Mirtazapine Taper.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Just letting people know that I started my taper off Mirtazapine 3months ago,I was on 15mgs nightly plus a Stillnoct sleeping tablet,I was also taking Venlaxine 175mgs 1 daily.I cut down by a quarter of a tablet every 2nd day for a week and then for 7 days for 2weeks and another quarter and so on.I did have withdrawal symptoms feeling anxious n such but I persevered and was on my last quarter tablet when I went to see my psychiatrist.He advised me to up my dose of Venlaxine to 225mgs and thank goodness it seems to be working for me.I would advise anyone to stay away from Mirtazapine because of the horrible side effects,nightmares,weight gain,and it did absolutely nothing for morning anxiety,if anything I think it was the cause of it!Anyway I hope this post will help some people.Margaret.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

It was a horrible drug for me too.  7.5 mg/day for a month.  Nausea in the morning, restless leg, my left hand felt detached, my left foot felt abnormal like it affected my gait and had difficulty walking down steps.  Some have suggested that mirtazapine messes up your joints and makes them stiff.  Totally unproductive, had great difficulty just getting out of bed.  Seemed to make my anxiety worse.  This drug was poison.
    • Posted

I agree 100 percent with you John,I had a lot of nasty side effects as well and I put on a stone and a half of weight which I am now trying to shift,I wouldn't wish this drug on my worst enemy!

• Posted

Hi Margaret, I am also on Ven (starting 150 today) and Mirtazepine 30 at the moment becasue Mirtazepine wasnt helping with depression. I am also hoping to tapper Mirt once Ven starts 

Working. Can you sleep on Ven? are you on It for depression? Have you Been on It for long?

• Posted

Hi Ala,I just replied to you via a post to myself!lol anyway hope you're having a not too bad day.🌻

• Posted

Been on Venlaxine for 4 years.I started at 75,then up to 175,I found I wasn't doing so good about a year and 9 months ago so Doctor put me on Mirtazapine 15mgs I slept like a log but unfortunately I had terrible nightmares and felt hungover in the mornings,Doc.then upped the Mirt.to 30 but I felt they made me feel agitated so back to 15mgs Bottom line is Mirtazapine did not suit me and they areare very hard to get off,anyway Im on the 225 dose of Venlaxine and I am doing ok at the moment fingers crossed,I also take a Stillnoct 10mgs sleeping tablet at night.Strangely enough the lower doses of Mirtazapine are more sedating than the higher doses.Anyway this ha been my experience of taking the two together everyone is different so I hope you find my post helpful.🌻

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.