Mirtazapine starting

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi All, I am from Australia Melbourne to be percise and would really apprecaite peoples thoughts. So some 12 months ago I had a major panic attack due to smoking cannabise. It lasted or 6 hours and every mucle in my body was twitiching out of fear. I haven't touched it ever since, i dont think any sane person would. I don't want to write my life story but basically i got 3 more anxiety attacks after that incident which were no induced ny any substances. This got me panicing and I was on vallium for 3 weeks while starting a drug called arropax. started at 20mg and went up to 50mg and have been on it for 12 month. I found that it was working but the last 3 months I have been feeling anxiety and depression and mainly insomnia for a while. sorry whithin the 12 month of taking arropax i have been excerising and tried CBT with more then 3 phycologists. Under the recommendations from a phycistrist I have started Mirtazapine and gradually reduced arropax from 50mg to 40mg to 30 etc weekly and at 10mg i started taking 7.5mg of mirtazapine. If i havent lost you so far, I starting taking 10mg of arropax in the morning and 7.5mg of mirtazapine while also taking 5mg of vallium. I then under the supervision of my gp was told take 15mg of mirtazapine with stop the arropax completely. I have been taking 15mg for mirtazapine for 1 week and tomorrow I will start 30mg of mirtazapine. OK so I am feeling irrational angre and anxiety has increased to a certain extent. I went to the gp today because I was experincing not so much anxiety but mood swings and a lot of agression so I took a vallium and it somewhat simmered down. I went to the gp to explain what happened and he told me to take 30mg with a vallium a day untill we reach a more theroprudic dose. I have vowed to myself to do what the professional tell me but in my mind I wanted to stop all of the anxiety/depression pills period and just cope it on the head and see what happens, worse comes to worse i thought i would take a vallium and if it didn't get better then I will start over with mirtazapine, these were only thoughts in mind because I have done heaps of research and it scientests have no proven the chemical imbalance theory and really do not 100% know how to cure anxiety. There is are theories about these drugs and most of them have heaps of unwanted side affects like my irrational angre. Anyway I am still sad mainly because I can't hold a job or a relationship. I am now going to try a new type of therpy called Phychoanalitical therapy which is the tradtional way of actaully looking into your past and reconciling with whatever it is that is making me this way. I will start my new dose of 30mg tomorrow and 1 valluim per day. It feels debilitating that I have to take vallium with something that is meant to control my anxiety but I am only taking it because the irritation and edgyness is so drastic that i can't be myself, just always on edge. The hope is that eventually the drug will kick in and will drop of the vallium and increase it to 45mg or so while going to the gym and trying this new phychotherpy i have never done before. The gp says that if i am stil feeling really angry and sensitive then we will have to try something else. I am confused hence why I am using this forum to get idea to help me ease through this process. Thanks everyone in advance.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

To be honest, I would come off the mirtazapine. It makes some people very angry and once it does this, I have never heard anyone say it has improved. It's also a very potent drug and very difficult to come off once you have been on it a long time. It can be a very good and effective antidepressant for many people, but if it is going to work for you, it tends to work very quickly (usually within a week - 3 max).
    • Posted

Thank you Evergreen. I can feel its helping a bit with my anxiety and depression to a certain extent but the edgy state doesn't do away unless I take a vallium. I was speaking to a friend who told me to just go to the phycitrist and tell them I want to get off the drug. I am not sure what to do because I have really just been suppressing any withdrawal symptoms from my previous medication aropax with vallium and now also suppressing the side affects of mirtazapine with vallium also. Its 3am here in Australia and for I took 15mg of mirtazapine and cant sleep. I am seriously considering just stopping mirtazapine and copping with any anxiety or low moods. If things get unbearable I will take a vallium noy sure
    • Posted

Thank you Evergreen. I can feel its helping a bit with my anxiety and depression to a certain extent but the edgy state doesn't do away unless I take a vallium. I was speaking to a friend who told me to just go to the phycitrist and tell them I want to get off the drug. I am not sure what to do because I have really just been suppressing any withdrawal symptoms from my previous medication aropax with vallium and now also suppressing the side affects of mirtazapine with vallium also. Its 3am here in Australia and for I took 15mg of mirtazapine and cant sleep. I am seriously considering just stopping mirtazapine and copping with any anxiety or low moods. If things get unbearable I will take a vallium not sure if that's the best way moving forward but when I firsy had my anxiety attack I was shocked and bewildered but now that I know what anxiety is and that its not in essence real I feel that I can just let it come and then hopefully it will go with time excessive and psychotherapy.
    • Posted

Thank you Evergreen. I can feel its helping a bit with my anxiety and depression to a certain extent but the edgy state doesn't do away unless I take a vallium. I was speaking to a friend who told me to just go to the phycitrist and tell them I want to get off the drug. I am not sure what to do because I have really just been suppressing any withdrawal symptoms from my previous medication aropax with vallium and now also suppressing the side affects of mirtazapine with vallium also. Its 3am here in Australia and for I took 15mg of mirtazapine and cant sleep. I am seriously considering just stopping mirtazapine and copping with any anxiety or low moods. If things get unbearable I will take a vallium not sure if that's the best way moving forward but when I firsy had my anxiety attack I was shocked and bewildered but now that I know what anxiety is and that its not in essence real I feel that I can just let it come and then hopefully it will go with time excessive and psychotherapy.
    • Posted

• Posted

Thank you. I can feel its helping a bit with my anxiety and depression to a certain extent but the edgy/angry state doesn't do away unless I take a vallium. I was speaking to a friend who told me to just go to the phycitrist and tell them I want to get off the drug. I am not sure what to do because I have really just been suppressing any withdrawal symptoms from my previous medication aropax with vallium and now also suppressing the side affects of mirtazapine with vallium also. Its 3am here in Australia and can't sleep for some reason. I took 15mg of mirtazapine at 9pm. I am seriously considering just stopping mirtazapine and copeing with any anxiety or low moods. If things get unbearable I will take a vallium not sure if that's the best way moving forward but when I had my first anxiety attack I was shocked and bewildered and then hospitalised and was on the drugs ever since but now that I know what anxiety is and that it's not in essence real I feel that I can just let it come and then hopefully it will go with time excessive and psychotherapy.
    • Posted

• Posted

Thank you. I think I will just get off it and see what happens. I would rather take that risk then be stuck witha drug that makes my life more stagnant then it already is.
    • Posted

Sorry for alll the replies. It kept giving me an errors message.
  • Posted

I'm sorry you are going through this.

You had an adverse reaction to the cannabis which altered your central nervous system - that would have healed itself without taking these medications on top.

The way you came off these drugs is way too quick and you are most likely suffering withdrawal and side effects from the other drugs.

I would recommend you find a good withdrawal site that can help and advise you. Doctors have no idea on how tobelp withdraw safely and will most likely not recgnise that most of your issues are coming from the prescribed drug.

It happened to me - the doctors had no idea.

• Posted

Thank you so much. I really appreciate your response. And yes I also reckon that my mind would have healed itself in time but I didnt know what anxiety was and just wantes it to go away. In a bit of a strange situation now though because I have weaned off aropax quickly as you mentioned but now been 2 weeks on mirtazapine so do I get back on aropax and wean off it? Sorry probably a question I should ask my gp

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.