mirtazapine should be called fatazapine

Posted , 8 users are following.

hi, i have benn on mirtazapine for 3 weeks. tried all different antidepressants none of them worked. so when gp mentioned these i went on them. for first week i was very sleepy not good as i have 2 kids aged 8 and 2 and im on my own during day as my husband at work. then i noticed my clothes were getting tight. i am usually a curvy size 14 in 2 weeks i have ballooned up 2 a size 18. my weight gain is making me feel even more depressed. i am a prisioner in my own home and body. my marriage is also suffering as a result of this. please reply asap. lyndsey

1 like, 29 replies

29 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Lyndsey,

I sorry that you are having such problems with the Mirtazapine - is it helping at all? I was prescribe it for a sleep disorder, rather than as an antidepressant - it works well for sleep but I've had a terrible weight gain over the years. Recently I read that Mirtaz may be used as an appetite stimulate in human and veternian cases. I agree with other writers about going back to your doctor and finding a medication that works better for you. There are tons of AD s and one will work better than others. You do have to keep trying and giving the doctor feed back on what is working or not.  The very best to you

• Posted

hi karin, i dnt feel any bettter on them. i am still breaking down crying all the time and i feel so angry all the time. will keep trying until i find the right 1 for me. im at docs monday morning so will update u when i get home, xx
  • Posted

Good for you, it sounds like you've taken the steps to see the doctor soon.  I've been on antidepressants (on & off) since 1989.  What I found useful was to decide what side effects were tolerable and which ones weren't. Some AD made me very hyper, some too sleepy...it took a while, I think I tried 11 AD's over two years. I was very fortunate to have a doctor and counsellor who were patient with me and the process.

You probably know that many (most?) of the ADs take approximately 6 weeks to reach full potency and the body may go through incredible changes.  One thing I noticed over the years and with new ADs is how side effects just seem to drop away.  Mirtazapine and weight gain was an acception to that. \

Wishing you well and hope that you will find the right answers for yourself.  Thanks for keeping you sense of humour, in spite of the difficulties.

• Posted

I had a good laugh at your post. I am the opposit, I need to gain 30 lbs. Mirt helps me sleep, but for ten to twelve hours, I have then missed breakfast and lunch. Luckily I am retired, so eat when I eventually roll out of bed. I was a USA size 6 now 2, Dr put me on Mirt for sleep and weight gain, also helps with my anxiety and depression , my husband laughs as so many magazines are aimed at losing weight and here I am wanting to gain it. Chocolate is my best friend : ) 
    • Posted

hi crystal, we could do with doing a body swap. i need 2 lose 30lbs and would love 2 have 10 to 12 hours a night. my anxiety and depression still low. i know what u mean about magazines only ever talking about diets and showing skinny minnies. they need to start showing more women who live in the real world like myself and so many others. have u ever had CBT treatment? confused
    • Posted

Hi Crystal,

I been on Mir 15mg for less than a week. I'm loving it thus far. I'm seeing my doctor for a follow up in about 4 weeks. And I can relate to everything you just said.

Wish you the best!

Alicia

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.