Mirtazapine side effects!! HELP

Posted , 3 users are following.

hi,

34 year old!! i have been on mirtazapine 30mg now for four weeks after being on citalopram 20mg for years. i have experienced some effects and unsure if its just my body adjusting. i have put on over a stone in 4 weeks which is fine as i was only 9st to start with. im always craving food. my stomach is so bloated i fear something else is wrong. it doesnt feel sore. just tight. some days my body aches and i get pins and needles as well. as far as my mood... i have times where ending my life has consumed me. also i feel like i have no emotions... its strange. no happy feeling or sad feeling... nothing. if anyone else has just started or can relate please message me.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

First and most importantly, it sounds like you're struggling and I strongly suggest you get in touch with your Doctor asap. Why did you switch away from Citalopram? What was your mood like before you started Mirtazapine? Did you start with 30 mg of Mirtazapine right away? I'm ultra sensitive to antidepressants and could not tolerate Citalopram or Escitalopram even at low doses (or other SSRIs tried in the distant past). Because of my sensitivity, I started Mirtazapine at much lower doses than typically prescribed and titrated the dose up gradually, but never got over 15 mg which is the usual starting dose, although many patients increase this to higher doses like 30 and even 45 mg.

I've had only a partial response to Mirtazapine, but more than I had with Citalopram or Escitalopram - although with those the side effects were so intense I never got to the usual therapeutic dose. However, if I increase my Mirtazapine to try for larger effect, I actually start to feel worse. Again - I'm ultra-sensitive, this would not be the case for many others.

Gastrointestinal issues are quite common with Mirtazapine. For me the worst was bloating with constipation which on lower doses seem to fade somewhat over time, but did get worse when I've tried increasing the dose.

But - again - you really need to contact your Doctor asap, especially for the mood issues you're describing. I wouldn't recommend stopping or adjusting your dose before contacting your Doctor, but I encourage you to contact him/her quickly and tell your Doctor the things you have posted here.

• Posted

Eat lighter foods and eat more soups, protein is good because they are more filling foods and satisfy the stomach more.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.