Mirtazapine taper

Posted , 7 users are following.

has anyone successfully withdrawn from mirtazapine? need help on which method I should use. I was put on 15mg for insomnia and it only helped me sleep for 3 days. I still suffer from insomnia but had improved some. at one point I was not getting any sleep now every night I get at least 3 to 4 hours broken. on good night 6 hrs less broken. sometimes I feel like mirtazapine is waking me up rather than helping with sleep. I am not taking other medications. i do take melatonin, l theanine, and GABA supplements. the doctors are no help. the GP said to drop down to 7.5mg for one week then every other night one week then stop. she said it would take 2 weeks to stop. I made the mistake of looking for and setting up appointment with psychiatrist to see if he had knowledge to guide my taper. It didnt go well as he said to stop cold turkey. when I asked him about tapering and withdrawal symptoms he got very upset saying who told me that. I told him I read warnings not to stop abruptly and many people reporting suffering from withdrawls. he stated that I must have anxiety and started writing and adding diagnosis on my chart saying I must have it as I'm questioning him. I stopped talking for fear he would add more to my chart for asking reasonable questions. of course I'm anxious about getting off this medication after reading horror stories about withdrawal. he used this as a way to intimidate to stop asking any questions. he also prescribed 10mg Doxepin which I havent started as I am not willing to go cold turkey off mirtazapine. he did say I could take it with mirtazapine but am reluctant as there is a serious drug interaction taking both.

I also dont want to add another med to struggle coming off of.

please any help or advice. I have heard about 10% every 3 to 4 weeks and also CITA protocol charts of skipping doses. I am not sure which would be the best method to minimize or avoid bad withdrawal symptoms.

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

also forgot to add I have been on them a few days over 2 months.

• Posted

Howdy I don't know how long you've been on the dreaded Mirtazapine but I was on for nealy a year on 30 mg and successfully got off it eventually. had bad insomnia. I think if you click on my user name you'll find a post I wrote about how I got off it. I just chipped away at the tablet with a scalpel. it's a pain in the ass but got the job done. never looked back. Best of luck

• Posted

I already have bad insomnia on it. I'm just afraid it will make it worse. I do feel sometimes its waking me up instead of putting me to sleep. I also tried a few weeks in to go from 7.5mg to 5.62mg and it was not good. I had prickling all over my arms and extremely bad nausea. I went back up after 2 days and it resolved and made mistake going up to 15mg as my doctor thought I needed higher dose for insomnia. now I see everyone says it's more sedating at lower. well it didn't work and I'm stuck on for 2 months now. want to be off but dont want to rush it. thank you for your reply. I'm so very happy for you that you got off.

• Posted

I read your story. I'm so glad you made it off this medication. hope you are doing well.

• Edited

It makes me so angry that professionals are giving this kind of advice! They should be struck off. You should absolutely not stop cold turkey, in my opinion. Withdrawal is real and often very bad, as experienced by me and as is testified by a vast number of people who have actually taken the medication, which a lot of doctors have not. They get their facts from the pharma companies who sell the drugs and have a vested interest in playing down any negatives. It's true that there are people who manage to stop cold turkey and get through the horrific WD and it's also true there are people who manage to taper on the quick 'official' schedule the doctors give, but from all the huge amounts I've read and spoken to people about, it seems to be the minority. It's also true (I believe) that sometimes over-reading internet negative posts about Mirt feeds into one's anxiety and doesn't help. Naturally people who have an ok experience on Mirt are not posting about it on forums etc - that's human nature - so we only tend to see the negative side from people in distress. But withdrawal is very real and in my opinion is best avoided at all costs.

The 10% method is the only thing that worked for me - I am now down to 7.35 and have had barely any withdrawal using it. Skipping doses is not a good idea because your nervous system has to adjust each time. The pills are extremely challenging to dose with - i keep saying it to people: buy the liquid. It costs £60 a bottle as you have to buy it from your doctor off prescription but it is SO worth it. It lasts for ages and you can do accurate, small doses, which you can't do with tablets. You might have to push for it from your doctor but you are entitled to have it it.

As for the insomnia - from one severe insomniac to another (it was also the reason I was put onto it in the first place, after my insomnia became so severe I was suicidal) I'm sending you some positive vibes. I wish I had some answers for you on this. Still going through that journey myself.

