Mirtazapine Weight Loss Help

Posted , 1 user is following.

So I've been on Mirtazapine for almost 2 years now. I've always been curvy, and when I started I was about 65kg (I'm 5'7). I noticed the increased appetite for the first few months but it went away, and I managed to eat basically the same. I thought I was one of those people to not gain weight from it, but after about 8 months on 30mg I noticed a massive weight gain. After a year ans a half, I put on almost 25kg, despite not changing my eating habits. I cut down to 15mg, but I am still way overweight now. I'm convinced that it slows down your metabolism, because my diet has been unchanged (if anything, I'm eating less than I was before).

I don't want to stop taking Mirtazapine, as it has greatly helped my sleep and panic attacks. It's helped me a lot, yet I can't help but hate being this heavy. It's really taking a toll on my self confidence. Is it possible to lose some weight while staying on this medication? Has anyone been able to do that? I've downloaded myfitnesspal and I plan on exercising and counting calories and trying to be more disciplined and strict with myself. I started yesterday, and I was surprised to see that the calories creep in here and there without me thinking about it. I'm hoping this will work, -: I really don't want to stop taking Mirtazapine. I don't want to have to choose between good mental health OR healthy weight, I'd love to have both! Please let me know if you have any advice or experience with this.

1 like, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.