Mirtazapine side effects

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have read through so many threads about mirtazapine side effects but has anyone experienced such fluctuation is symptoms?? I always wake up groggy (although this constantly varies in intensity) and I go for several days feeling pretty good,

Followed by several days where I have a constant headache, tired eyes, sore throat, generally unwell feeling.

I have been on mirtazapine for nearly 18months. I was originally put in 30mg, cut down to 15mg and then 7.5mg. Over two months I have slowly tapered from 7.5 to 5.25mg using liquid mirt. Are these withdrawal symptoms I'm experiencing despite tapering so slowly? I generally have more energy now that I'm on lower dose, but the other ailments are really getting me down. Can't wait to be off this stuff!

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I am at same stage as you but i am finding anxiety and depression are worsening as i drop down. Sleep is also not good.  Do you not have any of these problems?

i also still wake groggy and have one or two passable days then the anxiety gets worse. No headache or sore throat but feel unwell.

not sure i can face getting down to next step 3.75 if this is what im going to get.  Do you think these are withdrawal symptoms and have to be worked through or signs that depression has not got better

• Posted

Hi, I wouldn't know about the depression side of in honest. Perhaps stay on your dose and 'stabilise' before dropping again. Lots of research I have done says not to be afraid to go back up a dose if you felt better on that for a time, stabilise then reduce again but perhaps see your doctor. 

Sorry you're not feeling so good on it either.

• Posted

Hello Dee...

I have been withdrawing since the end of march this year so it has been almost six months, I felt terrible like never before in my life with anxiety and lots of different symptoms including the ones you just mentioned...there were times I felt like i  was going to die and there were other days I thought everything was better for good, so I completely understand how you feel...my worse symptoms had been clenching and grinding on my teeth, my anxiety has been so bad that during the day I clench and when I somehow get to sleep I grind and I have developed sores all over my mouth...very frustrating....hang in there and don't give up, I too come to this site to find someone who can relate, and who assure Me that it will be ok...none of Us here are alone we have each other....Feel better honey!

• Posted

Thank you! Are u off mirtazapine now? Poor you. I also get days where I just feel so exhausted - did you get that too? It feels like it's never ending and it doesn't make sense how I can have such a good run of days feeling well and then suddenly feel awful for a string of days. My doctor can't believe that such a tiny dose of medication can cause such effects but surely it had to be something I'm putting in my body?! Just my brain adjusting? 

• Posted

Hello Dee...

Yes I too feel exhausted sometimes I get to sleep during the day from 4 hours to 6 hours, I got to the point where I take whatever i can get whether is during the day or at night i just want to sleep...I've never felt this way before so I keep telling myself is withdrawing from this horrible pill,... I'm done with the pill completely my last pill of 30mg was at the end of march this year I didn't tapper which probably made this even harder like I said never before was I in a situation like this so I don't have anything to compare with, but I'm hoping and praying this will be over soon so I just take things one day at a time cause I was sure going crazy with all this symptoms!

• Posted

Hi Dee et al

The symptoms you describe do sound like WD in MHO; is best to slow it down even more probably to avoid symptoms, not you necessarily Dee, but for those who suffer with anxiety ugh ... the worst symptom next to insomnia that some suffer getting off this horrid drug.  

Lucky if you can get the liquid, if not maybe make your own to enable getting smaller cuts.

\wishing you well smile  

• Posted

Thanks for replying. Do you still think what I'm experiencing is something to do with the drug though? It's just so inconsistent! Have felt like poo all day! Really unwell. This is the pattern, it will pass again in a few days. 

• Posted

Yes that's the nature of the beast that is Mirt'/Remeron ... symptoms can come in windows and waves.  

Whilst I was tapering and stuck at 0.5 mg I got these symptoms continuously.  I think its key to listen to your body and respect that changes are happening, rest & recharge when you can ~ even if its only for 30 mins after lunch, every little helps.

• Posted

Thank you. That's exactly it. Waves and bad spells followed by better. Thank you,

You've reassured me. 

• Posted

Hi calmer, is there a private messaging tool in here where I can speak to u by message? 
    • Posted

I am now on week 5 of being on 5.25mg and today and yesterday I have been so fatigued and felt fluey and horrible. Reassurance please! 
    • Posted

Hi Dee, can we stick to talking here if you don't mind, it's just that I'm feeling overloaded.  

Fatigue & flu like symptoms to come whilst tapering.  Try and stick to a slow taper schedule, no more than 10% every 3/4 weeks, even that is too fast for some folk & they do 5% every 2 weeks (me too).  

Not sure if I said already but click on my name & follow/ copy & paste the links for advice.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.