Mirtazapine withdrawal

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello. Ive been on 30 mg of mirtazapine for over a year. It stopped working 4 months ago but instead of my doc withdrawaling me from it he added prozac. Well i am now tapering down. I am taking 3/4 of my 30 mg tablet per doc. So far nothing. Just worried what to expect so i do not freak my self out.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I found going onto Fluoxetine was the best way to get off Mirtazapine. When I started Flux 20mg the Mirtazapine was halved to 15mg. No real symptoms. Then after 12 weeks starting getting low again so Dr cut mirt down to 7.5 for a week then 3.25 for week then off. I had a couple of really bad days, then about 2 weeks of moderate anxiety and diarrhoea in the mornings then gradually better and better. Has now been 8 weeks since I finished mirt and I feel really good. Will be staying on flux for quite some time.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

• Posted

Hi I've been on Mirt 30mg for over 5 years.

I had been acting and feeling like a 'Zombie' and I needed to establish whether it was anything to do with this drug. Stopped taking it completely 4 days ago and so far nothing! I do feel brighter (perhaps I'm kidding myself) and my sleep pattern has been slightly attered. I, too, am awaiting a reaction.

• Posted

Hi 1254

Ive read many times of Mirt' 'pooping' out.  Of all the AD's I've read to help with Mirt withdrawal, I think your doc has done the right thing - we call it the Prozac bridge ... once off Mirt', Prozac has the least difficulty of getting off.  

So you've cut 25% dosage ... when was this?  Mirt' wd symptoms are usually felrt around about day 4, for some nothing for 2 weeks then BAM, it hits you.  Cold Turkey is never a good idea, too difficult to ride the anxiety and insomnia it usually brings about.

No need to freak out as you put it, there is some good advice to be had on this forum, if the symptoms get too much you can reinstate some of the 25% and with luck this may ease any symptoms.

I'm tapering, slowly, hardly any symptoms so far, just fatigue ~ the lower the dose the more sedation.

Wishing you well.

• Posted

Thank you all. Yesterday was only my second day cutting it 25 % down.
  • Posted

Remember that everyone is different. Some people don't experience withdrawal symptoms until they are down to very small doses. It's kind of a strange mindset, to be aware that you may have a strong reaction with the next cut and yet get catch up  in watching every possible symptom.

I just started a downward titration off of Mirtazapine two weeks ago, 30 thaving o 22,5mg - no signs. I have been on Mirtaz for abou 15 years. This  is not the first time I've gone off Mirtaz. This time I am trying to make tiny cuts, 10% every 3 weeks - if I do end up with alot of withdrawal symptomsI will make smaller cuts over longer period of time. My goal is to make small enough cuts to fool my body.  I don't know if this will work but I can't afford major withdrawal.  My husband was diagnosed with cancer in May and has started treatment, he's pretty sick with sidie effects. We don't have family who can help us, so I have to be functional.

I wish you well on you taper. Try not to worry about what might  happen, there are people who hardly have side effects.

Wishing you well

• Posted

Thanks for your input. I have to say that in comparisson to mnay of you here, I have absolutely nothing to worry about.

Yes I agree we have to play mind games. I realised this a few years ago when I had to give up alcohol. I have just read a thread on Amitriptyline with similar horror stories.

I think that I must, reluctantly, have a discussion with my GP. Reading all these comments on this forum and others will send me into a bout of depression and confusion.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.