mirtazapine side effect

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi

I have been on Mirtazapine now for about 6 months, I was on 15mg for 3 months then my doc upped it to 30mg, I went through a VERY bad patch one day and felt that ill my wife called the doctor out, anyway he gave me some valium to calm me down as I was in a right state, and increased the Mirtazapine to 45mg. I felt bloody terrible after the increase to 45mg, I was sort of spaced out all the time so I reduced it myself back to 30mg. Thing is, although it seems to be helping with the depression I don't feel like doing anything, by that I mean absolutely nothing, I just sit in the kitchen staring out of the window all day, I have no motivation at all, Its as if the depression is still there but I dont feel depressed, its very difficult to explain really. I just feel useless. I feel tired all the time, and sort of \"out of touch with reality\" Has anyone else experienced this with Mirtazapine?

I'm going up to see my doc on Tuesday as I want to come off this mirtazapine as its doing my head in.

any suggestions greatly appreciated.

regards

Roger

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi vangellis, I know what you mean about lack of motivation I think it is partly due to the Mirt and also part of the depression, I like you feel down especially in the mornings not realy depressed as I used to be but more than just flat, I have been through a few AD's and Mirt seems to suit me best the others increased my anxiety, I was on 45mg for some time and have now reduced to a qtr of a 15mg tab, I am still sleeping ok but waking quite early, the weird dreams I used to get with these seem to have alomst stopped, I also am at the headache and sicky stage that others have described when getting off of these, I would try to reduce down and give these a bit more time as all ADs have side effects, as you reduce you will find the fog lifting as I have.

all the best hope you get a result.

• Posted

Hi Colin, thank's for your reply, it appears you are getting the same sort of side effects as I am. I have now cut down to 15mg, have been on that for 5 days, tonight, I'm going down to 7.5mg and see how I get on with that.

With me, after I finally manage to drag myself from my bed around noon I feel VERY sluggish with no motivation at all, but after about 5 hours I sort of come round and seem to be able to start to do simple everyday things that \"in the mornings\" are impossible. I'm almost certain that it's the Mirtazapine causing this as things are improving regarding motivation since I reduced the dose, as I seem to \"come round\" after about 2 hours now instead of 5 hours, so with a bit of luck the drop to 7.5mg may make things better. I will persevere with this 7.5mg for a week then drop it again to half of the 7.5mg ( about 3.8mg) or as near as I can get it anyway.

Cheers for replying to me, I appreciate your comments.

best regards

vangellis

• Posted

I have been on 15mg of mirt and 40mg flouxetine, Felt ok on just flou but since mirt I have been having joint pain, muscle ache, shivers, anxiety in the throat, I am stopping tonight.

Eileen

• Posted

Hi

I'm Andy. I'm on day 10 of Mirtazapine, and I must admit I'm feeling a bit odd. I know it's early days though. Last night I was feeling quite angry and manic. Today I'm feeling a little 'spaced' and 'trippy' I'm quite lethargic, but I'm not feeling bad as such. It is indeed a very difficult feeling to describe. I'm sleeping like a log, which is a Godsend! My Doctor suggested this drug because of my insomnia. In the past I've tried Prozac and Venlafaxine for my clinical depression, but these worsened the insomnia. I'm going to stick with Mirtazapine and persevere with any odd effects I experience. I'm not having any dreams that I can remember, but a few nights ago I had an instance of 'restless legs syndrome' but in my arms..if that makes sense. This is apparently a very rare side effect, and it hasn't reoccured. I have my hopes for this drug.

Good luck to you all :-)

Andy

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.