Mirtazapine to Citalopram back to Mirtazapine!

Posted , 3 users are following.

I was initially on[b:59ae1c3308] Mirtazapine[/b:59ae1c3308] (30mg) for 8 weeks for depression and anxiety. And I did start to feel better, although the blurry vision and the derealisation side effects started to make me anxious again. I think the light head was the anxiety not the tablets.

Went back to work and made an appointment with the Doctor to see if there was another antidepressant with no side effects as I didn't think the Mirt was working.

He told me how to gradually come off the Mirtazapine and then to start [b:59ae1c3308]Citalopram.[/b:59ae1c3308] Those days copming off the Mirtazapine were fine and the 3 days I took nothing I felt great again! Well what an awful reaction I had to the Citalopram ! Heart thumping, sickness, mind racing, pins and needles, total insomnia for 3 days and the anxiety attacks were awful! I actually phoned NHS Direct.

When I spoke to the Doctor , he said that I had a reaction and the tablets obvousily didn't agree. In a knowing smile, he said that I should perhaps go back on the Mirt and that I came off them too quickly.

I am now on no medication , but can feel the awful anxiety still there fron the Citalopram episode and am wondering if I will slip back to square one again if I don't take anything. The Doctor has given me a prescription for 15mg 1 week and thereafter 30mg. Perhaps the side effects weren't that bad and as the nurse said \" only got bothersome because I was feeling better\".

So I'm thinking that I will go back to the Mirtazapine and perhaps they aren't that bad!

1 like, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Thanks very much for the reply.

Im still really undecided on taking them. Maybe its the illness but as soon as i start thinking about taking the pills i get anxious and feel sick (like right now!)

Obviously everyone is concerned about me and wants me to take them to get me better but im just really scared of the side effects so i dont know what to do.

Your post has given me the confidence to start, however, im not going to start them before my trip away. I just keep thinking \"i want one last NORMAL weekend\" before i drift off into oblivion. Which im sure will lead to \"just one more\" and then another one more, and another....

Being scared just seems like a way of life at the minute! Scared of taking the pills, scared of not taking them. How are we supposed to decide??

• Posted

Hi B12

Hope you have a good away meeting Tues and next week. Work as a distraction was a blessing to me even though I thought I hated it!

I never read anything about Mert. until I tried to come off them!!

I wasn't scared of the tablets, but I never 'cashed in' my first prescription, wasn't sure if they would help.

I had stopped eating tho and lost so much weight, I was really consious of my clothes not fitting and just felt I looked a mess! I read somewhere online (not a site like this) that the mert caused weight gain. I called the doc straight away!! 8)

I had reached a point where I didn't care what the tablets did, nothing could be worse than the numb feeling of the depression and the feeling that peole were looking at me thinking how skinny I was!

They did seem to help me and the weight crept on slowly. I gave up smoking about 4 mths ago and now, well I def am starting to think I have perhaps gained enoguht weight back now :-)

I don't always feel great but I am definately so much better than I was, the situation I was in has eased and attitude towards problems is much more positive. I had some counselling as well and that held me for a while and then did seem to kick in and help. I had to get in privately as I work away from home a lot and the docs only do Mon/Tues between 10-4! The expense eventually outweighted the benefits but again, it did help at the time.

When you are depressed every decision seems to be the wrong one and life just seems to be a never ending spiral of problems, I would use them again if I felt like that again. Don't be scared, just try to do one positive thing a day for yourself. Whether this is taking the tablets or something else only you can decide. Eventually all those little positives do add up and life will seem better again - promise :-)

• Posted

Hi B12,

Have you had your trip away yet? It could be that your worry about taking the tablets is more than the reality of being on them, however your anxiety about them might mean it is better to wait and cope with your work commitments.

I have been on Mirt since November 2008.First up to 30mg then in March up to 45mg. I have not felt unwell on them and I have managed to keep working with less anxiety than I was facing prior to being on them. I have felt more able to face the day and concentration is better.I do not feel in a 'fog' half the morning like I used to.

Of course though I cannot deny the side effects of the weight gain( just want to eat all the wrong things) and I do feel very achy and have started on rosehip and also cod liver oil to try and counter act that, also dreams were very vivid on 30mg better on 45mg. The positives for me still far out- weigh the negatives.

Would be intersested to know how you go on. Rayne.

• Posted

How's it going with everyone?

I'm on 30mg at the 10th day on the mirtazapine I have had a continual headache and dizziness (last 4 days). I feel so anxious as well, I thought I was getting better! Don't want to eat much either.

I'm not sure whether its the medication or me - too scared to go back to the Doctors , i'm sure they despair of me! He asked me what I wanted to do ? How am I suppose to know in my state of mind!

Any ideas? :shock:

• Posted

this is what Mirtz (remeron) did to me too (at 15mg). i would be very interested to know if these headaches go away or stick around? it's a shame becuz they really work well and start working within a number of days! but i can't handle the headaches.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.