Mirtazapine together with citalopram

Posted , 4 users are following.

I was on mirtazapine for 8 weeks and it did little to me. My doc reduced it from 45 mg to 30 mg and added 20 mg of citalopram. I suffer from depression with anxiety. After taking citalopram my anxiety got worse. Now, after taking it for 2 weeks, my anxiety is decreasing, but my mood is still very low. Generally I feel bad. I'm curious whether anyone was in similar situation, I mean mirtazapine + citalopram? Please, share your experiences. Sorry for my English, it's a foreign language for me.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi

I was on mirtazapine and citalopram for a short while and the combination didnt really help my depression or anxiety.I wasnt on them for very long though as I developed tinnitus(ringing in my ears) as a side effect of citalopram so maybe you just need to give it more time,these things often take a few weeks to start to work properly.

• Posted

Thanks for your answer, Megapolitico. I hope that sth else has helped you. Regards.
  • Posted

Hey, I've been on citalopram (40mg) for 6 years and couldn't be without it, as it completely takes away my symptoms of ADD and manic aggression. I started taking mirtazapine last week and bam, the ADD and aggression came back in one massive fell swoop, losing my temper over nothing, no concentration span etc. I looked it up, and mirtazipine inhibits serotonin receptors, so it takes away the good effect of citalopram (which is a serotonin drug!). It's possible that all you've been left with are the side effects.

I have stopped taking mirtazipine and am now shaking like a leaf, not sure why. I've just got to play the waiting game for citalopram to start working again so I can stop losing my temper, though it is improving rapidly.

I know low doses of mirtazipine have higher sedative effects than higher doses, no idea why. It made it impossible for me to get out of bed, something which i've always found difficult, but have been better with recently. Generally mirtazipine has been an awful experience that I never want to repeat.

• Posted

After a few days anxiety came back and it's just unbearable. On mirtazapine I was calm, but had low mood. Being on both cit and mirt, I'm depressed and very anxious. I think cit is to blame. Probably I will have to come off of it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.