Mirtazapine withdrawal hell

Posted , 15 users are following.

Hello, my name is grant, I just want to tell the people who are on mirtazapine how I got off the drug and the fact that I am drug free and feeling myself again shows it can be done.

I had general anxiety for a good few years and never thought too much about it until I started getting panic attacks and kept having to go to hospital because I thought I was dying. Anybody that hasn't had panic attacks will not understand how they make you feel...and the worry of having another panic attack at an in opertune time would usually bring 1 on anyway. My life was literally turned upside down and I went on a roller coaster of different tablets and some of them made me feel very ill and I just got worse and worse. My doctor finally put me on mirtazapine and it definitely helped me for a few months. It then it seemed to stop working so I upped my dose and was eventually on the highest dose you could take. I put on nearly 2 stone and I felt like half the man I used to be... no emotion just feeling very flat and getting through each day was a struggle. I decided to have a go at coming off the drug only to become very ill and go back on them just a week later. COLD TURKEY IS NOT THE WAY TO GO OFF THESE TABLETS.i carried on taking the tablets as I didn't think I could cope without them for about a year and a half. My life was just going downhill and I felt lost and alone and sometimes asked myself if I really wanted to be alive!

I just thought to myself that before I went on these tablets I was fine and that I could be fine again if I could only come off them. So I tried again but this time slowly, I did it by just keep missing a tablet for 1 day for a week then 2 days then 3 and so on until I was just on 15 mg every 4 days. I won't lie because the withdrawal I was having was sometimes unbearable and I was so close to going back to my full dose, but I didn't and after the three week mark of having no tablet I finally started to feel just a bIt better... wow! There was light at the end of the tunnel! My emotions started coming back and I felt human again which made me determined to never go back on the tablets.the withdrawals I got were horrible l, I had the runs for at least 4 weeks and felt sick to my stomach, I was getting headaches loss of appatite severe anxiety spikes and quite a few panic attacks thrown in. I just kept telling myself that it was withdrawal and being positive was a big part of my recovery. I started going back to the gym and running when I had the time and eating healthy. I finally felt like the person I knew was still in there somewhere was back and I was enjoying the little things in life again. The biggest thing that helped my through was DEEP BREATHING whenever I felt an attack coming on, I could literally stop an attack coming on by controlling my breaths. Life is a wonderful thing if your brain will let it be, and now that I am off the drug I feel amazing. I just want to tell anybody that feels lost and scared and that this will be them for the rest of their lives that it is not the case, I didn't want to live at 1 point and now I feel on top of the world. Your mind is the most powerful tool at your disposal and if you think positive that's what the outcome will be!!!! We can get over anything if we put our minds to it .??

3 likes, 52 replies

52 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I started taking mirtazapine for bi polar in place of anti psychotics. In my case it's a wonder drug that has little to no side effects.

Now, I briefly came off it about 5 years ago for a couple of months. I found it made me a little jumpy, and felt like I had a mild cold. That was doing it cold turkey. I add this because I keep reading how terrible withdrawal is and I feel it may put people off taking something meant to help them. It's really not that physically bad and if you mentally remember that you should be fine. However, you should never go cold turkey where it's uneccesary.

Mirtazapine is a high end AD. Doctors try to avoid prescribing it unless there is nothing else. For me it treats a number of serious issues, it's not an anti anxiety drug in the way a tranquilliser is, there is no endorphin rush, and it doesn't make you gain weight in itself. You have to continue exercising normally and eat properly. I believe people experience problems because it makes you thirsty and a little tired and that may lead to eating more.

AD medication only works with lifestyle change, and sometimes lifestyle change is more necessary than the drug. We'll done in getting yourself to that point Grant. It sounds like you have been proactive in making those changes.

Take Care

• Posted

Thankyou. Your absolutely right in that it takes lifestyle changes aswell to recover. Everybody's reactions to drugs and withdrawals are different but the principle of being mentally strong remains the same. Take it easy 👍

• Posted

Hi granto

I'm so glad you were able to come off of it succesfullysmile I have been on it for a year and 2 months but orignally started taking it because I had a bad 9 months in terms of sleep. I was sleeping about 3 or 4 hours every night and normal sleep medication was doing nothing to me like Ambien or anything. I was slowly going crazy. Flash forward to today I am doing much better but dont want to be on these pills any longer.My therapist told me I have generalized anxiety that kicks into gear when i feel out of control.  I'm going to start reducing without the help of my therapist or dr. because they just want to keep you on it. How did it effect your sleep? Have you been sleeping better than before you went on them?

