Mirtazapine withdrawal, how long does it last?

Posted , 179 users are following.

Hi, Just looking for some reassurance/support. I was on mirtazapine for about 6months. I went up to 45mg and decided to taper down as I felt they were making me worse and the weight gain was nasty. I felt fab tapering down and generally, its been better than I anticipated however, I'm approaching the 3rd week off of mirtazapine and have started to feel a bit anxious the last few days. I've read withdrawal peaks around the 3/4week mark, so I'm trying to stay positive that it will pass.

15 likes, 803 replies

803 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I was on it a little over a year (15 mg). I'm two months free of it now and just fine. I remember a little edginess and trouble sleeping for three weeks but that seems to have leveled out. My therapist said that when feelings return it's not a bad thing. Hang with them and you'll be fine. Hope this helps.

• Posted

I was taking this drug for 2 years before I decided to go off them myself. My dosage was 15mg every night and I cut down to

one every other night, then every 2 nights, then every 3 etc then after a 5 day interval, I stopped completely. Had one "bad" withdrawal incident - had to take one tablet to level out. Mistake, I should have persevered! Anyway, it's another 8 days later (without) and I'm feeling fine. I WILL NOT relapse again and take another pill. They're gone!

Slowly slowly catchy monkey.

• Posted

Hi, how are your w/d's and how have you been feeling?, I hope your doing ok.

• Posted

I'm screwed! Been on Remeron since January 2009 and in August 2015 underwent 3 emergency eye surgeries and a 4th planned in September by a world renowned ocular surgeon due to sudden onset of optic neuritis (stroke in my right eye) and subsequent diagnosis of narrow angular angular glaucoma at 50 years of age. Yesterday, somehow I came across information ?hat this is a known side effect of Remeron in up to 10% of people taking the medication.

In addition, I had severe muscular pain in my shoulder blade muscles every now and again since August 2010, but it increasingly worsened to the point of unbearable hell the beginning of this year. So, I'm reading about the ocular crap and read that muscular skeletal back pain also occurs in 10% of people taking this medication. I have been taking 45mgs for the last 2 years and flat out cold turkeyed it after reading that last night, which means I stopped yesterday. Did not sleep at all last night; it's nearly 3:30am now and I don't know the side effects other than the nerve pain in my right foot, which is also cold and is not a normal occurrence, as well as muscle spasms in my upper back muscles, whereas oddly the pain had subsided the past few days. I did fall asleep for an hour or two this morning and woke with a headache from hell, but I this was not uncommon, but had stopped with the back pain that stopped the last few days. I don't know what the hell, but I already lost almost all sight in my right eye, have lived with muscle and neck pain from hell this entire year, and frankly don't know that I care how badly this stopping cold turkey gets me because what I've been through is some massive bull. I was already depressed beyond hope and have never not felt suicidal, so I'm not at all concerned about it causing suicidal depression given I live it. I will say the election did something to me I do not have words for; and there was no manner in which I could have been convinced there existed a possibility of feeling worse. I already had zero hope. But this is something I am completely unfamiliar with. I think it feels like what a form of dissociation may feel like. I don't know, but I'm just going to continue to lay here hoping maybe God changes his mind and allows me to die. My apologies for the huge digression!

• Posted

Rachael get ready for the ride of your life (if you're not already on it). Cold turkeyed that medicine back in 2015 and had seven months of hell. It will get better in time. Eat well, stay away from stimulants and get on a health kick to help your body heal. Just know it does pass. Talk to others on here that have tapered. It takes time but less painful physically and mentally. Best of Luck.

• Posted

Dear Monica, may I know do you have insomnia after cold turkey from Mirt? 
  • Posted

Look daft as it may sound daft but in my case whenever I felt anxious I smoked pot.I'm now in my second week & already feel my personality coming back.

• Posted

I'm sorry to hear your also going through a bad time with the w/d symptoms,

The Anxiety does pass,just hang in there,

Mirt w/d are not for the faint-hearted,at times it can be overwhelming,it does pass

Take care.

