Mirtazapine withdrawal

Posted , 5 users are following.

So I've been taking mirtazapine for 4 years, it's done its job and now I'm ready to live without it. I've been taking 15mg for about a year and my psych told me I can just stop so didn't take any last night. I feel ok and slept ok, I have a 5 month old and I'm a single mum and found that I was so drowsy when he wakes but got up before him this morning. Can anyone tell me what to expect? Success stories?

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi Emma, we’re you taking it for depression? I am on Mirt for the second time in my life (5 weeks now and 2 wks on 45mg). When I had to take it for my first episode of depression 6 years ago I tappered from 45mg to nothing with now problems!have not been on it until 5 weeks ago when I started to feel depressed again unfortunately. Some people write horrible stuff about withdrawals- nausea, anxiety, insomnia but you might be absolutely fine or have mild symptoms for a few days! You can always take 7.5mg and half a tablet for a few days and come off it at the slower pace! Good luck xx
    • Posted

Yes for depression but I've been pretty stable for a while now

• Posted

I think the advice your pdoc gave was extremely poor judgment.  I have read other stories of people on this site taking Mirtazapine for 4+ years and they had horrible withdrawal symptoms.  You absolutely 100% need to taper off the medication, slowly.  There are limits as to how much you can cut up your pills with a pill cutter, so you may want to look into taking an oral formulation.  One may or may not be available depending on where you are located.  Worst case scenario is you can take your pills to a compounding pharmacy and have them make a solution so you can titer down the dose with reasonable accuracy.  There are a number of posts online and perhaps on this site that discuss this issue.  You should check it out.  I would titer down as follows:  15 mg --> 11 mg --> 7.5 mg --> 5 mg --> 2.5 mg --> 1.25 mg --> 0.75 mg.  At that point you may be able to successfully discontinue.  This should be done over the course of at least a couple months particularly as you have been on the drug for FOUR years.

• Posted

Hey thanks for the repkies. I have no choice because my psych wouldn't give me a new prescription and i finished my last lot the night before last. My GP wont prescribe me anymore because im under a consultant but she's refused to give me anymore. Hopefully it won't be awful. I can cope with anxiety

• Posted

I bet you wish you hadn't asked that question! Listen to what you and your doctor think. I really want to come off it because of weight gain. Been down to less than 5mg at night. No problems. Yet! Quarter of a tablet for a couple of months. 45mgs!

Good luck to you and your wee family.

• Posted

Lol! I'm feeling good about it. 15mg is hardly a massive dose. I'm feeling tired now so gonna try and sleep. I also put on weight but couldn't finish my dinner tonight so that's a good sign! Lol.

• Posted

I think you're making a big mistake.  Find another doctor as soon as possible.  You've been on this drug too long to not have major withdrawal symptoms.  I hope you rethink this strategy.  Let us know how things go.

• Posted

I don't know where you are but I'm in Birmingham, England, I can't choose another doc, just get the one im given rolleyes NHS for you. I slept well last night (night 2) and my Son got me up about half hour ago and i was able to get up with him without it being a chore. I'm still feeling pretty good, I'm determined to be done with these tablets. 😀

• Posted

My family on my mother's side was originally from Birmingham, UK and settled in Toronto in early 1900's.  I'm in the US.  If you have trouble sleeping, you may want to take a benzo (Ativan, Valium, etc.) for sleep as that can help.  Be aware that you may experience some weird effects as the drug starts to leave your body.  I understand the desire to get the drug out of your system.  My suggestion is that if the withdrawal symptoms become too bad, you should go to the doctor and ask for a refill and then start tapering down.

• Posted

I don't mean to have an answer for everything lol but i can't take Benzos I'm a recovering (4yrs) drug & alcohol addict sad. I keep telling myself this won't be as bad as an alcohol detox Lol! I'm keeping a diary of my symptoms and trying to look at them logically. I dont feel great today, I'm tired, I feel sick & im quote anxious but just keep telling myself this shall pass.

• Posted

You said you've got a wee son you got up and managed okay. That's nothing to do with tablets. Look at what you must have been through. Alcohol/drugs you should feel so proud of yourself. Okay if it takes a wee tablet to make you feel your okay. So what. I personally think it's human nature.

Take care.

• Posted

Hi im so glad to hear you arent taking the mirt pills anymore. I havent had the courage to stop taking them yet. But honestly dont listen to all these piple saying you are making a mistake by stopping the drug too quickly A LOT of people do just fine. Yes i have read the horror stories too... but those are the only ones people see on here. No ones come on here to write about how amazing their withdrawal were and had no problems. Listening to these stories will scare you and make you think you cannot do it (at least thats what they have done for me) best of luck hun i think you'll do just fine smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.