Mirtazapine tapering

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi.  I have been on 7,5mg of Mirt (second time) since September last year. I started tapering off back in January, without success.  I took my last dose over a week ago.  The withdrawals started,  nausea and headache. I want to make the liquid form from the tablets as my GP doesn't prescribe SolTab.  Couldn't cope with the side effects so I took 7.5mg last night.   If I want to taper down,  do I have to stay on the 7.5mg for a bit,  to get it back into my system,  or could I start tapering now with the 10% method?  

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Yeah, my Dr said no also. He gave me 15 mg, told me to cut them in half and then cut them in half again. He claims that if I can't get off 3.5 mg of remeron which he says is nothing that I have real problems.

• Posted

Can't believe I've had to go back on them to get off them,  if you know what I mean.  I'm going to try the liquid method that Calmer posted.  I'm having a problem getting off these.  I also tried to cut the tabs into quarters,  they just didn't look like the right measurements.

• Posted

Hi

I missed this conversation.  Just wondering how you are now?  Did you stay at 7.5?

• Posted

Well, over a week ago I cut my 7.5 mgs in half and only took the first dose. I decided to try quitting then and there and have felt amazing ever since! I take amazing multiple vitamins and a phenomenal super green supplement. For a person with a clean gut, getting off of these seem to be a breeze..
    • Posted

Hi Jesse

Are you saying you quit at 7.5 mg after taking 3.75mg for one day??  

?Hope all goes well for you, let us know, you could be one of the lucky one's x

• Posted

Hi Calmer,  only just saw this post.  I haven't started on the liquid yet,  but am going to do it from tonight.  I tried to do slow taper, but couldn't manage it. I asked my Dr about compounding pharmacies,  she wanted to know why.  Said I was going to make my own liquid.  She didn't agree with it.  But I am going to do it that way anyway.  She wasn't very helpful and told me just to stop as I wouldn't have any withdrawals, as Mirt wasn't a medication that gave you any.  I am tapering off 7.5mg.

• Posted

Hi Swanscity, my doctor said the same but in the end she let me do it my way.  Sometimes folk like to take the same dose as before when switching to a liquid, for a week say, it helps apparently; I think once bitten twice shy !  Ugh ...

Good luck. smile

• Posted

From what I read on different places, ex FB groups, you can not judge after a few days even weeks. WD can hit after weeks. 

But some are lucky and come off easy , while others go trough hell a year long. 

But if you know about the 10% tapering, you probably have seen these warnings also. 

I  still have to start my tapering , so can't really say I know lots bout.

But I went off Efexor years ago , and it took me 8 month, counting the smallest bits of tapering, and even having WD electrochocks and weird feeling for months etc. 

Best luck to you.

• Posted

Hi. I did read that withdrawals can hit you a few weeks after.  Mine usually come a couple of days after tapering down.  Think it's going to be a long process coming off them.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.