Mirtazapine sleep dosage?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi guys I have been on Mirtazapine for the last couple of months mostly for insomnia. Firstly I was on 15mg at night which helped keep me asleep for at least 5 hours before waking. My doctor thought I would benefit by upping the dose to 30mg but since then I've not slept as well. I seem to find that dose mentally stimulating -not helpful before bedtime. And that dose actually seems to increase my anxiety a little too. Do some of you find 15mg much more sedating than 30mg like I do? And should I try the 15mg again? Thanks.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

7.5mg best dose for sleep as its more sedative, 15mg is ok but anything above that no! honestly docs have no clue, also its a bloody hard drug to come off and i dont think it should be prescribed for sleep myself, i went through hell when i stopped xx

• Posted

I think you're right docs don't have a clue. For a couple of weeks I took Zopiclone for sleep but my doc said it was addictive and put me on Mirtazapine which from what I hear has bad withdrawal symptoms if stopped. I find the sleep on Zopiclone to have no hangover effect (unlike Mirtazapine) but I was treated like a druggy when I asked for more. Surely sleep deprivation is worse than being hooked on sleeping pills. Some of us just have a really difficult time falling and staying asleep, sometimes like my case for no apparent reason.

• Posted

I started on 30mg which wasn't good, couldn't sleep, irritable etc.. After reducing to 15mgs I was so much better, sleeping and calm, I've decided to come off it now so I've been taking 7.5mg for the last month and honestly I've never slept so much!

That's the one thing I'm dreading is not being able to sleep when I eventually finish with mirtazapine.

• Posted

7.5 mg or less. I Found that sticking with 3.75 worked well for me. it was just enough. the least dose you can take the better. when you finally decide to get off it wont be to much of a dose to taper down.

• Posted

hi, i found 3.75 mg better for sleep than any other dose. like previous post easier to withdraw from on lower dosage.

• Posted

Thanks for the replies. Mirtazapine seems a weird drug that a tiny speck of it makes you more sleepy than high dosages. I don't want to be on this drug forever so I might slowly taper down the dosage over the coming months. Just hope I can get some sleep when I come off it completely.

• Posted

when tapering down, you may find yourself with a couple sleepless nights as your body adapts to each time you do a cut. try not to freak out and be okay with it. stabilize until sleep pattern becomes okay again then schedule another cut.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.