Mirtazapine - weight gain!!!!

Posted , 67 users are following.

Hi,

I've never posted on a forum before but wondered if anyone could give me any advise.

I was diagnosed with depression just before christmas, I had quite a traumatic year with a series of bad events occurring, I was also getting married which I think was the only thing keeping me going, looking back now I realise I was slipping into a depressive state for about 2 months before I finally broke. I fell into quite a catatonic state being unable to function at even a basic level, it was as if my brain had just shut down.

The doc started me on sertraline but this made my anxiety so bad that I couldn't even go into my back garden, unable to leave the house or speak to anyone for a month, he then gave me citralopram, this reduced my anxiety but gave me insomnia, so I spent another month sleeping (or rather not sleeping) on my sofa and only getting a few hours of sleep here and there.

So my doc decided to try mirtazapine, my depression has reduced dramatically but I've have gained a lot of weight, which at first I thought was a welcome side effect compared to anxiety and insomnia but now this is really starting to lower my mood again,

When I was at the beginning of my illness and was unable to function, eating didn't even enter my head and I lost around a stone and a half (my usual weight sticks around 10 - 10 1/2 stone) to 9 stone, I looked really unwell at this weight, but since being on mirtazapine I have gained 2 1/2 stone in the first month (I'm into my second month now) and it's just staying there. I have tried changing my diet and exercising but I'm stuck at nearly 12 stone.

I look overweight, none of my clothes fit me and the worse part is that I look 6 months pregnant and because I am only just venturing out again after months of solitude, a lot of people think that I am pregnant and that's why they haven't seen me, I'm struggling to keep my smile and tell people I'm not as I am infertile and this has been one of the issues that led to my depression in the first place.

I'm not sure if anyone can help, I guess I'm just looking for advise on losing the weight or whether I should change my meds (again!!!!)

5 likes, 147 replies

147 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Today I have been given 15mg Mirtazapine for the first time. From reading reviews I'm very concerned about taking them mainly due to the weight gain many people experienced.

I'm a 31 year old female and other than the pass 2 years I have always been overweight (18 stone). I'm now 11 stone which I'm comfortable with.

I have been given Mirtazapine as following operations and maybe more to come I have been suffering with very low self esteem mentally & physically. 

I know the medication has been given to help but I'm worried if I am to gain weight I will feel even lower about myself. I have told this to my GP who has advised he will weigh me in 2 months to see if weight has been gained.

By reading your reviews the weight gain seems to happen very rapidly.

Your opinions and thoughts are greatly appreciated 

J sad

• Posted

I just started taking remeron a week ago I've noticed a lack of energy but I still exercise a lot , the first few days my weght dropped 2 pounds but now it's back and I feel flubby a little bit like my body is preparing itself for weight gain and I don't now if that's the case so does anyone have a experience that will tell when it's coming
    • Posted

Iv been on mirt 45mg since April.when I was put on it I was really ill and hadn't slept for weeks.i was put under the emergency team and when I saw the psycyatist he said the drug could cause weight gain but if I took it that night I would sleep and that seemed like heaven.anyway once the foggiest had gone and I started to use my brain I realized the implications of taking a drug like mirt.i had a really bad experience with olanzapine I gained 3 stone and as soon as I put food in my mouth I couldn't stop eating.so I had to take action I couldn't allow that to happen again.so since may I severely restricted my diet now all I eat is oranges cup a soup and soup.i was terrified if I started to eat something nice then I wouldn't be able to stop.anyway at the beginning of the week I decided this couldn't go on so I went to see my gp and I told her I couldn't take it anymore.so I'm coming off the mirt.she had a letter from my psyc and he said I might not have put on any weight yet but I would.maybe he should ask himself why I haven't put on any weight yet.mood wise the mirt probably does help but it is actually destroying me.finally it's given to anorexics,people with no appetite and vets give it to underweight cats.that says to me that one of its main functions is weight gain.
    • Posted

It's been very rough in the past 36 days I've gained 42 lbs I'm only 5"4!  I went from 135 to 177 in less than a month it's horrible even worse my body is just tired and I'm buying clothes every week I told my go to take me of and she didn't listen so I've suffered severely mirtazapine is the devil
    • Posted

Hi

Can relate to you,  I have only been on mirtazapine for 3 weeks and my weight gain is unbelievable,  at 7stone 4ounces, abit of weight gain wudnt do any harm,  but this is not a natural weight, I would describe it as flubby, nothing fits me.  Never b4 have I ever worried about gaining weight I could eat and eat and never gain weight. Are you of mirtazapine and have things returned to Normal. 

