Mirtazapine side effects

Posted , 14 users are following.

Hi

im a 65 year old lady who has been on Mirtazapine 30mg for just over a year now. At first I thought it was brilliant I sleep well and the reasons I went on the drug have really now sorted themselves out. My problems are and I’ve only just realised that maybe it’s Mirtazapine causing it is all the time I feel so lethargic, no energy whatsoever, aching,can’t stand for long periods, problems with IBS which I never had prior to taking them plus a lot of weight gain. 

What id like to do is come off of them so last night I took only 15mg.

could anyone advise if I’m doing the right thing plus how long should I take to come off of them. 

I know I’m 65 but I have never felt so ill and lifeless.  I’ve had blood tests etc in the last 6 months all come back fine.

2 likes, 30 replies

30 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi I'm the same age and been on mirtazapine I think your doing the right thing as long as you feel ok on 15mg I would put a lot more but feeling unwell xxxxx

• Posted

Hi I'm the same age and been on mirtazapine I think your doing the right thing as long as you feel ok on 15mg I would put a lot more but feeling unwell xxxx

• Posted

Oh yes I'm not taking anymore that's not why I'm feeling poorly though some people have terrible withdrawal from them but fortunately I never have l hope your ok with them the only reason I started taking them again was to gain some weight as I was so painfully thin xxxx

• Posted

Hi carolynne 

just be careful as the drop you have made is really huge it can take up to a week before withdrawals might hit you ,you might be lucky enough and be one of the people who don't hit with withdrawals 

live been on all different doses of mirt but my doc dropped me doc from 30mg to 15mg  and after around 4 days I was hit with every withdrawal I know..

do you use facebook ? Or could you set a Facebook up as there is a people who has used to this site for help regarding tapering or getting of mirtazapine..

let me know if you have Facebook or if you can set it up and il give you the details in finding the page..

its been really great for most of us as it is just people like ourselves who are on or was on mirtazapine 

kaz  

• Posted

Carolynne, my advice to you is to go back to 30mg tonite. Then institute a slow taper. A 50% reduction is way too much. A 10% reduction of the dose per month with a "wait and see" attitude is close to standard. Best wishes

• Posted

I was on 15 mg for a year. I did a fast taper after trying twice with no success getting off.

2 days at 7.5.   Then 2 days at 3.5.

Then stopped totally.  The sleep isn’t as good but I feel more alive.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.