Mirtazapine up for review

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi,

Recently had a discussion with my doc and he would like to take it off me, however I strongly protest as I have tried this in the past and everything just falls apart with out it. Can it be taken off even if I disagree also if anyone else has gone through this how have they handled it ?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Joe

Sorry for your suffering.  I don't know if a doctor can refuse to keep prescribing, maybe ring and ask the receptionist or practice manager??  Just a thought.

When you say "I've tried this in the past and everything falls apart" what do you mean, it's not very clear.  Are you saying your symptoms come back?  If so what method did you use to come off Mirt?

Wishing you well.

• Posted

I agree with Calmer - what happened when you tried in the past?  Did you go off cold turkey?  If so, you likely experienced horrid withdrawal and had to reinstate because of that.  Why does your doc want to take you off?  What are the benefits to you of being on it?  If you want to stay on because of how badly it went before, that is understandable.  I know when I was on almost the highest dose of mirt, I felt horribly apathetic and it was doing nothing for me other than helping me sleep.  So, if you feel the drug is helping you and you want to stay on, then you should be able to.  If you are afraid to come off of it because of how badly that went before, the good news is that there is a safer way, but it will require a very slow taper program of cutting 10% every 3-4 weeks as you are able.  If after a cut you have WD symptoms, you can always stay at that level as long as it takes to stabilize before doing another cut.  I am in that process, myself.

I wish you peace regardless of what you choose to do :-)

• Posted

Hi Betsy

Maybe we scared Joe off, shame as it sounds like we could have helped him.  

It's really great to hear others story of wd, and I'm so pleased to see someone promoting the 10% method also.  

I'm sorry you are experiencing wd effects with this though, at least you are prepared, hopefully it will pass within a day or two.  I've just started my own WD having spent a long time looking into it, I am going extremely slow as I'm either a coward or a wise owl!!  Not sure which lol.  I managed to get the Mirt liquid, but not every doctor is willing to prescribe it as it's much more expensive.  Other than that I would have tried the soluble tablets as you can go even slower especially when you get down to the 7.5 stage.

I hope you feel relief of the wd sooner rather than later.

smile  Wishing you well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.