Mirtazapine withdrawal

Posted , 136 users are following.

Hey everyone,

I've been on Mirtazapine 30mg since Feb his year but I've had alot of problems with. Ear infections, burning mouth syndrome etc. so my Psychiatrist think's I should come of it. He told me to cut down to 15mg and only take them for a week and then just stop. So I finally stopped taking the 15mg on Mon night and I feel terrible.

It's not just my moods (my depression/anxiety had been great before coming off med), I physically feel really sick, been feeling extremely nauseated and last night couldn't sleep because I kept thinking I was going to throw up. Is this a normal reaction coming off mirtazapine?

Because my depression/anxiety had gotten alot better, we didn't feel the need to just take me off mirtazapine and put on on another drug because I thought I was cured. Plus, I don't want to take any more antidepressants at all really.

PLEASE, any help or advice you offer would be greatly appreciated because I'm really worried now and I don't want to have to go back to taking mirtazapine sad .

Will the withdrawal last long? How long will it take to fully get the tablets out of my system?

Please help,

thanks,

Star

7 likes, 878 replies

878 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I had tak taken every anti depressant there is and nothing worked until I started the mirtazapine.  It work wonderful, I woke up one morning and all my nightmare life was gone , and I was normal again after 5 years of debilitating depression.  I quickly gained 50 pounds and I'm only 5'3.  As well as I get very tired, low energy, and mussel pains.  I just took the bad with the good, but do not date at all because of being so over weight now.  I would like to get off, but not sure what is worse.  I was a Hevesy drinker before mirtazapine, which is a visous circle, but didn't need to drink anymore on mirtazapine.  I would love to be a normal size again, but not a normal size and crazy.

• Posted

This medication should be removed from the market since all what I read about it is horror. I started to use the brand called REMERON about 5 years ago, on low doses of 7mgs, since I had a problem of mild anxiety and insommia, the product did control my symptoms effectivly. However during the last two years I have been trying to tap it off, but each time I try, I develop kind of even more anxiety. A month ago I decided to cut it off for ever from my life, enough was enough, I said....Now I proudly tell you that I have been one month clean...Nonetheless I am still experiencing these bothering withdrawal effects including: PALPITATION, ANXIETY, CERVICAL CONTRACTIONS, PAIN IN THE JOINTS OF MY HANDS AND NECK, HEARTBURN. I just wonder for how long will I have to live with these symptoms??? I will never ever will take this kind of medication.....not anymore.....
    • Posted

Well done.

i am attempting to do the same.  Down to almost half of the 7.5mg now.  Getting axiety and feel down but trying to pursue.  Tryng to get to your level.  Any hints on how to deal with the anxiety would help

• Posted

Remeron is mirtazapine. And it is hard to quit. Just stay away from Benzos as withdrawl from Benzos is the most dangerous.
  • Posted

I tried unsuccessfully twice to get off Mertazapine but couldn’t. This time I went from 15 mg to 7.5 for 2 days then 3.5 mg for 2 days, then done. I call it, Al’s Xpress plan. I feel ok so far. You have to tell yourself you can do this.  I watched a Video from a renowned Psychiatrist and he said. Antidepressants are  like a chemical labodomy. That was all I needed to hear. I’ll post in a few days when I’m running on empty.
    • Posted

yes please let us know how,you go.  I have tried to go from 7.5 to Half that, now trying to get to 2mg.  Still feel awful on waking and no motivation.  Hope to hear how it goes.  
    • Posted

Laser beam,

I will be sending you positive vibes as you kick the mirt. It was hell for me, but I did it. I am feeling pretty good. It got better after 1 month in terms of any withdrawls. I had to work while going through the myriad of side effects, but it helped me push through and not obsess. You can do it.

• Posted

How did you get off the mirt? Cold turkey? Dry cuts?
    • Posted

Are you dry cutting or liquid titrating?
    • Posted

Mike44081,

It took 1 1/2 months for me to titrate down and about the same amount to get over 90% of the withdrawal side effects. I was on 7.5 mg for 2 1/2 years for night time insomnia and panic attacks. I developed a myriad of health problems I did not have before taking this drug (high blood pressure, obesity, fatigue, severe gastritis, reflux, high cholesterol). I was a fit runner and weight lifter. I was unmotivated, sick and a zombie on this crap. Anyways, I went to cutting the tablets in half for a couple weeks, then every other day for a week, then every two days for about a week, then every 3 etc. Until I was not on any. I felt sick in every way for about a month and a half. Stomachs pain, nausea, blurred vision, headache, flu like symptoms gone now. I have a slight low grade headache but it is manageable. I had to read enough peoples experiences to know everyone goes through this detox and they come through it. I never experienced this coming off of Prozac, Wellbutrin or Paxil 25 years ago. I feel pretty darn good for the most part.

