Mirtazapine withdrawal - constant headaches!!!

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello guys...I'm new to this forum and after some advice/reassurance.

I was on Mirtazapine for about 9 mths....initially 15mg then went up to 45mg. Mainly to help with sleep and low mood.

I decided that I wanted to come off the meds as I didn't want to be on them anymore.

Anyway I saw a Dr (not my usual Dr) who just gave me 30mg for 2 mths. Then I took 15mg for 2 mths and then went cold turkey. I was ok for about a week then the withdrawal symptoms hit me like a tonne of bricks. Feeling sick, no appetite. The insomnia is absolutely horrendous!!!!!!! I haven't slept properly for weeks. Ended up getting some sleeping tablets from my Dr. I only take these if I really need to. I've also got a constant headache... Is this normal?

So cross as I feel I didn't get the correct advice about tapering off Mirtazapine.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I,m afraid these are classic symptoms from too rapid a withdrawal from Mirt. Some folk manage to go cold turkey but it wasn't for me - I suffered like you until the good folk on this forum advised a much slower withdrawal.  What I did was go back on to Mirt, stabilise then follow the 10% reduction method. It takes a lot longer but it was the only way I could cope. So you could for example go back on say 7.5mg Mirt, stabilize, then cut the dose slowly. I used liquid Mirt to do this easily and didn't stop until I was down to 1mg !.  

• Posted

Thanx my cloud.  I think it may take me 6 months or more to get off of Mirt and that IF I can get off.  Next week, I'm cutting again yet again from 15 mgs to maybe 10 and then 7.5 and then off but I'm going really slow.  I think I'm experiencing every withdrawal side effects in the book and then some.  Hmmmmmm I've never been told about the liquid.  That may be a much better way than trying to cut the tabs into crumbs.

• Posted

Hi kate:  I've taken Mirt for over 20 years and having experience withdrawing from SSRIs andr SNRI's, I already know what's coming for me in the way of withdrawal symptoms (at least some of them).  I was luckly enough to have a physician warm me about withdrawal side effects.  It's not at all as easy as you may think.  Cold turkey is NEVER advised.  I alternated between 30 mgs and 15 mgs for two weeks and then have stayed at 15 mgs -- this is my 3rd week and just this week did I begin to feel the side effects. I won't do into them here -- way too many and too distressing to relate.  It's a shame in a way that the doc added more meds but I'm happy to know you are only taking the sleeping tablet every now and then because they carry their own nasty effects upon withdrawal.  To answer your question, yes all the symptoms you are experiencing are normal during Mirt withdrawal.  What sleeping tablet are you taking?  Go slow withdrawing from any psychic drug is my experience.  Good luck.

• Posted

it seem very few get the right advice when stoping this table, my dr just wanted to stop them immediatly and i refused i'm so glad i did refuse cutting down is bad enough 

• Edited

Thanks for all your replies guys. Appreciate it. I'm going to ride it out as I really don't want to go back on the meds. I had an horrendous nights sleep last night....feel so rotten and got a banging headache to go with it too!!!

Dr reluctanty prescribed me Zopiclone sleeping meds...7.5mg. Only really taking one when I really have too.

Got some over the counter herbal sleeping tablets from Boots but they did bugger all.

Be glad when I feel normal again 😔.

• Posted

Hi- 

I have read through so many threads about mirtazapine side effects but has anyone experienced such fluctuation is symptoms?? I always wake up groggy (although this constantly varies in intensity) and I go for several days feeling pretty good,

Followed by several days where I have a constant headache, tired eyes, sore throat, generally unwell feeling.

I have been on mirtazapine for nearly 18months. I was originally put in 30mg, cut down to 15mg and then 7.5mg. Over two months I have slowly tapered from 7.5 to 5.25mg using liquid mirt. Are these withdrawal symptoms I'm experiencing despite tapering so slowly? I generally have more energy now that I'm on lower dose, but the other ailments are really getting me down. Can't wait to be off this stuff!

• Posted

I have tapered from last 7.5 to now 3.75 for last month.  I have had to take pills for nausea, insomnia, anxiety and now have a migraine.

can you tell me for how many weeks you had these symptoms.  Were they the same as mine?  It is as much as i can do some days to get up.

• Posted

I wouldn't recommend going cold-turkey at all, I know everyone's experience is different but your body has gotten used to this drug and coming off it is like an alcoholic or drug-addict coming off their addiction. Your brain is addicted to this and so is your body, so when you do go cold-turkey it is a sudden shock to the body and brain and it's an absolute nightmare.

I would recommend going on 7.5MG for now to settle your symptoms then slowly taper off it. Of course you'll get withdrawal symptoms but at least they will be manageable.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.