Mirtazapine withdrawal dilemma - advice needed please?

Posted , 9 users are following.

I started withdrawing from Mirtazapine back in Jan of this year, from 7.5mg. I got the liquid version and tapered down by 0.5ml (.75mg) initially every week, but had to stop that and start by dropping a day a week as I got withdrawals etc. I have been doing very well and was able to drop back to dropping it over 4-5 weeks. I got down to 0.1.5ml and the withdrawals kicked in, nausea, anxiety, sleep problems, cramps, etc etc. I stayed where I was for a few weeks but as things didn't really improve I continued to drop down to 0.1ml. During this time I have had some ok days and some awful days. Yesterday and today have been awful, dreadful low mood, very tired, anxiety and horrid nausea again.

My question is, initially I was going to go down to 0.5ml then taper off that to nothing, but the thought of another 3 months before being off it completely terrifies me. I am thinking about starting to taper off 1 night a week, over the next 7 weeks at the 0.1ml, but wonder if the withdrawals will be worse than ever!

id appreciate some advice. I have done the taper so ridiculously slowly, that I am now just fed up with the whole thing, and want to get back to normal again.

i was initially put on it as in Feb last year I had the flu, and was left with anxiety, my GP then prescribed Propranolol which gave me insomnia, and so it went on from there! The Mirt only made me sleep in the first week on being on it. I started it in June 2013, so been on it just over a year and have been withdrawing from it since Jan this year.

Any advice appreciated.

thanks

Jo x

1 like, 51 replies

51 Replies

Next
  • Posted

The only advise I can give you is to try and weather the storm ,when you are feeling better and only then start to tapper as slow as possible.Ive heard it said before on this site that the last 7.5is the worst.I myself was on it for 4yrs at 45mg I'm slowly tapering off at the moment I've got to 15mg. I was given it for IBS and the lower I come the worse my tum becomes.But I'm going to go as slow as it takes.Good Luck.I hope that's been of some help.Take your time don't rush it.
  • Posted

Hi Norma,

thanks for for your reply.

i understand what you are saying but my GP isn't very supportive, doesn't believe their are withdrawals etc etc and has said she is reluctant to prescribe anymore liquid after Oct, as I will have had the liquid version for 12 months by then. I did try and withdraw last year from it using liquid but had to stop and used tablets again. It was only in Jan/Feb of this year that I used liquid again. She says she's never heard of anyone withdrawing so slowly before! 

I struggle to understand that GP's who are paid roughly £100k per year fail to understand that if you put a drug into your system that's mind altering, will not cause any withdrawals when they stop it! 

• Posted

Tell your GP to go on this site and he will soon see the amount of people who have bad withdrawal symptoms comeing off this drug.Im sure you will have quite a few of them people replying to you this afternoon ,I hope someone can suggest something better than me for you.And as for gps don't get me started good luck 
  • Posted

You should taper off every 2 weeks!!
    • Posted

Hi

i see you have suggested to others 10% every two weeks! but now that I'm down to 0.1ml it's very hard to do that. Should I do 0.02ml every two weeks then? On the 1ml syringe there are 4 or 5 notches between each 0.1ml marker, so I could drop to each one of those? What do you think?

• Posted

Anyway since you use the oral solution you should check out the cita website they have an interesting chart to follow.
    • Posted

Hi

Thanks for your replies & info. I spoke to CITA yesterday & they have advised to stop 1 day each week at the 0.1ml over 7 weeks or 14 depending on how I go on. Last night was my first night of nothing, not too bad just very tired today.

Got some meds for nausea from doctor yesterday too but haven't needed them today.

Thanks again

Jo

• Posted

Very good. keep us posted. We all are learning from each other. I'm almost at 7.5mg  mirtazapine. You are luckier because you have the oral solution. But I have found a compunding pharmacy able to make smaller doses. 
    • Posted

Yes it is a learning curve. Good job we have these forums to share experiences good or bad with each other.

well done for getting down to 7.5mg, and for finding a compounding pharmacy who'll help you too. It is easier using the oral solution and more accurate too.

take care

• Posted

Hi Jo..

ive had a very hard time coming off the remeron as well. I've tried twice and twice I had to go back on it.

