Mirtazapine Withdrawal- Hang In There

Posted , 14 users are following.

Hi Guys,

Just wanted to give some hope to those struggling with Mirtazapine withdrawal.  Long story short I was given WAY too high a dose of mirt. to help with occasional insomnia a few years ago and my body had a terrible reaction (Constant Anxiety, Depression when I had never been depressed before, etc.) I told my psychiatrist that I wanted to come off and they said I could come off of 45mg cold turkey (which is a laughable statement in hindsight) and thats what I did.  I dropped to 7.5mg immediately and stayed there until coming off completely.  Que the most difficult few months of my life.  The main effects of WD were really intense depersonalization/derealization, suicidal thoughts, occasional panic/anxiety, and just general confusion.  I've been off mirt. for about a year and a half now and I'm just starting to feel back to my normal self.  I want people to know that it can take a really long time for the WD effects to go away, but if you listen to your body and mind you WILL see it through.  Just take it as slow as you need to.  This whole experience actually has led to some of the best times of my life, and i wouldn't have made the lifestyle changes I did unless that happened.  Here are some of the things I did to help me through the WD:

-Meditation(LIFE SAVER)

-Asked my Doctor for small amount of Ativan to help with the anxiety in the first few months

-Explained my situation to my family/friends

At the end of the day know that there's nothing wrong with you and you will get through this smile. Much love to you all!

7 likes, 100 replies

100 Replies

Next
  • Posted

What a wonderful story I’m only 5 days off and started tapering last December but decided last Wednesday enough was enough and I stopped taking it my biggest issue is anxiety and head pressure along with depersonalisation as you experienced but I’m really hoping this gets better soon thank you for a positive post
    • Posted

I've only been on it for 10 weeks and I've already had enough, decided to lower the dose slowly, hoping it won't take too long to withdraw completely.

• Posted

Hi - I was on this drug for four years at 30mg without realising the length of time I was on it - it became a comfort cushion to get me to sleep - however, I started getting this restless leg (side effect) about a year ago: I decided to STOP taking this on 31 March 2018 and have never, ever, ever felt better in my life!  A bit of problems with the toilet for a few days - but otherwise, the fog has gone and I am back to the joie de vivre which my life was all about 50 months ago until I experienced two weeks of depression and subsequent medication - there was no need for me to have this drug repeatedly prescribed without any monitoring.  However, I have gone cold turkey now for 25 days and its the best thing I have ever done in my life!!!  Life is fantastic again!!

• Posted

You are a very lucky lady not getting withdrawals I’m suffering greatly and can’t wait until I feel like you 
    • Posted

How you getting in now I'm off 5 weeks have had weeks of feeling great then few days of feeling anxious but not too bad xx

• Posted

Hi Karen, some better days than others. 3 weeks tomorrow since I stopped. Just so tired as I'm not sleeping very well again. Trying kalms at night, any other suggestions? X

• Posted

I'm the same not sleeping too great either very bad nausea do u hv that x

• Posted

Try melatonin drops I found they helped otherwise phenegan 25mg tablets from the chemist are very good

I’m 9 weeks off now and must say I have taken the occasional sleeping pill as otherwise I get to anxious when I’ve had days of interrupted sleep 

• Posted

No I don’t have nausea, thankfully. Just so tired and getting brain zaps. 😔

• Posted

I’ve got some phenergan tablets that my neighbor gave me, also zopiclone from doctors but wasn’t sure about taking them. 
    • Posted

What's brain zaps? Is it shooting pains 😣 hope it disappears soon for you thinking of you x

• Posted

Feels like your head is being squeezed tightly, horrible feeling. Be glad when this goes. Hope you're doing well. X

• Posted

Not good hope it goes away soon. I'm doing ok apart from nausea n not sleeping x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.