• Posted

Hello Laura and thanks for the reply, what dose are you taking? And as I started going through the withdrawals my sleep got less as I felt wired and kept waking up in the night with anxiety spikes. But after about 3 weeks of being completely off them my normal sleep pattern returned and I started waking up without the foggy head.
    • Posted

Ps on the mirt I slept like a baby for as long as I wanted, an hour after taking my dose I was out like a light. This has its advantages but ultimately you don't feel yourself on the meds, it's hard to explain but it's like your on the outside looking in sometimes and it doesn't seem real!

• Posted

It could be the same thing for me too but I dont know im really hyper so I cant tell.
  • Posted

Are you on any other meds now or drug free. Im still waking up really really down maybe due to the drop to 7.5mg 2 weeks ago. Hate feeling like this

• Posted

I'm really gutted that your feeling so rubbish still but you have to get through it to be able to feel that glimmer of happiness. I am not on any meds now I just try to be as healthy as I can and as positive as I can. You are so much stronger than you allow yourself to believe and you need to remind yourself that often as you can!

• Posted

The words to the desiderata helped me when I found myself in a black hole

?

Go placidly amid the noise and the haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence. As far as possible, without surrender, be on good terms with all persons.

Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even to the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story.

Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexatious to the spirit. If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain or bitter, for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.

Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans. Keep interested in your own career, however humble; it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.

Exercise caution in your business affairs, for the world, is full of trickery. But let this not blind you to what virtue there is; many persons strive for high ideals, and everywhere life is full of heroism.

Be yourself. Especially, do not feign affection. Neither be cynical about love; for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment, it is as perennial as the grass.

Take kindly the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth.

Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune. But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings. Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.

Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here.

And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should. Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be.

And whatever your labours and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.

We all can do do it sometimes with help but never think you caneek cold turkey  on mirt it is a very strange drug.

• Posted

That was lovely to read and so very very true. Unfortunatly with that black dog always following its sometimes hard to put all that into perspective isnt it. I find this time of year very difficult i think there is so much pressure. My 3 teens know i just cant afford xmas but i still feel so guilty

• Posted

That is an amazing passage, I've copied and pasted that and I'm going to read it often. Nice 1 peter, Thankyou

• Posted

Peter,

Loved reading that, also copied into my notes on my phone.

Thanks x

Well granto.....I had a big chat with the wife last night, and I've started my reduction from 30mg (only been on that dose for a week) dropped to 15mg. From here I'm gonna go real, real slow!

Any advice on how slow? How do I cut the 15mg tablet down, should I shear a bit off and guesstimate the reduction?

Hope your having a good day.

Jimmy.

• Posted

well take your time and apologize to the wife in advance for anything you may do or say I know it may sound protracted and drawn out but if I have to come off large term drugs I start the first week by breaking the pill into four pieces and a quarter pill was my dose for 7 days then comes week two, every other day first day 1/2 and 3/4 the next day for a week if feeling rough extend that week to a fortnight but be stern with yourself at 3/4 a tablet if you manage to get this far you should get to the stage when final withdrawal is a do-able thing pick a week end when the house is likely to be quiet and the better half can give you 100% love, support and encouragement.
    • Posted

Nice 1 jimmy. I'm really glad your on a mission now pal. I would get down to 15 mg for about 2 weeks and then when you level out a bit then drop to 7.5 and let yourself level out a bit and then just start missing every other day and see how you go from there. When I got to missing 4 days I just came off altogether. The dropping is not too bad because you are still topping up with small amounts it's when you come off altogether that it gets worse but it's definitely doable. Get it in your head that that's what your doing and power through it. If you start dwelling on withdrawal you will make yourself worse so do your best to ignore it and just crack on. I'll be here if you need any support!