Good luck xxx

• Posted

thank you and I wish you luck on your journey off this medication. I felt like this doctor wanted to make me sick by making feel like I was crazy for asking about taper then make me go cold Turkey so I could come back to him in a bad state and he could slap me with another diagnosis and push more medications on me. forget that I'm not going back to him. I will ask about liquid as it's not offered here in US but maybe if they make it for me at compound pharmacy might help.

I have researched programs like the road back and point of return to help with tapering. point of return is very expensive but offer 24/7 support so you never feel alone. I dont know may be worth it if they can minimize any discomfort. I havent really come across anyone trying these programs. I would love to find someone who has.

• Posted

you are also right reading horror stories on internet has made me very afraid of tapering. but I am also glad I did and not listen to the doctor to go cold turkey. at least now I can prepare myself on how to come off. slowly seems to be the answer.

• Posted

Sounds like you're being very sensible and taking the right approach - you will manage to do it! I'm certain that the liquid form must be available in the US too. I'd really recommend asking your doctor - they might have to order it in but as you're paying they can't say no. Making the pills into a liquid form with water isn't as reliable and is a bit messy. The liquid makes it so much easier and hassle free. Keep me posted with how you get on, and good luck again xx

• Posted

PS. On the horror stories - after reading so so much negative stuff I eventually stopped reading it, because I realised ultimately it wasn't helping me and made me feel worse about everything. So I tried to focus on my own journey instead. There were a couple of people I connected with who offered very practical, sound advice and shared their taper experience, which was so helpful to me, so I now try to do the same . But there is so much negative stuff out there on the internet (that is inevitably very one sided!) that I try not to over-read too much!

• Posted

Hi Gillian.

Do you mind if i ask how you're following the 10% method? Are you using liquid?

• Posted

I am tappered down to 5.62 mg. Going to try liquid bc it is more accurate than cutting. You can make your pills into liquid. Crush your pill into fine power then dissolve in 3.75ml of water using a syringe to measure the volume. THEN add 3.75ml of maple syrup to suspend any undissolved particles (filters). This will make a homogeneous mixture where 1ml = 1mg

• Posted

good luck and let me know if the liquid works. I'm afraid to ruin it. lol. I wish you the best of luck.

• Posted

First, change your doctor. Someone who is a little more understanding! I wouldn't go on anymore drugs until you have completely come off the mirt. Thankfully you are on a small dose, unlike me, and so 10% every three or so weeks should work okay. Any real issues dropping then just go up a tiny amount from that amount you are on at that time, for a week or so, then carry on dropping. The small amount you take shouldn't cause the big symptoms others are describing. I'm sure you have and don't know where in the world you are but have you given natural medicine a go for your sleep issues? Chamomile just before bed, the natural herb sleep tablet 'Nytol' is good. May be even some hypnotherapy can be really good. Good luck and remember, you know your own mind better than anybody and so there is nothing wrong in you, along with your doctor, deciding what drugs to or not to take and how you are feeling mentally. Take care

• Posted

I do drink chamomile tea before bed along with other natural supplements. I like my primary doctor I know she will support my efforts to get off its just that she seems clueless how to taper. The psychiatrist I went to see was only one time thing after the way he acted I will not go back. he was very unreasonable and I also brought up natural supplements to him and he told me we dont talk about those at all. then about of the blue asked who hurt me as a child. I told him nobody. he said are you sure and i said yes positive. I felt like each time I asked a question he would try to intimidate me so he could add another diagnosis. what an awful experience. I only wanted guidance on my taper and to discuss my insomnia on how to improve it naturally. it has improved some already with supplements. some nights are better than others. mirtazapine doesnt help me sleep. what I found I have to do is take supplements 1st wait until I feel sleepy then take mirtazapine then hope I'm sleepy enough that it doesnt wake me up. I really think its waking me up. I'm in US I know my primary doctor wont deny me prescription for liquid but will be clueless how to write it. Do you know what ratio it should be?

• Posted

I've never tired nytol herbal. I take calms forte which I think does work fairly well but I don't take every night as I am afraid it will stop working. so I take it a few times a week.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.