• Posted

Im dry cutting so far, i am going to try again for liquid at nextbpsych appt as it was him suhpggested i lower off and do cbt. Will see what he says
    • Posted

Thanks, as soon as I get through my cold turkey benzo withdrawl I will taper my mirt. Amazing how drugs to treat anxiety ALMOST ALWAYS wind up making it 100 times worse!
    • Posted

I will dry cut probably. The liquid titration seems over-complicated, especially for those of us who are already anxious. When the dose gets very low, I will crush it and lick it off the table. LOL. What are your dosages?
    • Posted

So how do you feel about psych meds? I wish I never took any. I am worse now.
    • Posted

Mike,

I'm now cutting my klonopin. I agree with you. It all sucks.

Anna

• Posted

Klonopin and Xanax are the hardest drugs on earth to quit. I wrestle with which one is hardest cause they act differently. Xanax is faster acting and more potent, but Klonopin stays in body longer. I'm 25 days into a Xanax cold turkey jump. How about you? Cold turkey or taper?

• Posted

Mike, I wish I never had to take them. I suffered from anxiety and depression as a kid before meds. I just somehow ploughed through those years. I got started on Prozac at 27 when my father was dying of cancer. What I found is that they did work for a short period. Then the body got accustomed and I had to keep increasing doses until they didn't work at all. Now, almost 25 years later, I wished I would have just stayed off everything. For me, I believe the long term problems associated with psyche meds isn't worth it. Some people can't function without meds and I believe they do help many. For me, i should have done more talk therapy and CBT prior to meds. Doctors so quickly write scripts without discussing side effects and how the body quits making its own chemicals.

• Posted

Mike, I take .5mg Klonopin to sleep at night because Trazadone, Sonata , Lunesta, Ambien, Melatonin and antihistamine sedation doesn't work for my insomnia. I take on occasion Lorazepam if I have a panic attack I can't come down from using other non drug methods. Xanax didn't work for me and I was able to cold turkey quit (I only took it for a short period). Now talking about Klonopin aka Stevie Nicks nightmare, it works well on my system. I purposely take it every other day or every two days so my system doesn't need a higher and higher dose to help with sleep. The days I don't take it, I sleep like crap. Never the deep rem sleep. I have not attempted quitting this drug yet because my job requires me to not be sleep deprived. I work in health care. I am waiting for my next vacation from work which is usually 10 days to see if I don't take it at all what I'll feel like. I'm sure it will be he'll but my hope is to get off everything this year. I'm keeping a positive attitude. My former therapist and psychiatrist diagnosed me with major depressive disorder and generalized anxiety. I rarely feel depressed but get short fused, angry and frustrated easily. Anxiety apparently can be hereditary. Most of my father's family suffered from this. I hope you are successful in your detox. Keep us posted. We are all going through this crazy shi* together.

• Posted

Yes you are right, these are really hard drugs to quit.

i am trying so hard to get off mirtazapine first.  It is proving so hard.  I dont know if its normal,to be waking up feeling like crap, sickly, like my life isnt normal and i cant push on. I cannot do so many of the things i used to be able to do.  Will this come back i wonder, as im down to 2mg and this is the way i felt before i went on them.  Nothing has worked for me.

i then have to look at the diazepam, not a huge amount, 5mg, but dont know how i will manage to get off it.  I know you want to dry cut like me but how bad are the withdrawals on this one, i dont have much knowledge of these meds as never been on them before and im sure psych will try to put me on something else.

• Posted

Ann, you will feel sick for about 1 1/2 months coming off mirtazapine. The body has to re regulate it's brain chemistry. You will feel better after . It's kind of like coming off of heroin. There is a period where you feel like total crap. That is normal and you can push through it. Keep tapering.

• Posted

Thank you for your experience. It gives me hope to keep on going, between the anxiety and the nausea sometimes its difficult to have a normal day!
    • Posted

Doctors need us to return so they can bill the insurance. Drugdealing101. Get us hooked and business with thrive. The doctors know how bad these meds are.
    • Posted

I'm currently 28 days into a cold turkey Xanax jump. It's misery. Last time I went 35 days but went psychotic. This time I'm on mirtazapine 7.5mg to help me get through benzo withdrawl. I will not even attempt to taper the mirtazapine until I am completely free of the benzo.

• Posted

I hear mirtazipne withdrawl is rough. It's best to taper it nice and slow. Both alcoholics and heroin junkies tell me that benzo withdrawl is the hardest!

• Posted

I take mirtazapine in hopes of avoiding the psychosis and terrible thoughts that I endured detoxing last time. Xanax had a paradoxical effect when I reinsatated. Thus, I am now terrified of all meds which may prove beneficial in my recovery!
    • Posted

Mike, I totally get it. I'm going through similar things right now.

• Posted

A week after lowering to 1.8mg i am having REM dreams waking me feeling like i am putting myself under a train, what the hell is this all,about.  I have had bad dreams before, but this is frightening, is it another withdrawal problem or is it a return of illness?
    • Posted

I am feeling worse every day now and the anxiety is waking me in the night. Having to take extra diazepam but its less effective.  Did you have anxiety on withdrawal?  Also a bit of agitation creeping in.  Will this Get worse and last for weeks or months? Cant cope with that but told not to reinstate dose, that will cause more problems.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.