• Posted

most tablets have score lines running side to side about halfway or failing that you can get a basic inexpensive pill cutter from your pharmacy I have found the pharmacy counter in the big stores are great on price. these cutters have a storage compartment  to store cut pills to store when needed.  Best of luck and may you succeed in your quest
    • Posted

Thanks for the advice Grant / Peter

​I know the next few weeks are going to be tough. It amazes me how quick this drug gets an hold of you. Been on it roughly six weeks so im hoping i can come off with little sisde effects. If thats even possible lol.

​If it wasnt for the numb feeling i would of probably stuck them out a bit longer, I was trying to explain the numb feeling to my wife, but she couldnt grasp what i was geeting at. I feel no love, no anger its a weird feeling.

​Im hoping when im med free i can take control of the anxiaty in a more natural way. im finding mindfullness helpful at the minute.

​The funny thing is i was never depressed before i started taking these, it was the anxiaty that was the problem. Being on them is making me depressed.

​Jimmy.

• Posted

Your right pal, the problem is when you have anxiety the physical symptoms get you down so much that depression can creep in. Try to find the best way for you to relax and keep as calm as possible because it's the emotional tension that spurs the anxiety on. You haven't been on them long at all so I would imagine that your brain patterns will return to normal quite quickly. Natural ways are so much more beneficial for the long run as tablets just mask the problem.

• Posted

Cheers for the support buddy!

​Im hoping this time next year i can look back and think it was just a blip in the road of life,

• Posted

If you stay positive that's exactly what will happen pal. I'm rooting for you 👍

• Posted

Grant how did you manage to upload youre photo. I cant find a way of doing it. Not on a laptop just phone
    • Posted

Kelly, click on your own name to go to your status, click on the box that is where your photo woul be, follow the prompts ...   Goood luck
    • Posted

Nope not working lol maybe because im on phone.
    • Posted

Go to my account and then manage settings and the press at the very top of the square box with the picture in and then it says upload for a new picture. Make sure it's right at the top as it doesn't do anything otherwise Kelly

• Posted

Today i am now having flu like symptoms and stomach pain that im putting down to the cut to 7.5mg or its a bug! I keep forgetting i can get normal bug's. Seems I'm used to side effects and withdrwal symptoms that i forget im not immume lol.

How are you today ?

• Posted

excuse my typos lol.

?Well ive dropped from 30mg to 15mg eek.

?Had a productive day working from home. Feeling okish, just awaiting the WD effects to hit me.

?Id put it dwn to a bug keep your mind off the mirt WD's.

x

• Posted

Yeah i will! The side effects usually take a week or two to hit but wont be as bad as youre still taking it in some quantity. Its when you stop altogether. You think after a week oh i feel great then boom!

I really thought i was dying. Severe stomach pains nausea couldnt eat barely drink lasted 3 weeks saw doctors who diagnosed anything from gallstones to diverticulitis. Eventually collapsed in paint phoned an ambulance and was in hospital a week. Was dehydrated but scans ultrasounds all clear. Sent hime same way i went in! Docs tried me on sertraline as was so depressed but only managed 2 tablets. As a final straw i reinstated mirt at 15mg and just like that pain gone in two days. I know everyone is different and im only little and weigh 8 stone but so sensitve to meds. So just be careful and when you get to seven cut tiny bits off every few weeks

• Posted

Hi kelly,

Took the 15mg tab again last night.

Feeling okaish. Feel a bit more tired today then with the 30mg. Gonna stick at this size for 7 days then go for another reduction next week. I'm hoping only being on it for a short while I can taper quicker. I'll soon see 😬

Stocked up on vitamins to help me along the way.

How's you today beaut ?

Jimmy x

• Posted

Still on 7.5mg thats 2 weeks today from the 15mg. Bad day yesterday with stomach pains. Still waking early with anxiety symptoms and feeling down and the dizziness is shocking. I certainly wont be coming off the 7.5mg cold turkey like i did before im going to go really slowly
    • Posted

Be careful Jimmy, WD symptoms can often take 2 weeks to arrive then BAM it hits you.  So I would wait out 14 days before doing another taper, otherwise you may get caught out with a double hit of symptoms, just saying ... hate it when I read this happens, so often.  

Wishing you well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.