Mirtazapine withdrawal

Posted , 6 users are following.

I've never felt well on mirtazapine, except the odd day here and there. Tapering off I have had some patches of feeling 80% myself for a few periods at a time but it never lasts. I am down to 1ml of mirtazapine now and I just feel so so poorly all the time. Tired, generally unwell, headache (just unclear head feeling) sore throat, fatigue, everything's a real effort. I'm sleeping ok though which is the only good thing. Someone please reassure me that these feelings will pass. I'm not depressed, just eager to feel well and fed up of feeling like crap. I  can't wait to be off this stuff. Anyone else feeling like this at this stage? 

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

• Posted

Oh and burning eyes! Horrid! 
    • Posted

Hi Dee

your problems sound the very same as mine mirtazapine done nothing for me only sleep they caused anixty which I never suffered from until I took mirtazapine..I didn't taper down when I reach 15mg my doc took me of them over night, he said won't be any withdrawals (what a joke )

but here I am 7wks of mirtazapine and it does get better ,each day you feel a little better.

ive still withdrawals but not as bad (just hope I'm over the worse)

Hang in there 

Kaz

• Posted

Hang in there... It gets better....the Sooner ur off the better you'll feel.. The beginning is the hardest part.....soooo sorry ur struggling...... I went through that struggle too.... It's horrible,  but I feel better now.. And you will too..... 

• Posted

Thank you both. Did you get the same kind of symptoms that I've mentioned? It's just like its never ending! And so hard to believe that such a small dose can make you feel so so awful all the time! 

• Posted

Hi dee

yes I had all the same symptoms as you do..what dose are your taking now ?

i have read so many people's comments I'm losing track

it does get easier the longer your of them it's just a case of living a day at a time try and keep your mind busy I found that helped in the frist few wks when I came of

Hang in there 

message me if i can help you in any way

good luck

Kaz

• Posted

Thank you so much; that's so kind of you. I'm taking 1ml. Have tapered so slowly. It's taken me almost a year to get to this point. I'm just sick of feeling like crap! What dose are you on? X

• Posted

Hi, I am another of the mirtazapine clan.  It never did much for me except sleep. I see you have managed to get to 1mg, well done, i have still to get down from 3.75,can you tell me how you did that?  I am fed up feeling energyless and just want rid of it.

• Posted

Hi Ann. Literally just bit the bullet every 3-4 weeks and decreased my amount. I'm doing liquid taper so it's easier. I was leaving ages between drops and it really didn't get better for me so I just thought, I need to plough through! It's horrid isn't it. Take care! X

• Posted

Thanks for info.  I need to wait till after xmas i think as i dont want to rock the boat just yet. January i will try to drop again, its such a horrible feeling all this just from a nasty drug.  Will let you know how it goes.   Are you on another anti dep at the same time, i notice lots of people seem to be, but i wont be once this goes.
    • Posted

Hi dee

im no longer on mirt doc took me of it at 15mg just over 7wks ago

kaz

• Posted

Thank you both. Did you get the same kind of symptoms that I've mentioned? It's just like its never ending! And hard to believe such a small dose can make you feel so so awful all the time!

• Posted

how are you doing?  Have the mirtaz feelings gone?  Hope you are feeling better.
  • Posted

I feel like that taking them! Last night I went from 30mg to 15mg after being on them for a month. I haven't noticed any worsening of the side effects. My GP has suggested a week at 15mg and then I can switch to the new meds.

I hope you start to feel better soon! Mirtazapine is simply awful!

• Posted

Glad to see you are starting something new, hope it does the trick and that you can leave mirtaz behind, is it citalopram or sertraline hes given you?
    • Posted

Cheers Ann! I'll be starting Trazodone... apparently an older SARI antidepressant. I was on Citalopram before Mirtazapine and I had real trouble with it... increased insomnia, increased anxiety, increased thoughts of suicide and self harm, diarrhoea. I was on Sertraline before that and I had constant palpitations. My psychy consultant (who I've yet to meet) told my GP to steer clear of SSRI's and to try Mirtazapine, and then Trazodone if that wasn't suitable. Fingers crossed that the Trazodone does the trick! :-) x

• Posted

Hi Karen

do let us know how you get on with this change, hope its the right one this time.

fingers crossed.  Keep posting

• Posted

Hi Ann,

Cheers, I will do. I'm due to start on the Trazodone tomorrow night, having had a few days on 15mg of Mirtazapine and a few days without any Ad's.

Hope all is well with you! X

• Posted

Good luck, hope you do well on trazadone.i will be thinking about you.

keep in touch.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.