I can't remember who it was but someone posted they had no withdrawls and the way they tapered off was to go every other night for a month. So I'm at 15 right now so I've just started every other night and this week has actually been ok. No sickness and I've been sleeping. They went on to say that after a month they went every third day. Then two weeks twice a week. I really wish I could find the post, but I can't.

i don't want to lead you in the wrong direction but since I've tried twice weaning and it didn't work for me, I'm trying the every other night and seeing if that will work for me.

just a thought. 

My withdrawal symptoms never hit me till I was off the remeron for about a full week or ten days. Then it came on like gang busters.

im sure hope I can get off this time!

im wishing you much luck.....I'm not saying every other night is for you, trust your body. So far, it is working for me and I'm going to post again when I have a month of it under my belt.

• Posted

Exactly...at the 9th day from each reduction it hits you witlout any mercy. Unless you make super small reductions every 2/3 weeks. 
    • Posted

Hi Rose

thanks for your reply. I've also tried twice before and failed. I have to do it this time, it's taken me all year to get this far! When you've weaned before what was your final dose each time before stopping, if you don't mind me asking? Good luck with this method, I really hope it's successful!

jo x

• Posted

Hi manual just been looking at that first site you gave jo,I'm down to 15mg at the moment so I might try following that when I tapper down again.My problem is I was given this tablet for IBS and as I tapper down I don't have the same problems that most people have,apart from sleep deprevation .But the pain in my tum gets worse I'm just hopeing it will ease up eventually.Its got to be one of the worse tablets I've ever had.Good luck to you all.
    • Posted

Where you given Mirtazapine for IBS?? Anyway Norma: they published only one website the one about the CItap charts, te one was about the road back website program (where I learned about the 10% reduction evry 2 weeks) and the third link reported this info:

Mirtazapine depletes:

Vitamin B6, vitamin C, vitamin D, coenzyme Q10, and sodium. 

"People are not Drug-Deficient! They are nutritionally deficient! If any drug is going to deplete your nutritional reserves, then a doctor should tell you what to take to counter this depletion. If not, he is causing HARM to your body! This is against the Hippocratic Oath all doctors take - "First Do No Harm!"

• Posted

That makes sense Manuelmanuel because when I first decided to come off them the doctor told me to get some vitamin D but never mentioned anymore.I think I'll pay him another visit.Trouble is my Dr of 16yrs has retired so no one else in the practise knows me,so you tend to get sent to a different Dr each time.But I will go back and question what you say.Thank you 
    • Posted

Now that's interesting.  Where did you get your information on that?

I've been on Vitamin D suppliments for three months as I was very deficient and have been on various doses of Mirtazapine for years; never more than 15mg and was on half a tablet all last year.  I'm doing it really slowly!

• Posted

Even every two weeks was too fast for me.  I managed well on a quarter for eight weeks and was just thinking of reducing further when something knocked me sideways, I went wobbly and went back to a half.  Got to learn how to cope with bad stuff without back tracking.
    • Posted

Sorry I never answered your question yes I was given it for IBS,but it was probley though stress caused it ,which is rubbish.But trying to free myself of pain I kept taking Mirt thinking it will get better and ended up on it for 4yrs.No one told me to come off it ,now I realise give a tablet a month and if it don't work drop it .Ive got exactly the same problem with Pregablin which will be my next hurdle.But there you go so much for GP sorry I haven't got much faith in any of them anymore.
    • Posted

And remember that then...If you supplement with vitamin D , then you have to aslo supplement with vitamin A. That's very important.
    • Posted

Since I cannot work properly due to Mirtazapine I want to study this thing deeply, to be able to understand what is going on with my body. Then I will make a movie or a documentary about it. Yes, evry two weeks can be fast. I think the first reduction should take 3 weeks, since the ws kick in after 8 days or after 2 weeks.
    • Posted

Anyway Norma, best way to supplement with Vitamin D is having a holiday in Italy or Spain. No joke. When I go back to Italy I feel new. The sun has a huge effect on us. Now since it's a beautiful day I'm going to go out to get a tan and jot down ideas for my doc on Mirta. I'm joking, I still have to finish a screenplay to deliver.
    • Posted

Hi

This is very helpful info. I take a good multi vitamin is this enough?

