Mirtazapine withdrawal

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, just wondered if anyone can give me some advice please I had been taking amitryptyline and fluoxetine for over 10 yrs for fibro myalgia, I was coping fairly well. In April 2017 I got told by gp I could not take that combination anymore and I was taken off it. Gabapentin was taken instead. After a few weeks I started not being able to sleep and was prescribed mirtazapine. This was a big mistake but I didn't realise at the time as I was so desperate to sleep. I started to wake up with nausea and anxiety. I didnt realise it was the mirtazapine at first so i eventually went to see my gp who thought maybe I needed to increase the dose so I went from 15 mg to 30mg. The feelings got worse and worse so I returned to my gp and was told for a week take it alternate nights then start fluoxetine again. I did this and after 5 days of taking fluoxetine I was in a terrible state, couldn't sleep, felt sick generally very unwell. I returned to a different gp who said I had come off mirtazapine too quickly so told me to take 15 g every other night for 2 weeks. After 2 weeks I was starting to feel better so he gave escitalopram to start straight away. Again after only a couple of nights of this I started to feel unwell but I continued thinking it was just side effects, after 6 nights I couldn't continue and contacted gp to see if I could stop them. Gradually each day I felt a little better but since day 5 I now feel as bad as ever. I'm waking up in night with an overall feeling of anxiety ( I never had that until I took mirtazapine ) I feel so sick when I get up and I have absolutely no appetite! I am eating but forcing it down.

My question is is this mirtazapine withdrawal? If so how long will this last? I am getting very desperate, which really is not me I am usually a positive person. I see my gp Tuesday I'm sure he is going to suggest a different anti depressant but I really don't want to take any more drugs!

Sorry about the long post but I wanted to try and give you all information I could.

Thank you in advance for your advice.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Please do come and join our mirtazapine withdrawal support group. Look for Toria Stockford on fb and message her to join.
  • Posted

Yes, please join us in the fb group. we have all had problems with this and its a very supportive group.  Like you i was tried on different a.ds all made me worse too and i couldnt tolerate them and had to stop. Really dont want another anti dep as theyve made me feel so ill.
    • Posted

Thank you I will look for the fb group. I'm so sorry you've been through the same thing, how long did it take for you to feel 'better'?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.