Mirtazapine side effects

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, I have been taking mirtazapine 15mg at night for four days now. It seems to be helping more than any SSRI I have been prescribed because it helps me sleep and ssri made my insomnia worse. As for anxiety and depression it also takes the edge off. However, I feel drowsy when waking and most of the day, I guess that beats being miserable and having constant panic attacks but does anyone know if the spaced out effect wears off when awake? Im supposed to take 30mg but just testing it out as I think that may just wipe me out.

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

It will ease up, especially as you go higher on the dosage, believe it or not!! Glad it is helping. Drowsiness is more pronounced on the lower doses. Strange, huh?
  • Posted

Hi Jim,

Glad to hear the Mirtazapine is mostly working for you. I've been on it 15+ years and it works well for sleep, and possibly some anxiety. I usually wake groggy but it wears off or I've adjusted to it over time. I feel safe to drive or operate machinery. Remember that we are all different and react differently to the meds. There is no magic pill, most antidepressants, anti-anxiety, anti-convulsantsm, mood stablizers etc. have some side effects. We each have to decide what we are willing to tolerate.  The best to you.

• Posted

Hi Jim ...you report similar experiences and thoughts to what I had when I first went onto Mirtazapine.

You are in the 'suck n see' phase ..having not long started on your 15mg.

Maybe it would be a good idea if you write down your start day ...along with a daily entry as regards how you feel each day. THEN in the not too distant future you can check to see the effects Mirtazapine had on you over time. Personally, I think as things 'level off' you like many people (but not necessarily all people) will be left with some positive wecolmed effects ...AND some unwelcome side effects ...BUT only time will tell. You may in the end have found the drug that works near perfectly for you...as I said, time will tell.

I hope all goes well...

Much peace to you and all...

• Posted

Nice posting.
    • Posted

If you notice ...I was just reiterating something you said Karin (I just said it in a different way).

Especially hope YOU are coping today and having respite from the battle. Regards!

• Posted

Thanks for the advice, I guess I'll just stick at it and see what happens. I'll try the 30mg tonight and see as I was prescribed that to begin with but from previous experience with escitalopram, GPs don't always get the start dose right so I take the smallest dose possible and go up from there.
    • Posted

I wouldn't go up too fast, Jim. Maybe after a week. Let your body get used to the drug. Just a suggestion...good luck.
    • Posted

[..."GPs don't always get the start dose right so I take the smallest dose possible and go up from there"...]

I don't think 15mg is the smallest dose. In any event, from 15mg >>>30mg in just a few days raises my eyebrows (humbly). Maybe [maybe] another consultation with the prescribing GP/Doctor is in order. Atleast that way you can provide some 'early days' Intel on how well things were going on the start dose. He/she MAY advise you stick it out on the 15mg for atleast 2-4 weeks (or longer, before make any +/- changes to the dose OR type of medication.

Just my humble unqualified thoughts...

Best wishes 2 everyone fighting the fight against anxiety/poor mental health!

• Posted

Thank you for your good wishes Karl.  I'm doing pretty good these days - I am bipolar and since we've found the right combination of drugs my life is going well. I think it's important to stay positive on this forum, as so many are struggling with their meds and illnesses. I'm in a paradim shift - working to trun my bipolar disorder into bipolar inorder. biggrin 
    • Posted

Wish I could say I truly know how you feel ..or fully appreciate your challenges, BUT we both know only YOU know how you feel etc..

STILL its extremely comforting to me to know there are some kindred spirits around; even if they are many many miles away.

I echo your thoughts about it being important to remain positive on this forum ..although again we and others know its not always easy. Actually, that's a big crux for many of us ...even simple things most people take for granted (like being positive) for us is a precious and hard to come by commodity.

May you Karin take joy from the fact you've shared positive vibes here online ...you've certainly given me food for thought.

Regards Karl (UK)

• Posted

The Gp prescribed it as 30mg to start, but I did research and thought that was way too high.
    • Posted

Megewetch ( In Objiway that means thank you from the heart.)

Yuppers, "even simple things most people take forgranted (like being positive) for usis a preciou and hard to come by commodity"  - You too have given me things to think about and that is the purpose of having a forum.

My struggles and challenges aren't so bad, once I disengage from the past. Looking back I can only see a life strewn with wounded family and friends...can't erase that and it's heartbreaking. I want to live the rest of my life in as kind and gentle a manner as is possible.

For me, being bipolar before meds was like being a frinking yo-yo.  I was only diagnosed 7 years ago, and it's been tough. However, I've walked  through the fire - and it's good on this side. Keep in touch,  Karin

• Posted

Yes Jim I noted that from your initial posting/comments ...

Alot of folk (or should I say 'some') having been prescribed a drug or an amount tend to self medicate or de-medicate...meaning to say that having seen their doc and walked out of the surgery, once home they either increase/decrease the previously agreed 'suck n see' amount and/or take and then stop taking the prescribed drug all together. All often without the Prescriber being made aware. Ultimately the prescribing GP/Clinical Practitioner SHOULD or NEEDS to be kept in the loop - It is they whoever he/she is that SHOULD SUREL be overseeing and monitoring the patient.

If you asked say 10 savvy Mirtazapine users on here for their opinions as far as your situation you may gain some useful insight by consensus. Although I again stress the importance for keeping a properly trained accountable clinical practitioner in the loop.

Personally? One thing I've grown to realise about the human brain and ones thought processes when one is experiencing 'poor mental health' ...we (I) can have a skewed even illogical incorrect handle on reality and what we percieve as being the right course of action or the truth (e.g. glass half empty? I think I'll take 'X' not 'Y' etc etc). Simply put, we can convince ourselves that WE know best etc. For this reason, like a boxer fighting a fight ..we should have someone in our corner; someone experienced and who has our best interests at heart ..and who can observe and monitor and evaluate AND help guide us. This role in the context of being a patient with poor MH (anxiety/depression etc) I would imagine would/should be the prescribing GP/Practioner.

Really hope that makes atleast a little sense and I haven't overcomplicated things.

• Posted

My psychiarist prescribes 7.5 mg for sleep disorders, he will go up to 15 if the lower dose isn't working.
    • Posted

Guess I will stay at 15 for a few weeks see how it works out. Hope you are recovering well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.