Mirtazapine withdrawal and brain zaps

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi

I’m on week 5 off Mirtazapine and having brutal withdrawals, increased anxiety, depression, can’t eat , nausea, some muscle twitching in the morning, waking early and feeling crap about the day , crying spells, no appetite I’m also having brain zaps that feels like a second of a short circuit in my head that leaves me feeling sick and a bit dizzy, some people on these forums say these brain zaps are the brain trying to get back to life without Mirtazapine, has anyone else experienced these ?

Please reply if you have and if they go away , I feel scared and almost at my wits end.

Taking Diazipam to help with the withdrawal but feel like it’ll never end 😩

Matt 

2 likes, 167 replies

167 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I had my first Window on Friday. I felt amazing almost no symptoms. I was able to take my son to a Red Sox game.. I can't believe I actually went there having felt so bad the past months. Back to nausea tinnitus and anxiety today though. It does give me some hope that more of these breaks might be coming. Hang in there gang I just finished my 8th month starting number 9.

• Posted

Hi stuck indoors 

That’s great 👍 yes hang on to that thought because you’ll get more windows like that , so pleased for you .

• Posted

If you would like to join a FB mirtazapine withdrawal support group, please private message me.
    • Posted

Hi jo

I’m not on FB but thank you .

I’m 10 weeks Mirtazapine free now , still not quite right but most withdrawals have settled down but still experiencing some 

• Posted

Hi Karen 

Yes slight improvements but anxiety still keeping me in the house but trying hard to even go Tesco , I went yesterday it was unpleasant but I went, have to keep pushing myself or I’d just stay in forever 😂

Hope you are continuing to improve and get back on track to happiness 👍

• Posted

I'm doing ok not 100% still struggling with sleep issues tho. Doctors gave me sleeping tablets just for emergencys obv not wanting too take them much. Glad your getting a wee bit better the anxiety is horrible isint it. I find if I get a good sleep I'm not getting as much anxiety. I've been taking the epsom bath salts with lavender too try n chill out n mediation DVD really works for me xx

• Posted

Hi Karen 

So pleased for you , not 100% is still 100% better than you were if that makes sense, your managing and getting your life back , sleep is a big thing a totally agree but it will settle down and you’ll start to sleep normally.

Glad you’ve found that the bath and salts help you , I have found mindfulness meditation helpful.

Just need to get on top of this anxiety enough to be able to push myself more , we know it can’t hurt us but it’s really hard to think like that when you don’t want to leave the house because your tummy and body is churning 😩

Keep getting better 👍 x 

• Posted

Yeah defo thats what mental health said too anxiety n panic attacks can't kill us no matter how bad it gets. Just feels like it tho. Yeah hopefully the sleep will get better in time. Have u not asked doctor for something for the anxiety just too take the edge off it for u xx

• Posted

Hi Karen 

I’ve tried several antidepressants and had terrible reactions to them so cane off 3 different ones and now in the process of taper off Diazipam which I’ve been on for 9 months , it’s pretty hard getting off them but I’m doing a slow taper.

I’m 53 and post menopause so trying HRT now , been on it 6 weeks, there’s a lot of research about some women getting anxiety and depression in menopause and being prescribed AD’s when it should be HRT because our hormones are all over the place so sticking with this for the next few months and see how it goes , don’t really want to try another AD unless it’s the last resort, they work well for some people but don’t for me, so it’s HRT , exercise, mindfulness and CBT when my appointment comes .

• Posted

Are you getting any side effects with HRT, I got bloating , breast tenderness, and more depression,
    • Posted

Hi Susan 

I’ve been on it 6 weeks, had Mirena in February and started Estrogel 6 weeks ago.

I’ve had nausea and some headaches, it’s hard to tell what other effects I’m getting as I’m tapering off Diazipam which is awful!

The HRT has stopped the night sweats and I’m getting a bit better at leaving the house , my anxiety has almost turned me into a hermit! I also think it’s starting to help with the sadness a bit.

I know it takes time to help anxiety and depression, some say 3 months maybe longer but I’m willing to keep going with it as AD’s have not helped me, I think it’s hormonal, I’m 53 and post menopause, been slipping with depression and anxiety for a few years probably started in peri.

• Posted

Yeah your quite rite sounds like it could be the menopause. You've obv done a lot of research into this and good for you taking your time and patience not just too rush and try antidepressants. You are doing brilliant I wish u well will defo keep in touch with you take care xx

• Posted

Hi Susan 

I was wondering how you are ? How is the HRT going for you and are you feeling any benefit from it yet ?

What are you using ? I’ve got Mirena and Estrogel, I’ve just gone up to 3 pumps a day of the gel , I do get some nausea but that could be the anxiety or the Diazipam withdrawal I just don’t know but I’m 7 weeks on it now and starting to feel less depressed and anxiety isn’t as bad , still a big deal leaving the house and being sociable but hopefully that will come in time.

Do you work ? I don’t at the moment but hopefully in time I can get back to work , it’s been a tough year but can’t go on forever!

Hope things are picking up for you 

Matt 

• Posted

Hi Karen 

Some days are better than others , today not so good as I’m not sleeping great so anxiety is pretty high 😩

Yesterday was better I even done a couple of hours volunteering work at the local cancer research shop to get me being around people, it was ok , shaking like a leaf when I went in though, Shane I feel crap today but I suppose you got to just expect days like this .

How’s things for you ? Hope your still making progress? How’s work going?

Thanks for keeping in touch , I do get lonely so it’s nice to get messages 😀

Matt x 

• Posted

That's great what u did at charity shop well done we just need too keep pushing ourselves but it's so hard. I was doing ok. But im still really struggling with my sleep it's awful. Then I get anxious feel as if it's just a vicious circle going around and around and hate bothering the doctors 😫😭 xx

• Posted

Hi Karen 

Yes sleep is sooooooo important when your dealing with anxiety if your sleep is disrupted it can make or break the day , very frustrating isn’t it!

But your pushing on that’s the main thing and not in that dark place you were in a few weeks ago which is positive.

Don’t worry about bothering your dr that’s what they are there for and maybe they could help with your sleep maybe the mental health team can give you some advice on sleep, I wake really early like 3.30 so I lay there and my mind starts , if I could even sleep till 6 it would be great cos I’d just get up and go for a walk but 3.30 is way to early.

Sometimes I stick a meditation on with my headphones and try to relax but as we know it’s not that easy sometimes.

Hope your sleep improves 

Matt x

• Posted

Thanks Matt I agree if we could even sleep 12 till 6 that's all I ask for us both. I feel I get an hour here n there it's hell. Hope one day soon me and you will get thru this xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.