Mirtazapine tapering/quitting advice

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I've been on Mirtazapine for 5 weeks. 1st week at 7.5mg then 4 weeks at 15mg.

I've decided to come off them. They have had a negative affect on my sleep and I haven't slept well since I started them. I'm really struggling too as each day is like a fog and they haven't really helped my anxiety either. My GP has advised to increase the dose to 30mg but I'm very reluctant to proceed given my current experience.

How would people advise coming off them. Maybe lowering to 7.5 mg and then 3.75mg and if so for how long? Or, given how long i've been on them quit cold turkey?

Many thanks for any advice

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

I have some experience with antidepressants, however Martizapine is a new one I started taking recently. I am taking it for insomnia and anxiety.

It is strange that medication has not started working properly for you yet. Either you need a bigger dose or it is not for you. If you for example need a 1-2 paracetamols to stop the pain, this may be similar with any dose of medication. I know that I only need 0.5 paracetamol to stop the pain, so I do not take more. This is because any chemicals work for me in small quantities, as I am sensitive to them.

When I started the Martizapine I bought the pill cutter online and started from 0.25 of tablet which was 7.5mg. It worked on me almost immediately as I could not run fast enough to bed, I was so sleepy. Now, almost 3 weeks into the treatment, I can stay as I am or take more if I want. Even with this small dose, I have some reltless legs and some fast pulse from time to time.

You could go to the chemist and speak to one in private about your issues. Almost every chemist has now a consultation room. They might explain to you how long is too long to wait for results with this medicine.

It is good to chat to someone who knows more.

I would taper slowly (using pill cutter), it is only 5-6 weeks since you started, but you mights still get some unwanted side effects. Good luck, whichever way you decide to go.

• Posted

hi did you start tapering and how has it been

• Posted

I have been on Mirt for the past 6 weeks, I needed it only for insomnia. I think that at this point and using only 0.25 of the pill (15mg), I noticed something else. A couple of times recently I woke up at night and did not sleep for an hour or two. It has not happened during the last 5 weeks.

However, I do not intend to take more Mirt at any stage. I am not sure that I will be able to wean myself off it. This is only my personal view, knowing my own body and how long it took me to come off 10mg of Citalopram (I had two attempts). However, since 2006 I was able to have 5 weeks of good night sleep on Mirt.

My side effects are: I have increased pulse, sometimes restless leg syndrome, huge appetite and pains in lower back. Also, some strange "electricity" aura around my feet, when I touch them, really weird.

What I am afraid of, is not to be able to go to normal sleep when I stop the treatment. There is no one who can reassure me that things will be fine. Or is there anyone who has done it? Anyone on this site?

My plan to tapering will be: cut the pill into smaller bits, decrease the size two weeks at the time.

• Posted

hi , the doctor has said if i want to come of then half the tablet every two weeks because i havnt been on them long. he said its been fine for lots of his patiants but mirtazipine effects some people hard. i was on fluoxetine for over 10 years and didnt tapper for long and no withdrawals. my wife was on mirtazipine for 6 years on 7.5 mg and she came of over two weeks which was two fast. she was unwell for a few weeks all the symptoms. but still all gone in a month but her sleep hasnt returned in months

• Posted

Hi,

I was coming off Citalopram for two years! I was on it for several years.

So I expect a similar time frame from Mirt. It will not be a quick fix and fine.

Everyone is different, so reactions will be different. I just want to be able to sleep, even if it is a 3-4 hours a night. The one thing I remember I was told, that I cannot switch between various antidepressants back and forth. See how it goes, I have an appointment next week to discuss.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.