Mirtazapine - weight gain!!!!

Posted , 67 users are following.

Hi,

I've never posted on a forum before but wondered if anyone could give me any advise.

I was diagnosed with depression just before christmas, I had quite a traumatic year with a series of bad events occurring, I was also getting married which I think was the only thing keeping me going, looking back now I realise I was slipping into a depressive state for about 2 months before I finally broke. I fell into quite a catatonic state being unable to function at even a basic level, it was as if my brain had just shut down.

The doc started me on sertraline but this made my anxiety so bad that I couldn't even go into my back garden, unable to leave the house or speak to anyone for a month, he then gave me citralopram, this reduced my anxiety but gave me insomnia, so I spent another month sleeping (or rather not sleeping) on my sofa and only getting a few hours of sleep here and there.

So my doc decided to try mirtazapine, my depression has reduced dramatically but I've have gained a lot of weight, which at first I thought was a welcome side effect compared to anxiety and insomnia but now this is really starting to lower my mood again,

When I was at the beginning of my illness and was unable to function, eating didn't even enter my head and I lost around a stone and a half (my usual weight sticks around 10 - 10 1/2 stone) to 9 stone, I looked really unwell at this weight, but since being on mirtazapine I have gained 2 1/2 stone in the first month (I'm into my second month now) and it's just staying there. I have tried changing my diet and exercising but I'm stuck at nearly 12 stone.

I look overweight, none of my clothes fit me and the worse part is that I look 6 months pregnant and because I am only just venturing out again after months of solitude, a lot of people think that I am pregnant and that's why they haven't seen me, I'm struggling to keep my smile and tell people I'm not as I am infertile and this has been one of the issues that led to my depression in the first place.

I'm not sure if anyone can help, I guess I'm just looking for advise on losing the weight or whether I should change my meds (again!!!!)

5 likes, 147 replies

147 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I should add that when I started mirtazapine, I couldn't stop eating, even waking in the night craving food however for the last month I have curbed this and have replaced my binging with fruit and vegetable but with no improvement.
    • Posted

Be cafeful with fruit. It's very high in sugar. Try to avoid eating all of the apple just eat the outside and a few mm under the skin. Also avoid bananas high calories and carbs. Try berries. Blueberries, Blackcurrents and strawberries insted.

• Posted

I have just joined Slimming World, but i believe there is no point starting this until I quit Mirtazapine.

SW say fruit is unlimited and you will lose weight.

• Posted

I had an appetite in the first week. I don't have much of an appetite now in fact I think I might be getting more depressed. How long did it take for your depression to start to lift?
  • Posted

It's hard to say really, I had to reduce my citralopram and have a few days off it, during that period the side effects started to lift so I thought I was getting better, as a result of this the doc keep me on the starter dose (15mg) but I've just had to increase this as I started to feel low again, this was 2 weeks ago so still waiting to see. It's just difficult to say whether it is the tablets working or just a boost in my mood due to the bad side effects lifting. I have also been through 10 weeks of counselling which has been a real help to put things back into perspective.
  • Posted

I would go back to your GP if you feel you are getting worse.

(((Hugs)))

• Posted

thanks .. My doctor is as much use a glass eye when ir comes to anti depressants , I have no choice but to peseevere
    • Posted

I agree.  No doctor I have seen really has a clue about mental illness. 
  • Posted

I would say you definitely need to check this with your doctor. Mirtazapine is thought to cause cells to take up more sugar from the blood, thus the hunger cravings. To find out more look up Mirtazapine plus GLUT4 on the Internet.

The resulting increased insulin demand may (thinking of a recent "Horizon" programme on television) or may not be a good thing.

• Posted

My doctor warned me to be careful on mirtaxapine as it increases appetite. I only found it increased it in first few weeks though. I'm normally about 8stone 7 and I am now 9stone 6 and I've been on mirt for about 3months. I'm skinny so can afford a bit of weight...I'd rather be a bit bigger and happy than skinny and hating life. I bought myself a cross trainer to try counter balance the weight gain. I never used to put any weight on...I could just eat and eat and eat...but now...I'm having to be more aware (she says whilst scoffing some lemon drizzle cake) haha!
  • Posted

I have a bit more energy today hopefully this is a picture of what more is to come .

I have put on about 5 lbs I think in three weeks, I'm confident I can lose this or whilst gaining muscle I have lost instead . I was very active before I got depressed , mainly weights, and was very good at watching what I ate. I also still lost by having one or two pig out nights a week. Also if you are interested - women do not get bulky by lifting weights, it is a common myth.

If you're finding it hard to track your daily food intake I recommend the myfitnesspal app

Chris

• Posted

Hi Bekstar.

I had a similar experience with mirtazapene -- increased appetite and weight gain. I decided to go off it, and within a few weeks I was back to my normal weight. Although the drug made me feel better, I really couldn't handle the weight gain.

Good luck finding a medication that works for you! It can take a few attempts.

• Posted

hi i read about your experience with remeron.I'm thinkng that caused my weight gain which is making me more depressed. I am useing it for sleep so maybe getting off might not be so bad. I'm glad I read your reply. thank you. Cat

• Posted

Hi Bekstar

Mit. does cause increased appetite , you do not have to give in to that , take control . One thing you can control when in that black hole that none of us want to be in . Only eat what you would normally eat . You will not gain weight if you did not before .

have you actually got married now , as far as I understand , these days weddings cause lots of stress , meant to be happy time .

Do it your way . I proposed to my partner and we were married within 3 weeks , seems to take 3 years now . Also seems to cost a fortune . No wonderyou are stressed .

Good luck

• Posted

I am impressed that Jenny could control her eating while taking mirtazapene. Not something I was able to do.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.