Mirtazapine withdrawal and insomnia

Posted , 10 users are following.

One year ago, insomnia and anxiety brought me to mirtazapine, 7.5mg. I've been feeling much better of late, so decided to come off. Over the last forty days I've tapered by grinding down my tablets to uniform sizes, 1mm at a time (I don't have access to liquid mirtazapine). As the doses got lower, I did notice improvements in my daytime mood, as well as IBS symptoms. The past two nights have been my first without taking anything and insomnia is back in full force, but I'm not anxious like I was a year ago. I don't know what to do though and don't know what to expect. Please help before I get anxious and don't sleep for three months again!

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

liquid is not available where I am. I take my pills to compounding pharmacy and he crushes them up and puts them in 60ml of some thin syrup. I did need prescription for him to do that and my doctor cooperated. but honestly it doesnt look hard. they did it right in front of me. it took them 5 minutes to do it. they used a silver bowl and pestle to grind 60 pills of 15mg and mixed in the 60 ml of solution to make 15mg per 1 ml. then they scraped the last bit of it into the bottle. I stayed on liquid 2 weeks on same dose. I have started to make small cuts using 1ml syringe. unfortunately I still have insomnia several days of it. I dont know if it's the very small cuts I made or just my insomnia. I've had insomnia the whole time on mirtazapine. I go through periods of sleeping ok for a couple of nights then get hit with not sleeping but 30 mins. recently fallen into a pattern of sleeping every other night. its really frustrating and I really feel for anyone going through it. I really think you can make it yourself and you can pick ratio if you only want to reinstate small amount. best of luck.

• Posted

Hey great work. I cut my Mirt up like you. have been off nearly 2 years. it was a horrendous journey , just click on my name to see if what I went through helps you. Keep going.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.