Mirtazapine, strong chest and back pain

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello everybody. I need some advice and encouragement as I think I'm going crazy again. I was prescribed mirtazapine 15 MG but I only take 1/4 of the tablet and it already makes me feel sleep dizzy, sick all the time and the worst is I have constant strong chest and back pain that won't go away as though I'm having constant panic attack without psychological symptoms only physical. I have been in ER today and as usual they told me I'm ok. Has anyone experienced this with mirtazapine. Please help!

1 like, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi Terry

What springs to mind initially is that I wonder if you are taking, or have recently stopped any other medicaion?  

Mirt' has a slow release sedative effect and needs time, a week or two, to settle into your system.  For some, I've read this sedation can last 24/7 (me also) but others a few hours after waking in the morning.  hge lower doses of Mirt' are more sedative, 15mg usually prescribed for sleep aid or sometimes a start-up dose leading to upping the doses.  30mg & 45mg being for depression.  A lot of people struggle going up to 30mg, it can increase symptoms ugh ...

Hope some of this helps Terri 

You shouldn't be experiencing any nausea with uptake of Mirt I don't think.

The strong chest and back pain could be anxiety; I guess if you are worried about the med's effect, this could also be adding to any previous symptoms of anxiety?

I'm not sure I understand a panic attack without psycological problems?  

• Posted

Hi Calmer. I just stared to take meds. About 3 weeks ago I was prescribed Sertralin but almost went crazy after just about 3/25 mg tablets. Doctors said I have serotonin syndrome so they gave me mirtazapine. I have taken it for about 7 days now but only 3.5 mg. And it is actually working for me with all my anxiety, panic and depression but the heart ache is freaking me out, as I ha e all the symptoms of heart attack at the same time, but my mind stays clear. Not sure if you understand what I mean. But that's how I feel really. I don't want to stop this medicine cos it is helping my mental side.

• Posted

So you are experiencing chest pain that is radiating to your back, without the mental presentation of anxiety attack? Did your ER check your blood pressure and pulse? Adrenal storm can do that. Bloods need to be checked. Serotonin syndrome usually has a mental component (hallucinations, confusion etc) so this needs to be further checked. Many ER's aren't very sympathetic to what they think is a panic attack, and if you are going to be mis-diagnosed, it's going to be in the ER. 

• Posted

Hi John. I was in ER about 6 hours. They wouldn't let me go. Took 9 blood proofs and even checked my lungs, made me run around the hospital too so they can check how my heart reacts and did 2 ECG. My doctor suggests that it can be costochondritis, so today and tomorrow they gonna check for that. Thank you for support. I'll keep you updated.

• Posted

Tietzes Syndrome? How on earth did you get that? Not common. Injury? Although virus can do it as well.  Damn painful sometimes - good luck.

From memory (which can be dodgy) they aren't sure what caused it about 50% of the time, but can be treated conservatively with pain killers and it will go away. Some people who do heavy lifting etc might have to be careful. 

• Posted

THEY made you run? Oh that must have been fun!!
  • Posted

Hi terry

I just suggest you to take melatonin with this, it works together; I'm just saying. I've done that and has worked for me

hope it helps you

Take care

• Posted

Thank you Marti a for the reply. Dear I'm too sensitive to drugs not sure my body can handle it but I'll discuss it with my doc)

• Posted

Hi terry

I just suggest you to take melatonin with this, it works together; I'm just saying. I've done that and has worked for me

hope it helps you

Take care

• Posted

Hi Terri,

I'm sorry that you are having such nasty side effects from the Mirtazapine. I can relate to the dizziness, but take my meds at bedtime so I don't notice once I'm in bed.  Mirtazapine is a strange drug, have you read up on it?  Are you taking it as an antidepressant or to help with sleep? There certainly are other medications that would do either. If you decide to go off it please read the discussions on this site. Someone worked out a titration table that makes withdrawal easier. be sure not to stop cold turkey.  As everyone is different it's very important to taper off at the right speed for you, even if it seems like a tiny amount.

Sorry to hear that you are having pain like a constant panic attack. Do you have a doctor?  I would suggest a referal to a psychitrist, they are much more familiar with these drugs.

Wishing you wellk

• Posted

Hello dear Karin. I'm taking in the morning to help it with my anxiety and panic, well also depression (whole package herelol). Me and my doc decided I take it during the day time cos I was scared of meds like hell after what Zoloft did to me. I lost my mind after just 3 small doses and the first time in my life I couldn't control my brain 's and body. Was toooo scary. I'm gonna see my doc tomorrow and hope they can do something about this side affect bc I really like mirtazapine. I even don't have that huge appreciate everyone talking about on them and despite some tiredness I can still full function during the day. Tha k you so much for support. Hugs)

• Posted

I am dealing with the exact same thing. I was on 30mg for just over a year and now I slowly tapered down. I am now getting that chest pain and I thought I was having one at first. Its very scary! Dont worry though its from the mirtazapine. The stuff is insane to get off though so be careful. I tapered down very slow and I thought man this is not hard at all. So I quit completely. I was so happy. Then a week later it hit me like a brick wall! I read all about the half life and I have no clue how it can happen but its for sure from the mirtazapine withdrawal. I took 7.5 mg and within an hour I started feeling better. So now I just take the tiniest piece of a tablet and I am okay. If these side effects go away I will go right off them.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.