Mirtazapine with Duloxetine

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all, my Psychiatrst has upped my mirtazapine 15mg to 30mg and is about to start me on Duloxetine to run along side of it! Has anyone else had this combination and got any advice?

Thank you

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I took duloxetine before I started Mirtazapine. I was on the lower dose too. I was told to stop taking it for a few days, then start Mirtazapine. I personally don't think it's a good idea to mix them. Duloxetine works on pain.
    • Posted

Thanks Jess, the Duloxetine is supposed to be a replacement for the venlafaxine I was on, I get a lot of pain in all my joints as well as depression. The Mirtazapine was started mainly for anxiety and not sleeping, right now I'd take anything the dr gives me
    • Posted

Honestly I'd stop the Mirtazapine (unless it is actually working) and just go on the duloxetine. It can cause interactions. I don't know why he would recommend it
    • Posted

Drug interactions between Cymbalta and mirtazapine

Cymbalta (duloxetine)

mirtazapine

Interactions between your selected drugs

Major

mirtazapine ↔ duloxetine

Applies to:mirtazapine and Cymbalta (duloxetine)

Using mirtazapine together with DULoxetine can increase the risk of a rare but serious condition called the serotonin syndrome, which may include symptoms such as confusion, hallucination, seizure, extreme changes in blood pressure, increased heart rate, fever, excessive sweating, shivering or shaking, blurred vision, muscle spasm or stiffness, tremor, incoordination, stomach cramp, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. Severe cases may result in coma and even death. You should seek immediate medical attention if you experience these symptoms while taking the medications. Talk to your doctor if you have any questions or concerns. Your doctor may already be aware of the risks, but has determined that this is the best course of treatment for you and has taken appropriate precautions and is monitoring you closely for any potential complications. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

• Posted

Thanks Jess, this looks like the link that calmer sent me, I shall talk to Psychiatrst Thursday about this

X

• Posted

Hi Belinda

I've just been reading up on interactions of these 2 AD's and I think your Psychiatrist should do a little reading too.  You can check it out for yourself, but if I put a web site on this forum the Moderator will remove my post, so I will put it in your in box.

Also needing a mention, to go from 15mg of Mirt to 30mg is more than likely going to set off a reaction as you are going from a sedation effect (on 15mg) to an uplifting effect at 30mg (the higher doses used more for depression and the lower doses for insomnia/anxiety).  And if you throw in another AD at the same time the picture will become difficult to read because you won't know what is causing the sudden symptoms.

Bear in mind also, not to just stop cold turkey off Mirt', seek advice on here from these experienced folk who have "been there" - I have had some terrific advice on here.  Or click on my name and follow the link under my name.

Wishing you well Belinda.

• Posted

Thank you calmer, I'll be talking to Psychiatrst again on Thursday and will mention the info you inboxed me, appreciate the advice

Xx

• Posted

How did you get on because I'm in the same boat but they want me to stop Mirtazapine.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.