Mirtazapine slow withdrawal

Posted , 9 users are following.

Well I can't claim that I wasn't forewarned. I'm very slowly reducing the mirtazapine, from 30 to 22.5mg, one day a week, then twice a week and I've reached every 3 days. So far I'd had little adverse effects, apart from not sleeping so well the nights after the reduced dose but even that had resolved. Then last night I woke up in the middle of the night with brain and body zaps. It was disconcerting, to say the least, although not too upsetting and it took me a while to get back to sleep so I'm tired today. So I shall be staying on this level until I'm sure my body has got used to it.it's obviously going to take a LONG TIME! It shows that withdrawal effects don't necessarily appear straight away.

1 like, 16 replies

16 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hey doll, I was on 15mg for 2 years and I weaned myself off them like you did only slower.

I took a tablet every other night for 2 month.

Then every three nights for 3 months.

Then every four nights for 4 months.

It took a while but I had no withdrawal symptoms at all when lowering the doses. The only symptoms I had was when I stopped taking them completely... And they were itchy skin & a decrease in appetite.

Unfortunately my depression came back so I had to go back on them but it's shown me that they are possible to come off.

Good luck x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.