MIRTAZAPINE - Side Affects - Electric Noise & Eat Eat Ea

Posted , 6 users are following.

[size=18:bc23d4e2e7][color=darkred:bc23d4e2e7]Hi there. If, like me, you are taking Mirtazapine (30mgs) you too will be hoping to find someone else who is experiencing some very odd side affects!

A little about me: I've been taking one a day (at night because they are - for me - a sedative) for nearly 7 months now since a rather large 'crash and burn' session in the control room at work.:cry:

To start with the tablets knocked me sideways. I felt as though I was talking and being talked to through a series of double glazed windows. Very odd, disjointed and well .... spaced out quite frankly. After about 8-10 weeks this calmed down and I was beginning to get my reality back a bit. I was told by my GP that these tablets do, infact, forcably slow you down. They certainly did that! It was all that I could do to get dressed in the morning, preferring just to sit infront of dribble on the TV. Sadly, with a 6-year old and a husband who does shift work, I CANT afford to slow down to this extent. I would say that, in my experience so far, the first 4-5 months were a bit of a blur.

I am now pulling out of the lethergy, only to have THE most amazing electric noise in my head every 20 minutes or so. Its so very hard to explain, but the best way I guess is; those plasma balls you see that when you touch them, the electric gravitates towards your hands - well, its THAT noise but in the part of your head which you cant explain! God, I really do sound quite mad don't I! It only lasts for about 2 seconds, but its enough to make me wince as though expecting a big firework to go off!

All the way along my appetite has increased - now upto 13 stone - but to hell with that, Ill deal with that when the inside of my head is better. :wink:

Sex life?! - I'd rather have a bacon sandwich and a cup of tea please! smile My fantastic, ever suffering husband is totally mental health illness free thank goodness and is, generally, understanding. I can't climax and my interest in anything sexual is less than zilch.

My husband tells me that I am generally very calm now - I have no highs and no lows (and I miss both of those) but I have also lost my spirit, my drive, my fight which makes me who I am.

Happy days are ahead or atleast that's what I'm told.

Happy to hear from anyone who is taking these tablets .... especially from those who have similar experiences. Its a big world out there and I feel quite alone in my mine. xx[/color:bc23d4e2e7][/size:bc23d4e2e7]

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi pippa, i have had those noise's in my head too it,s been when my dose is increased or reduced, like a zap in your brain. I have been off mirtazapine for about 5 weeks now and i have experienced those noises also had them with other anti dep. Mirtazapine stopped working for me on the sleep side so stopped taking them , i have lost some of the weight that i put on whilst on them. I am still on sertraline and hoping to slowly come off them too.
  • Posted

Hi Pippa

I have had tinnitus since taking mirtazapine which Drs dont seem to be worrired about although its not their noise,sex drive gone like yours but husband not able to cope,go to Dr re noises there are other meds to take and you dont have to put up with side effects

Love Jo

• Posted

[quote:01741f84f6=\"megapolitico\"]Hi Pippa

I have had tinnitus since taking mirtazapine which Drs dont seem to be worrired about although its not their noise,sex drive gone like yours but husband not able to cope,go to Dr re noises there are other meds to take and you dont have to put up with side effects

Love Jo[/quote:01741f84f6]

Hi Jo.

Thanks for your feedback. Im due to see the quack again in the new year and am wanting to 'down' the dosage soon anyway. On the whole, they have worked for me ..... and certainly found that the benefits have out-weighed the side affects. It is really refreshing to find others who are having this noise too. I wouldnt wish it on anyone, but Im glad Im not alone. Like you, the doctor didnt seem particularly bothered about the noise and the sex drive issue - but then I guess they are there to sort the internal workings out first, hoping that the rest falls into place. Sorry to hear that your partner isnt coping. I cant imagine what it is like for them. You kinda hope they will be there come \"sickness and health\" like they promised, but some dont measure up sadly. Look after yourself sweetie xx

• Posted

[quote:727d02aaa5=\"charlies girl\"]Hi pippa, i have had those noise's in my head too it,s been when my dose is increased or reduced, like a zap in your brain. I have been off mirtazapine for about 5 weeks now and i have experienced those noises also had them with other anti dep. Mirtazapine stopped working for me on the sleep side so stopped taking them , i have lost some of the weight that i put on whilst on them. I am still on sertraline and hoping to slowly come off them too.[/quote:727d02aaa5]

Hi Charlies Girl

Lovely to hear from you. Are you coming off them slowly under guidance from your GP or are you going it alone?Sorry I cant reply on a private message. I've only just signed up and am waiting for the administrator permission thingie to go through.

