Mirtazapine with Sertraline?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi. I have recently been diagnosed with depression and it's been a bit of a nightmare with my meds as I can't find one that suits me. I have been on fluoxetine 40mg for several years for my PMT but this wasn't helping my depression. My doctor starting me on mirtazapine and it really did make a massive difference, I felt like I had me back even after just a few weeks of taking it. The only problem was I was piling on weight, which due to other health problems is not an option for me. I put on nearly 2 stone in 6 weeks so I came off it. My doctor wasn't happy I'd taken myself off it but after some persuasion she has now put me on sertraline 50mg. After a month of taking it every day I am still terrible. I'm not sleeping..I am more anxious then I've ever been, I'm not going to have any skin left on my lips and around my nails, I have a rigid fac and jae making me constantly tense and I can't relax at all. I am having mild suicidal thoughts too which I didn't even have before I started taking AD meds. I don't know what to do, I am getting worse daily and I am a single parent of 3 young kids and I have 2 businesses that are all being effected. As my Doctor isn't interested and I can't get into see her over the next 3 weeks I am considering starting toi take the Mirtazapine again, temporarily, until I can see her. Any advice would be much appreciated.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi I would certainly go back on the matazapine I am now only on 15mg they have been great for me try and ride the weight problem if you can and watch what you eat I did put weight on at first but then after 6 months my weight stabilised good luck

Barbara

• Posted

Hi have u tried venlafaxine? I was on mirt done the same to me & worse. I was on 150mg of sertraline just made me yawn all the time didn't really do anything for depression. .venlafaxine has worked so well .starting on 75mg upto 150mg .. Iv had some bad family crap of late & it's got me through it so well thankgod.
  • Posted

Hi have u tried venlafaxine? I was on mirt done the same to me & worse. I was on 150mg of sertraline just made me yawn all the time didn't really do anything for depression. .venlafaxine has worked so well .starting on 75mg upto 150mg .. Iv had some bad family crap of late & it's got me through it so well thankgod.
  • Posted

Hi,

I'm looking at your meds time line, Flux for 2 years, then Mirt for 6 weeks and now Sert for a month.  What I'm wondering is if you did a slow taper from one AD to the next at all.  The reason being, and I'm 95% sure that if you didn't do a slow taper from Mirttazapine before taking the Sert - then the reason you have insomnia and increased anxiety is due to the withdrawal, and possibly wd from Flux as you were on it for some considerable time.

You may already know that AD's shouldn't be stopped suddenly for these reasons.  Did you taper slowly fromn Flux as well?  Our doctors don't seem to receive training or have the knowledge of the effects of stopping these AD's, some just switch you about from one to the other with devastating consequences.  

I really feel for you,  not being able to get to see your doctor when feeling so ill is not what you want right now; if I were you I would ring first thing saying you are desperate and can't cope, a doctor will have to see you that way.  And if things get too bad just walk into A&E ~ although we should always remember that suicidal thoughts do not mean we want to die (too scarey to think about) but an actual side effect of depression ... I hung on to that thought when I was in a dark place and it helped some how.

I think you should take Mirt' again to try and get some stability from the difficult time your nervous system has gone through, and stay on it for some time until you feel you can seek help with CBT/Mindfulness/Therapy of your choice, because you may come to realise that AD's are only a sticking plaster, they won't cure the underlying problem, that takes a little adjustment - but you can deal with that when you feel able when stable.  

However, having said that, I'm not sure if you should take Mirt and Sert at the same time because of interactions (I have popped a link into your message box).  So you must research this first.  I think if you just stop taking the Sert you may well get a bad reaction from that, but try and get some advice about the 2 together.  

Hope this helps a little.

Wishing you well x

• Posted

I can't find an antidepressant to work since my Paxil stopped working back in July of 2015. Either I can't take them because my body doesn't metabolize them or the Prozac and Cymbalta made me so anxious I couldn't sit still. I started having akathesia. I'm still taking the Paxil because if I stop my body will start withdrawing. I was gradually going down on it to get on another antidepressant. I have OCD so I have to have one that helps with it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.