Mirtazapine Withdrawal 6 week report

Posted , 4 users are following.

Yesterday makes 6 weeks that I have been off mirtazapine. I still feel: weak, slight vertigo, no appetite, nausea, easily fatigued, anxiety, depressed, and generally ill. It is not as bad as it has been. My weight has stablized at between 189-191 for the past 3 weeks, but I force myself to eat. This has been, and continues to be rough ride. Also, I take medicine for blood pressure and heart rhythm, and it has been hard to keep those under control since going off the mirtazapine, but it is getting better. Anyone else had this problem? I will update at 7 weeks. I have spent so much time sick in bed that my legs tremble when standinging for a while, like taking a shower or washing dishes. Signed: Miserable!

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

David, I am so sorry to hear you are still suffering. It may be a while longer before you start to feel better. How did you taper off the mirt?

Wishing you well.....

• Posted

Kathy, I didn't taper, I stopped abruptly after over 7 years on the mirtazapine. I know that it was a mistake, but I have come too far to turn back now. Thanks for the reply and well wishes, David
    • Posted

Aah, I see and am still so sorry. Stopping suddenly, if you are sensitive can be so horrid on your whole body. I wish you a speedy recovery and please keep us posted. Often, people don't post back when they recover and we never really know what happened to them.

Take care, David...you are in my thoughts.

• Posted

That is very kind and thoughtful of you. I too have noticed postings that suddenly stop and it leaves you wondering the outcome, which, in some cases, is the most important piece of information that someone in a like position could find.

Thanks, David

• Posted

Hi David,I greatly admire you for sticking it out. I know only to well how hard it is especially with IBS. You've done the hardest part now, so just try thinking it can only get better,even if it is a slow prosess.  

Myself I'm only down to 12.5mg which Im staying at untill my Tum settles,then I'll procede to 7.5mg, if I can take the pain.

So you just keep your chin up,and give yourself a pat on the back for 

Doing so well.  Onwards and upwards.Also give your wife a hug for

Her support.

• Posted

Thank you Norma. My bowels are cramping so bad that I am laying down with my pants unsnapped to take any and all pressure off my abdomen. The churning feels like it is right unger my ribs, and you can hear it from anywhere in the room. I dozed off, and the pain woke me up. This has been tough. I'll pass the message along to Donna, my wife. I wish you well with your progress. David
  • Posted

I must say your list of symptoms rang a bell with me, at least some do. I'm taking the withdrawal VERY slowly but still getting withdrawal effects. Manageable so far, but definitely there. Today it felt a bit like anxiety - slight vertigo and nausea, churning tummy, electric shocks through body, waves of sweating, but no actual anxiety. So I can sympathise with you. And I've only had a small reduction so far, reduced from 30mg to 25mg every three days! I'm hoping it will settle down if I stick at this level for a few weeks. I'll try to keep on posting about my progress.

You can only keep on trying, remember we are all behind you.

All the best, Pixie

• Posted

Pixie, thank you for your reply. I wish you well with your progress. I am hoping every day that it will be better; less painful. Was in the bathroom with nausea this morning, but took Phenergan and it took care of the nausea. Take care, David

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.