Lots of love

Pippa x

• Posted

Hi pipa, i had to come off them for a week after my dose was increased to 30mg the increase made me restless and unable to sleep. I was then advised to go back on them but back to 15mg and the same thing happend don't know why it had this affect on me bcuz i had been fine until the increase in dosage. I just came straight off them and have been ok except for brain zaps which are less now apparently this noise is the nerves in the brain. I was on them for about 5 months had problems sleeping and eating so they did help me. I am loosing my appetite again and am afraid to take them incase the same thing happens to me. I am still on sertraline and am down to 25mg snapping the 50mg tablet in half so far i have been fine. Last time i tried to come off too quickly and had terrible anxiety so i am being carefull. They also effected my sex life which i think most anti dep do. Keep in touch, speak soon... :wink:
  • Posted

Hello Pippa welcome to the forum. Hi to Jo and Charlies girl. I think that the noises in the head are our nerve endings adjusting to the increasing serotonin levels in the brain. I sure I read that somewhere but because it has been continuing I'm not really sure of that. I have put on weight like most of you and was doing well with the weight loss until Christmas so it is back to weight watchers for me. Have not noticed a decrease in sexual desire rather the opposite except in the early stages. The ability to climax remains unchanged quite reasurring one thing my poor body can still do. I'm not sure how long I want to be on all my meds as I'm on rather a lot. It would be nice to decrease some of them. I see the psychiatrist in the New Year. Happy New Year to you all.
  • Posted

[quote:a478bd0315=\"charlies girl\"]Hi pipa, i had to come off them for a week after my dose was increased to 30mg the increase made me restless and unable to sleep. I was then advised to go back on them but back to 15mg and the same thing happend don't know why it had this affect on me bcuz i had been fine until the increase in dosage. I just came straight off them and have been ok except for brain zaps which are less now apparently this noise is the nerves in the brain. I was on them for about 5 months had problems sleeping and eating so they did help me. I am loosing my appetite again and am afraid to take them incase the same thing happens to me. I am still on sertraline and am down to 25mg snapping the 50mg tablet in half so far i have been fine. Last time i tried to come off too quickly and had terrible anxiety so i am being carefull. They also effected my sex life which i think most anti dep do. Keep in touch, speak soon... :wink:[/quote:a478bd0315]

Hi again Charlies Girl. Well, Im all \"registered\" and ready to go - sorry about the delay in replying. It certainly sounds as though you've had a nightmare on your medication. I too have heard that the electric 'noise' could be down to neurons in the brain re-igniting themselves. Its very odd tho - being able to hear your brain! Although it happens most of the time with no apparent triggers, it appears to be worst towards the end of the day. Did you find that too? I went to the doctors to talk about lowering my dosage, and he wasnt keen for me to do this, saying that he wants me to be stable on them first. Not sure what that means exactly, but hey, he is the expert - apparently!

Sounds silly doesnt it - but the sex-life side of things, whilst not being up there in the top 10 of priorities - I do miss the intimacy tho. Sadly my husband usually interprets a cuddle as a come-on, so to avoid the problem of appearing to lead him on ..... I just stay well clear. Its not the answer, and I should be able to talk to him about it, but as with everything, unless you have experienced anti-depressants (which he hasn't) he cant really sympathise or empathise.

....... but on we must go.

