 
    • Posted

yes i found it was worse on 30mg! why did u change over from veblfaxine to mirtz?
    • Posted

I didn't change from Venlafaxine to mirt, I took venlafaxine about 8 years ago. I was recently on citalopram last year and they weren't doing anything so i got changed onto mirt. Now i feel dull, lifeless with no motivation for anything - this is not me at all.
    • Posted

i know i kept thinking tomorrow will be a better day..never came! so decided im off them! feel so much better even through i am getting some side effects of coming off but eases off now!
    • Posted

do you think it will make me feel better dropping down to 15mg? Only been on 30mg since Tuesday I'm regretting it already! What dose are you taking now or have you stopped taking them? 
    • Posted

i have stop taken them now liam.. if uve only been on 30mg less than a week should be ok..im not a doctor but i should think it would be if its only since tuesday
    • Posted

Glad you feel better being off mirtz, are you taking anything else instead? I'll try 15mg tonight and see if that helps me, might take a few days to notice the doseage change we'll see! 
    • Posted

u should be fine leam! yes they have given me a small dose of sertline to help with the tapering off! i was suffering when i started the tapering off mirtz! i was on 30mg for 6 months 
    • Posted

hi liam, how was you last night with the cut back on mirtz
    • Posted

Hi Julie, I didn't do the cut back! But have had a marginally better day today, got some stuff done which is an improvement on recent days. Hopefully this will continue. I also tried not taking mirtz at the same time as my abilify maybe that has something to do with it. 
    • Posted

glad u had a good day! i dont agree with mirtz but that could have something to do with it
    • Posted

Well I'm back at the Dr's on the 1st July so i'll give it until then and if I still feel like crap through the day I'm going to ask to try another med, one that doesn't have sedation all day long. today was better yes but far from great! But small steps...
    • Posted

hi liam yes small steps! theres many ADs that dont sediate you! 
    • Posted

A feel so awful today, feel sick with anxiety and feel like panic attack coming on and I'm having suicidal thoughts. got zero energy at all, can this really be the Mirtazapine? I'm made a Dr's appt for this afternoon but it isn't with my usual Dr as she is off sick! I don't know what to do. 
    • Posted

your on the right path uve come to realise mirtz isnt for you! tell the doctor u have had euff! dont let them fob u off with a higher dose of mirtz,,you know ur own body 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.