Mirtazapine Withdrawal - Any advice will be appreciated!

Posted , 3 users are following.

Please, help sad

I've been on Mirtazapine for about 3 years. A year ago, I started reducing the dosage - From 45mg to 30mg for 3 months, then 15mg for 3 months, and 7.5mg for 6 months. Each time I had some nausea, diharrea and dizziness for about 2 weeks and that's it.

I started cutting the pills into 3.75 for about 2 weeks. Then took some crumbs for 3-4 days and finally stopped completely 3 days ago. I felt OK the whole time (just tired) but last night it hit me like a train. I couldn't sleep at all, anxiety is through the roof, can't think straight, so jittery sad And, of course, nausea & diharrea.

I'm a collage student and my final exams start in a week and half. I'm really worried I will not be "ok" by then. I don't mean completely without withdrawal symptoms. Just more tolerable ones... I can't imagine going through another night like this. I was walking around the house from side to side going crazy. I've never had such problems before, so I'm SURE it's not my anxiety coming back.

Please, any advice will be very helpful. How long does it normally take to for the anxiety/insomnia to start easing up? Does it get gradually better or does it come in waves? Is there something I can use to take the edege off? I have Oxazepam and Clonazapm at home. Will it be ok to take for a few days? Is it likely that I would be a bit better by the time my exams start?

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

Having had bad withdrawal experience for 4 weeks now I'd suggest you go back on the dose you last felt stable on until you finish your exams. Your other pills would help but if you needed to take them for weeks you might then suffer with the whole new level of withdrawals as they're highly addictive. I hope that helps. Good luck!

• Posted

Thanks. 

I was thinking of going back to 3.75mg tonight (altough they're hard to cut even with a good pill splitter).

4 weeks! My gosh, how are you doing now? Did the insomnia/anxiety last the whole time or did it gradually decrease? 

Would love to get advice for when I ultimately stop. 

• Posted

No problem. Everybody is different and some people have hardly any withdrawal problems so please don't rely only on my experience only. I've had it badly with nausea, insomnia, anxiety and lots of phisical pain in my joints and muscles. It got worse on the week tree and I'm still struggling. I'd definitely wait till you know you have some time to take it easy on yourself before stopping completely. I was also cutting to 3.75mg and that was the last time I felt well. With the sleep problem, my doctor told me not to stress too much, once you've had a few hours here and there your body will be fine - and that's what I'm doing but days are difficult with the fatigue I never experienced before! I don't think you'll have a very difficult time coming off it one day, I'm just one of those very unlucky ones smile

Good luck!

• Posted

Thank you! I hope you're right. 

I don't mind the insomnia itself as much as the anxiety in combination with insomnia sad So... got worse on week 3? Wow... I guess I need to expect the unexpected and prepare for my worse nightmares.

Good luck to you too! I hope you feel better soon. wink

• Posted

hi not everyone suffers to much coming off mirtz i found it easy and it comes out of your body very quickly.. goodluck
  • Posted

hi i came off mirtz 6 weeks ago all withdrawel  as gone now! i did have a night like you had and asnt happened again! when is your exam hun
    • Posted

My first exam is on the 9th of July. I have another one a week afterwards.

Can you please tell me some more about the withdrawal you experienced? 

• Posted

i was on 30mg then tapered down to 20mg in a week then went onto sertiline so stopped mirtz all together. i had vivid dreams, felt like i had flu for a week then had a night like you have now all settled down. 9th july isnt long maybe take a small dose or ride the storm because 9th july is over a week away

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.