Mirtazapine withdrawal.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone. I’ve been on mirtazapine only for a few weeks at 15mg. I have decided they are only making me feel worse so i have started weaning off them. Have been on 7.5mg for about 4 days now. I’m suddenly today feeling very bad again though. Anxiety is through the roof and i feel very depressed. Also feel very confused and irritated. In fairness, i have been having these symptoms on and off anyway for a few months and i have just come on too. But this is the worst i’ve felt for weeks and i’m wondering if it’s withdrawal causing it. I feel really scared as i have been reading total horror stories of coming of mirt. I have my little girl to take care of though and am on my own in the week while my OH is at work and i’m panicking now that i won’t be able to take care of her again. Getting in a bit of a state to be honest. Thing is though, anyone i’ve seen on these forums going through it have been on it for much longer so is there anyone here who wasn’t on it that long and what were your experiences? Also i’ve seen people saying that on the 7.5mg dose you can feel worse so would i be better off going lower already? I’m really freaking out. Please help!! sad

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I used Mirtazapine for 1 month and stopped 1 week ago cold turkey. Don't have any problems with anxiety. But I also use estacilopram 10 mg may be it helps. My sleep became worse but I can live with it for a while, it is still better than to take Mirtazapine and to gain weight 

• Posted

Thanks irinar. I am also on citalopram and quetiapine so i didn’t imagine i would feel this bad coming off the mirt. Think i might just have to go back to 15mg for now. I’m just not strong enough for this right now. 
  • Posted

I've been on Mirtazapine 15mgs for anxiety for 11 months now. I recently uped the dose to 30mgs but didn't get on with it so after a couple of weeks went back to 15mgs, tapering slowly back down. Since then, like you, I've felt dreadful even worse then before I changed dose and can only presume it's like a withdrawal for me too. I wished I hadn't tried to change things as it's made me worse. I would like to come of Mirtazapine but am so scared too after all the stories on here. Is all I can say is if you want to come off it, persevere but taper off very slowly. Good luck and I hope things improve for you soon.

• Posted

Thanks vikki. Yes i’m def gonna take 15mg tonight and maybe for a few days and see how i feel. Maybe i just need to decrease even slower. As i said though, it is also that time of the month so was maybe a bit silly of me to start doing it when i knew that was due. Right now i get so bad with anxiety around my period. Truth is, i suffered two miscarriages last year which resulted in a total nervous break down which i’m still recovering from plus my hormones are still mucked up so yea, just perhaps need to give myself more time. 
  • Posted

Hi don’t freak out mind you I did as I came off mirtazapine 11days ago after tapering from 30mg for 4 months which was hell and still is the withdrawals are brutal but you have to find a way to deal this the symptoms 

Don’t let the doctor tell you it isn’t withdrawal as it is and it will get better but I you stop completely now yes the withdrawals will be worse but if you taper 1mg a month it should be better good luck 

• Posted

Thanks Caroline! Yes i think i need to take it much slower. Will take 15mg again tonight and hope i feel a bit better tomorrow and then maybe start again with less of a decrease. 
    • Posted

Hi Caroline, have I misunderstood what you said that tapering 1mg every month means it would take 15 months to come off completely? How do you taper by 1mg? Can you get Mirtazapine in liquid form?
    • Posted

Once you get to 15mg you can get liquid mirtazapine and you can lower by 1mg a month I did it until 4mg and then stopped 11 days ago but I’m going through hell with withdrawals 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.