Jo

• Posted

Important: the ideal way to obtain the proper vitamin A to D ratio is to obtain it the way your body was designed to obtain it:

Vitamin A through your diet, in the form of colorful vegetables

Vitamin D through daily sun exposure on your skin! ( 15 minutes 3 days a week on legs and arms are more than enough, without ANY protection)

• Posted

As soon as I deliver my screenplay ( I have no idea if I'll have the strength to direct my movie in this state...) I'm going to do something about it. This useless pain has to end. Well, since I'm catholic, pain begins to have a meaning when is offered up. Then miracles happen.
    • Posted

There certainly seems to be a lot of people doing a lot of suffering on Mirtazapine .
    • Posted

Thank you manuelmanuel I made an appointment today but it's not till next Thursday.Since I only have an iPad I'm going to take this site you sent me to the library to print off for me.
    • Posted

This is very interisting, basically these drugs deplete so many things that we really need to eat perfectly not to get sick. 
    • Posted

Hi rose

i realise it's four months since you posed on tapering off mirt can you tell me if you were successful using this method

thanks teresa

• Posted

teresa, hi,sorry for joining into your post to Rose, but you've put your reply under manuelmanuel . If you had come one down directly to Rose you may pick her up easier. If you look at some recent posts Rose has been on them.    I hope I haven't offended you,I was just trying to help.  Good Luck OH.and  a     Happy New Year 
    • Posted

Not at all and thank you!! It's the Sunday night telly I blame it on! Can you update me on where I would look for Rose's recent posts 

happy new year to you to 

• Posted

Hi Teresa!

yes I've been off mirt since oct 15 th. Some days were worse than others. I needed anti nausea meds. I liked Zofran. Also I took a small amount of benzo, for anxiety. Did have trouble sleeping. Had problems with a UTI that seemed to go on forever. Would get rid of it and then it came back twice more. I found the physical effects to be much harder than any mental anguish although at times I felt somewhat depressed, more anxiety for me.

i had to get off it this time because it was pooping out for me and the muscle aches while I was on it, at the end were very bad, in my hips and legs, and yes that did go away! 😀

im still having off days and I think my brain is trying to get everything back into normal patterns.

in the beginning of my WD the early morning wake up with panic was the worst part for me but slowly has gotten better ....on occasion still have an early wake with anxiety maybe twice a week.

it takes patience...I did have some good days thrown in along the way. Some people say it comes in waves and I agree. I hope I've help you in some way.

cheers to good health!

• Posted

Hi Teresa....

yes I did successfully get off the mirt and I used the chart CITA recommends. I hear you can call and even email them. I live in the states so although I didn't contact them directly, some of WD buddies did contact CITA and they offer the best advice. I'm so grateful I met such wonderful people on this site who really help cheer me while WD themselves. They actually helped much more than my doctor who " has never heard of mirt withdrawal"....I had more than one doctor, who looked at me like I was reporting an UFO.

You can get off this stuff but for some it's a struggle...good luck keep posting and Hi.....to Norma !

• Posted

Hi Rose

thank you for your reply. I have not been on mirt for long but my plan is to try and stay on it short term maybe 6 months as I have read that it is easier to withdraw the shorter you are on it. 

I am on 15 mgs and hope to stay on that dose all being well. I guess i will try and withdraw very slowly over three months. 

Well done to you for successfully getting off the drug and being happy and now helping others

thank god there is a forum like this one so we can reach out to others 

• Posted

Sorry I didn't get back to you last night Teresa hubby wanted the iPad for the football. Anyway the last time I seen Roses post was the 4th Jan she was posting to the same person as me , his name was Opp his post began with serious Pain in right knee when urinating. I hope that's been of some help.        Otherwise if you particularly want to speak to Rose you could always speak to her privately .Let me know if you get her. If you don't I'll get her to find you.  Good Luck 
    • Posted

Ignore the post above teresa, I never noticed you found her, I'm glad you did. Take Care 

• Posted

Thanks Norma how are you doing ? Do you take mirt and what are your feelings regarding it. There is such mixed reports on this forum. You are welcome to contact me privately. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.