Mirtazapine success stories

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi. I have been prescibed Mirtazapine for long term depression. The internet is full of horror stories of massive weight gain and drowsiness. For treating depression - it seems to be really effective though. Does anyone have any positive stories to balance the negative ones? Re the weight gain - if I'm careful about what I eat, I should be ok , right? Or is it metabolic?

Thanks a mil in advance!

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Edited

I have taken Mirtazapine twice, once four years ago and I am now taking it again as I struggled with the menopause.  The first time I did not put on any weight at all and took it for five months.  This time I have put on 8 lbs but this was in the first month of taking Mirtazapine and I am now starting to lose it again whilst continuing to take Mirtazapine.  Mirtazapine is very sedating and you do feel very hungry in the first 3 or 4 weeks of using but this does pass and it is really helpful with anxiety, depression and sleep.  Usually 30 mgs is used for depression and the 15 mgs helps with sleep and anxiety.  If your only worry is weight gain, then don't worry as you will be able to lose any weight you put on in the first month once you have been taking it for a while.  I have had no side effects with it apart from feeling hungry and sleepy but only during the first month and each time I have needed the sleep.  I have had no headaches and no nausea, diarrhoea or constipation.  Don't be put off and Mirtazapine has less side effects than other anti depressants and worked quite quickly.  I previously tried Citalopram and felt very unsafe and ill on it so I switched to Mirtazapine.  I hope it works for you and you will be able to lose the weight once you feel better and more motivated.  

• Posted

Mirt makes you want to eat. It stops your body usin up its stores of fat etc. It changes the way your body metabolises food. It helps sleep issues bit can cause anxiety to be worse

• Posted

I felt, like you, that the stories were negatively biassed, so started a thread called "In Defence of Mirtazapine".    You may find the thread interesting.  You can find it by clicking on my icon (the patterned square above "*4" on the left).  You can also search using the box in the right-hand column.   

• Posted

Hi Cat Lady - I have used mirt for seven years now. Originally on efexor which was hell. Mirt allowed me to sleep. I had weight gain, but then I was always very thin because of a life of anxiety. I re-assessed what I ingested and cut out the alcohol and cigs, and then gradually weened myself off processed foods, cut meat out of the diet, and finally sugar. My diet was never really bad, but cutting the sugar has had amazing results - clearer thinking, terrific skin. It can be difficult walking past the lollies and biscuits when shopping, but soon you don't think about it because you have developed different habits.

As for exercise, I walk everywhere - sometimes up to 10 kilometeres in a day. Also life weights to keep upper body strength, not to look like Swarzenhager. 

In conclusion I would say that mirt has helped me. You should be started on a low dose and pay attention to any peculiarities should they arise and tell the doc. Good luck to you - I hope this helps. Meow.

• Posted

Thank you to everyone for your thoughtful responses - I really appreciate it!
  • Posted

Hi all! I'm back! I procrastinated for a long time before deciding to go ahead and take Mirt. I've been on 15mg for 4 nights - due to increase to 30mg in few days time.

I'm doing fairly well. I do wake up groggy but I can get up and get on, so that's ok.

Question:

I wake up with splitting headaches and am constipated (sorry for over-share). Is this likely to get better as I get used to the meds?

• Posted

At 15mg and below, the normal main effect of mirt is sedation.  Above that dose it acts more like an SSRI AD. 

You say you suffer from depression, so you need a high dose.  That raises a problem:  if you go quickly to 30mg that is shock to your system and may give you side effects.  If you go slowly, you will be sedated unnecessarily (as you are already finding).  Perhaps that problem could have been avoided by taking a different AD.     

I have found that most side effects of mirt do reduce with time.  If they do not for you,  go back to your doctor.  There are lots of ADs available.

Best wishes. 

• Posted

Thanks Old Boy. I've been on Several of the SSRI's over the course of many years and was fine but my depression worsened recently hence the change to Mirt. My doc is cross tapering me - so lowering my Citalopram while increasing Mirtazapine. It's going rather well apart from the headaches and clogged digestive tract, so I'm happy to keep pushing on and hope they resolve with time and possibly the higher dose.

Thanks for your time and balanced responses! I really appreciate them!

P.S - I was having some sleep issues prior to starting Mirt. 5 nights of amazing sleep has been amazing for me! And by the afternoon, I've even had enough energy to go jogging!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.