Take care xx

• Posted

[quote:71d53d3f77=\"Pooh bear\"]Hello Pippa welcome to the forum. Hi to Jo and Charlies girl. I think that the noises in the head are our nerve endings adjusting to the increasing serotonin levels in the brain. I sure I read that somewhere but because it has been continuing I'm not really sure of that. I have put on weight like most of you and was doing well with the weight loss until Christmas so it is back to weight watchers for me. Have not noticed a decrease in sexual desire rather the opposite except in the early stages. The ability to climax remains unchanged quite reasurring one thing my poor body can still do. I'm not sure how long I want to be on all my meds as I'm on rather a lot. It would be nice to decrease some of them. I see the psychiatrist in the New Year. Happy New Year to you all.[/quote:71d53d3f77]

Hi Pooh Bear

Nice to see a fellow 'Essex Girl' on the site!

It was lovely of you to contribute. It takes alot of courage. I have come to the conclusion that, thankfully, I'm not alone. Its so nice to hear that there are others who are feeling it too.

As I sit here with my spare tyre resting against the keyboard (nice?!) I hate the fact that my body appears to be suffering as a result of my mental wellbeing. I just keep everything crossed (with the exception of my ears, cos thats impossible!) that eventually I will loose this weight. Ive put on nearly a stone in 7 months!

One good thing tho - my boobs are huge now but sadly the sexdrive doesnt allow for them to be taken advantage of!!

Ahh, yes - did anyone else experience THE most amazing itching on the soles of their feet and also really horrendous fidgets in their legs at night?! - just another side affect I was told by the GP - but it wasnt listed in the leaflet - neither were the electric feelings!!

Anyway, enough for now - my bath becons.

Thanks again, please stay intouch xx

• Posted

Hi Pippa,

I have just read your initial post and whilst I found reassurance in the fact that I am supposed to feel like zombie, I dont think I can cope with it! I like to exercise by boxing, running etc, but I feel drunk all of the time. I feel the same as you in respect of the weight gain, I will lose it in a flash when I get back to some kind of normality (whatever that is) But i feel like everyone is looking at me and talking about me! I feel sorry for the people around me (wife and 2 kids) I mainly feel like my time is up and to just go quietly and allow my family to be able to move on.

I cannot spend the next couple of months like this, I just cant. Good luck.

• Posted

[quote:af6440aee3=\"William\"]Hi Pippa,

I have just read your initial post and whilst I found reassurance in the fact that I am supposed to feel like zombie, I dont think I can cope with it! I like to exercise by boxing, running etc, but I feel drunk all of the time. I feel the same as you in respect of the weight gain, I will lose it in a flash when I get back to some kind of normality (whatever that is) But i feel like everyone is looking at me and talking about me! I feel sorry for the people around me (wife and 2 kids) I mainly feel like my time is up and to just go quietly and allow my family to be able to move on.

I cannot spend the next couple of months like this, I just cant. Good luck.[/quote:af6440aee3]

Hi William

I really do sympathise and I would be lying if I said that it gets better - but if its any consollation the first few months are the worst then you, well, learn to live with it I guess. I too used to be active, very active ... never kept still actually, but I have to confess I'm looking forward to the day when I can get up and actually feel energetic! These tablets, I'm told, are designed to slow you down - RIGHT down ..... but to what cost tho? I often hear my husband say \"where has your fight gone?\" and \"you're just a shell ..... where has the real Pippa gone?\"

If you can stick with them, atleast give them a chance for a few months, I feel sure that you will see the light at the end of the tunnel.

I can only speak for my own experience, and I'm certainly not a doctor, but these tablets do take alot longer to work than say Prozac ....? but its a personal choice. I sincerely hope you find some relief soon, perhaps on different tablets.

Kindest regards xx

• Posted

I'm on 30mg of mirtazapine aswell with the likely good of going up to 45mg

I have realised that I don't need to eat everytime my mirtazapine brain tell me too x i too coukd sleep better at first just on the 15mg now I can't sleep atal i have just stopped drinking tho 6 days ago and come off venaxx

Electric shocks and zapping n tinnitus r the main things that r bothering me about these meds. I thought it was withdrawals of other things at first but seems like it's mirtazapine to blame. I'm going to ring doc tomoz and ask if there's anything that can calm the zapping ha x its mad innit!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.