Mirtazapine to paroxetine

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi All,

2weeks on paroxetine with no side effects, stop mirtazapine tonight, still no change in anxiety, cpn signed me off so no back up support now. Expecting a few sleepness nights, but dont really want to take sleeping tablets, but was advised to go to dr for some if it gets to bad.

Am really going to miss the lovely sleeps I have had on mirtazapine, unfortunatly that was the only benefit I got from it, hence going on paroxetine.

Love to all

Danielle.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Danielle I'm glad that things are slowly sorting themselves out? If your sleeplessness gets too bad or the anxiety is too much you must go to the doctors for support. You do not say why the CPN has stopped visiting/calling? Is there somewhere else you can get help on a day to day basis. Our local MIND office does run groups and courses but I haven't been a user for many years. Also Depression Alliance run groups. Recently if they will allow me to print it here I have been logging on to nomorepanic. There is a great wealth of support and help on there. PM me if this is removed. Take care, you seem like a lovely person with a lot to offer. Pooh.
  • Posted

Hi Pooh Bear

CPN was only short term as I was having suididal thoughts and also taken a few mirtazapine, they have now stopped the visits as they dont see me at risk.

Having cbt at the moment but finding the tasks really hard.

Have not slept since stopping mirt and I am having some withdrawel symptoms, even though cpn said I wouldnt, having only been on a small dose 15mg for 3 month. Also take propanolol and diazepine, nothings shifting the anxiety today.

Do you know how long mirt takes to get out of your system. and how long withdrawel lasts, Im sure thats what it is as I have taken paroxetine in the past with no side effects and also none for the last 2 weeks I have been on it, only this now after stopping the mirt.

Best Wishes

Danielle.

• Posted

Hi Danielle I'm sorry that you are still experiencing difficulties. Mirtazapine has a short half life ie the time it takes for the drug to leave the body is 37 hours for females and 26 for males. Therefore and I'm no expert the withdrawal effects should be shorter. Withdrawal is usually done by tapering or by stopping abruptly in controlled circumstances. This is the information I have gleaned from wikkipedia. I had severe withdrawals when I tried to come off mirtazapine by tapering and was put back on 30 mg. I'm now on 15mg annd hoping to try again to come off it when I see my psych this week. I believe that we are all unique and that your experience of withdrawal will be different from mine. Hightened panic and anxiety were a big feature of it. This time I've asked for valium and am posting a blog elsewhere to chart my progress. I have no experience of paroxetine. Take care pooh.
  • Posted

After stopping the 15mg mirt on friday, as advised by psych and continuing the paroxetine I was back at gps today, horrendous sunday and monday. Anxiety, panic, sickness shaking and sweating, I actually came to the conclusion myself that it was indeed withdrawel symptoms.

In the last 12 month I have tried various anti ds and each time I have had side effects and gone back on mirt.

I now believe that yes maybe some where side effects from new drugs, but the symptoms have been the same each time I have just stopped the mirt and gone onto something else.

A fter this weekends episode I have been fine on paroxetine for 2 weeks and things started to go bad a day after stopping the mirt, addiction, withdrawel call it what you will, but its not easy to get off thats for sure.

Im now on a tapering down thing 15mg for 2 nights then half for 2 weeks.

Coming off seroxat a few years ago was a doddle compared to this, and I wish I had never started on it.

The only benefit I have had from it, is an appetite and a good nights sleep, I dont have depression and it never did do anything for my anxiety.

From

Danielle

• Posted

Is it possible to increase the paroxetine if the withdrawals from the mirtazapine get too much? I really admire you going through all this. I see my psychiatrist on Thursday to decide whether I should reduce the mirtazapine further. I hope all goes well for you without some of these dreadful withdrawals. I have some valium in reserve for mine. I am prepared to conquer this demon. Have faith (I tell myself) as it will eventually pass and you will feel well again. P:ooh.
  • Posted

Feeling a lot calmer and more motivated today, now that my body has had its fix of mirt. will have to wait and see how half 15mg effects me.

Seeing my psych in 2 weeks time to see how Im doing, dont want to stop paroxetine as I think that nearly 3 weeks on it I can feel its doing something, just want to get rid of the mirt.

Hope all goes well with your own psych appointment.

Best Wishes

Danielle

• Posted

Hi all, I wonder if you could both do an update after your conversation over a year ago on Mirt and the other med please smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.