Mirtazapine Side Effects and withdrawl

Posted , 3 users are following.

I was on Mirtazapine for four months and two days.   What side effects of stopping it should I be ready for?    I was put on it due to the fact that I was not sleeping and was very worried (I had been diagnosed with atrial fibbrillation that I think was caused by stress).    Anyway, had a cardioversion done and responded well.    But I kept taking the medication.   Well, I've been drowsy, had issues with coordination, trouble concentrating, etc. and I THINK it was the Mirtazapine.   So, I quit taking it two days ago.   I informed my doctor and he is OK with me not taking it anymore.    

Im just wondering what to look out for now that I'm off it.  I sleep well without it which is good. 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I also have AF & the Dr put me on them for stress the only side effect I seemed to have was headache only took them for about 6 weeks (hate tablets) had no reaction at all now & again I take one as a sleeping pill 
  • Posted

Depends what dosage you were on.  Most people taper off but you may have been taking a low dosage (15mg or less).  

Its not generally recommended to just stop taking them, however you've stopped them for 2 days already and seem okay so I would say just go with it and see what happens you can always start taking half a 15mg pill or similar if you do get withdrawal effects.

Withdrawal effect are varies but commonly insomnia, increased anxiety, brain zaps etc.  However Mirtazapine has a short half life 20-40 hours so if you've stopped for 2 days already you're already on the way to getting the drug out your system.

Good luck!

• Posted

Well, it sure works as a sleeping pill!   I was on 15 mG a day, taken in the evening.   Anyway, I had my second night of good sleep without it (I did take 5 mG of Melatonin, which I took often back before I was on Mirtazapine). 

So far, so good.  

Thanks everyone for your responses.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.