mirtazapine withdrawal

Posted , 9 users are following.

hi all i have been searching the net about withdrawal help and there isn't much out there but i did find a bit about drinking plenty to help detox the drug out of the system which i have been drinking loads with having dry mouth im still up and down and tearful but im just hanging in there .

2 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

all I can say is look after yourself I suffered terribly I didn't sleep for 3 weeks because I came off mitrazapine. I should of got help much quicker than I did. I came off from 45mg too 30 mg too 15mg to 0mg. done it all far too quick maybe over 3 months. How much were you on and how long for

• Posted

Join our mirt withdrawal support group.

Look up Jo Merriam on fb and send a friend request

We have loads of members wuth advice and sypport.

• Posted

Hi Sarah! Do u know if this group is still running. I'm 29 months off Mirtazapine and still going through hell and would welcome any support I can get. If u would b willing to chat with me either on Facebook video or by phone, please p.m. me your number and I will call u. I have free long distance in Canada and United States. Thank you.

• Posted

I'm on the mirt group, too. Where are you at with this? Did you come all the way off and how fast? Mirt is especially cruel in its withdrawal and it is strongly advised if you have cut down by big amounts to go back up a step or two and hang out there for a month or as long as it takes to feel stable again before doing anything else. It is NOT about getting it out of your system! Getting it out of your system is the problem because your system has built it into its operation! Our bodies try to bring about homeostasis when neurotransmitters are elevated artificially by the drug and to do that it modifies the neurons. When you take the drug away too quickly, you are left with those changes unopposed. Yes, it is always good to stay hydrated and flush toxins out, doing so is not flushing the drug out and getting you through withdrawal faster. It is now accepted that one must taper very slowly to successfully come off antidepressants, even if you want to switch to another one, because withdrawal from one will not be canceled out by another. Search the New York times for a recent article about this. I can't put the link here.

• Posted

hi betsy

you seem very knowledgable about mirtazapine withdrawal and I would like to ask your advice please.

I had reduced an initial dose of 7.5mg down to 1.25mg each night and had been on this low dose for several months (in total 18 months including the higher levels).

I followed my doctor's advice for withdrawal and took the mirt every other night, increasing to skipping 2 nights then 3 then 4 then off altogether. this process took about 5 weeks in total, which I now realise was much too fast.

I have been off a couple of months and my sleep has steadily deteriorated and I have had total insomnia for 6 nights of the past 8. I was using phenergan to help me sleep but have restarted mirtazapine again a few nights ago. initially the 1.25mg worked the first night but since then I have had to take more in the night with limited success. I'm worried I have destroyed my sleep permanently.

I have tried speaking to a doctor and a pharmacist but they do not understand and insist my low dose of 1.25mg was not of therapeutic level and wouldn't have had any effect!

I'm hoping that restarting mirt and doing a slower taper is the thing to do but am concerned that it won't work. you wrote somewhere that it doesn't always work so I'm in a bit of a panic. the insomnia is is unbearable now.

I wondered if you had any thoughts or advice on my situation? have you seen this before?

best wishes, rachel

• Posted

hi, ive just read your post. i have been off mirt for over a year but cant sleep without taking something. i alternate on taking melatonin and gaba tablets one night, valerian tablets the hext , then a quarter of mirt , which is ,3.75 mg at least once a week with no ill effects.. if i take nothing im lucky to get 3 hours of broken sleep. Taken various tablets i get ,6 hours quality sleep.I have heard if you stay awake for 24 hour's this gets your sleep pattern back in rythem. im now resigned to the fact that this is the only way i get some sleep.

• Posted

took me four to 5 months to come off 15 mg. Got pill cutter and cut tablets into 4 pieces. Took 3/4 for 3 weeks, then half tablet for 4 weeks then half tablet every other day, then every 3 rd day, then every 4 th day until down to half tablet once a week ,then off. It was hard but i kept busy and read about anxiety symptoms which were not pleasant during withdrawal. all ok now. sleep is still a issue but i take melatonin and gaba tablets. these work well.

• Posted

Hi, i been off now nearly 8 months. the hardest thing is the anxiety but this does ease. Keeoing busy and focusing on good things helps. Doing excercise and practicing mindfulness helps also. This calms the brain to stop u fixating about how u feel. Your mind can go into overdrive thinking why am i like this!! Doing breathing techniques and focusing calms things down. It does get better but withdraw slowly. Everyone will experience things differently.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.