• Posted

Sadly no I now weight gain 203 lbs my measurements are 39" -35"-50" each if my thighs is 311/2 " my arms are 15" my fingers are even fat my doctor has not been helpful. I hate this medicine so much!!!
    • Posted

This medicine has really changed me people don't recognize me because I'm so big now but still my mood is better and I'm not as depressed even though I've gained all this weight,  my mind is clear.and my depression seems to be less hard. 
    • Posted

I'm concerned re this weight gain, I would love a settled mind but don't think I could tolerate so much weight especially when I have always been a slim person and never had to think about it

It's hard to know. I'm glad your depression has improved

Keep it going

Hugs

• Posted

It's been a struggle but I've managed to deal with it funny thing is I've gotten used to being heavy but I'm really happy the depression has stopped , thank you for you good wishes .
  • Posted

Hi. I was on Mirtaz n I gaine ten pounds in 2 mths inspire of being on a diet n exercising everyday. I had a lot of bloating issues as well. AD now my dr wants me to go back on it. 

But it def causes tremendous weight gain.

• Posted

Whilst on mirt I was exercising more than ever before, using 'my fitness pal' & 'map my run' I drank water regularly which I never did before and for the last month I ate really healthy, despite this I didn't shed a pound. I went back to the docs because although my mood lifted to start with, the weight gain really started to drag me down again (please no bad comments about this, I am not vain but when dealing with depression if something makes you feel uncomfortable or unhappy then it needs addressing as it is detrimental to your recovery) as soon as I came off them the weight fell off me, I didn't change any aspect of my life other than stopping that type of meds and that just proves to me that it was the meds. I also want to add that after 6 months of counselling and 8 months of meds, I am finally off everything and recovered from my depression. There is light at the end of the tunnel even if it doesn't feel like that right now, and it will make you a stronger person. Sending hugs to you all. 
    • Posted

So happy for you bekstar. Going to go the way you have gone - bin the meds and do counselling. Thank you for sharing...... smile 
  • Posted

Hi. It's so nice to hear that I'm not the only one. Depression is bad enough, compounded with weight gain inside of diet n exercising makes it worst. U feel u have no control over anything. 

If I may ask then which med worked for you. Am seeing my dr today n I have to convince him not start mirtaz for Me 

And waiting for the end of the tunnel.

thank you for your support!

• Posted

Hi, sorry haven't logged on for a week or so, the doc put me on Venlafaxine but I wasn't on them long before I jacked the meds altogether.  Hope the end of your tunnel comes soon xx
  • Posted

This discussion has made me feel so much better. I was on Citalopram for years, after changing from Fluoxetine. I have been on ADs for nearly 20 years. I have gained 4 stone in that time and just get so depressed about it. My GP has just put me on Mirtazapine and I have put on half a stone in 6 weeks - that''s over a pound a week. I am also having unbelievably awful dreams - so violent and unlike anything I've dreamt before. Can't be doing with it. I'm not going to take it any more. In fact I'm going to stop taking ADs altogether. I think they are not the answer for me. I'm sick of being overweight and I know it's the ADs. I also have a hypothyroid, which is being treated with levothyroxine, but I'm not convinced it's working. I think all hormone treatments and so-called mood stabilisers are deeply suspect and if we can do without, so much the better. I really really hope that some of the 4stone I have gained on these drugs will drop off. It's these that make me feel worse than I would normally.

Good luck to you all and thank you for sharing your experiences which have made me feel like I'm not alobe out here battling this weight thing. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.