Mirtazapine withdrawal

Posted , 10 users are following.

i am trying to taper off of 7.5 mirtazapine and struggling. i was on it from march until june when i tried to get off of it. doc instructed to cut by 1/4 tablet every week, got off without much issue but 2 weeks later insomnia and could not sleep more than 2 hours a night. after 3 weeks with no sleep i went back on to 7.5 again. in hindsight i probably should have tried a smaller dose at that time. after stabilizing for a few weeks started tapering at a slower rate at the end of august. i have been reducing my dose by a small amount every two weeks and have just gotten down to a dose of .5. things are still a major struggle with each small cut. about day 4 after a cut everything starts, nausea, headache, anxiety, insomnia, back and hip pain and just all around feeling bad. looking for support or ideas on how to get through this. at what dose is it ok to just stop and go to zero. thanks for any help you can give me.

1 like, 34 replies

34 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

hi been on this drug 10 months never done anything for me put up to 30 mg then very slowly withdrew with drs advice took a few months now 6 weeks without a tablet but so hard only one or two hours sleep for last 4 weeks sometimes non ibs stomach is shocking sinuses fear the fear im feeeling but dont know what it is no appetite anger nausea frustration hope it all eases soon any imput would be very much appreciated thank you

• Posted

No matter for how long you've been tapering, with this drug, you will go through withdrawal once you are no longer taking Mertazapine. The fact that you've tapered down to such a small amount may mean your withdrawal symptoms won't be as long versus someone with a shorter tapering span or someone who stops cold turkey. I tapered too quickly and it took 7+ weeks before I started getting relief from nausea, low energy and malaise. I am no longer as nauscous and not upon waking. The nausea comes later in the day, doesn't last too long now and generally I feel better. I am looking forward to putting Mertazapine behind me for good. It's been he'll over these past few months. Hang in there. This too shall pass!

• Posted

Hi, why did you decide to stop it in the 1st place? Was it giving you bad side effects ? Did help you to sleep? Hank

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.