• Posted

I'be been on venlafaxine (300mg a day) and 15mg mirtazipine daily for the past year. I tapered the mirtazipine in weekly steps - every other day for a week, every third day for a week and now off it completely (for four days so far). At such a low dose, for such a (relatively) short period, I'm surprised how dodgy I feel. I'm shaking, didn't sleep at all last night, pretty spaced out and my head is throbbing. That said, I'll take this over the walking coma I've been in for the past year. It certainly helped me through a very risky time, but I feel like I've basically missed the last year altogether. That might well have been exactly what I needed, but I sincerely hope these effects pass before too long.

• Posted

Hi,for me it got worse before it got better,it was around the 10 days /2week mark.

The Anxiety stopped me from going over to sleep with 'high alert' zaps,

I had a feeling of 'falling' causing me to jump whilst going over to sleep,

This is apparently quite common with Mirt w/d.

Mirt w/d isn't for the faint-hearted that's for sure! Hang in there.

• Edited

Hello, my name is grant, I just want to tell the people who are on mirtazapine how I got off the drug and the fact that I am drug free and feeling myself again shows it can be done.

I had general anxiety for a good few years and never thought too much about it until I started getting panic attacks and kept having to go to hospital because I thought I was dying. Anybody that hasn't had panic attacks will not understand how they make you feel...and the worry of having another panic attack at an in opertune time would usually bring 1 on anyway. My life was literally turned upside down and I went on a roller coaster of different tablets and some of them made me feel very ill and I just got worse and worse. My doctor finally put me on mirtazapine and it definitely helped me for a few months. It then it seemed to stop working so I upped my dose and was eventually on the highest dose you could take. I put on nearly 2 stone and I felt like half the man I used to be... no emotion just feeling very flat and getting through each day was a struggle. I decided to have a go at coming off the drug only to become very ill and go back on them just a week later. COLD TURKEY IS NOT THE WAY TO GO OFF THESE TABLETS.i carried on taking the tablets as I didn't think I could cope without them for about a year and a half. My life was just going downhill and I felt lost and alone and sometimes asked myself if I really wanted to be alive!

I just thought to myself that before I went on these tablets I was fine and that I could be fine again if I could only come off them. So I tried again but this time slowly, I did it by just keep missing a tablet for 1 day for a week then 2 days then 3 and so on until I was just on 15 mg every 4 days. I won't lie because the withdrawal I was having was sometimes unbearable and I was so close to going back to my full dose, but I didn't and after the three week mark of having no tablet I finally started to feel just a bIt better... wow! There was light at the end of the tunnel! My emotions started coming back and I felt human again which made me determined to never go back on the tablets.the withdrawals I got were horrible l, I had the runs for at least 4 weeks and felt sick to my stomach, I was getting headaches loss of appatite severe anxiety spikes and quite a few panic attacks thrown in. I just kept telling myself that it was withdrawal and being positive was a big part of my recovery. I started going back to the gym and running when I had the time and eating healthy. I finally felt like the person I knew was still in there somewhere was back and I was enjoying the little things in life again. The biggest thing that helped my through was DEEP BREATHING whenever I felt an attack coming on, I could literally stop an attack coming on by controlling my breaths. Life is a wonderful thing if your brain will let it be, and now that I am off the drug I feel amazing. I just want to tell anybody that feels lost and scared and that this will be them for the rest of their lives that it is not the case, I didn't want to live at 1 point and now I feel on top of the world. Your mind is the most powerful tool at your disposal and if you think positive that's what the outcome will be!!!! We can get over anything if we put our minds to it .??

• Posted

Hi,my question to you is do the symptoms really go? I've read your post quiet a few times and although your feeling better..(I'm so glad by the way)..I have to ask you if you got your life back??for the better??

Did it all go?

I'm 6weeks in since my last dose and now after Night Sweats,Insomnia and Anxiety I've had a throbbing head and I'm finding it hard to take a full breath,the feeling that it won't ever go is as overwhelming as the Anxiety,

I dont think I could cope with this feeling forever,I desperately need to feel myself,

I don't know how Gp's can even think of prescribing this awful drug,

I really hope you have the answer I'm looking for as Gp's don't seem to fully understand. Thanks.

• Edited

Hello Vikki, thanks for the post. The answer to your question is simply yes it does go. I'm about 10 weeks out and I feel 1 millions times better than I did in the early stages of withdrawal. All the symptoms your describing are what I had and a few more. For me the worst was nausea and a shallow breathing pattern which made my chest feel tight and kicked off panic attacks regularly. If your 6 weeks out then you are definitely over the worst, I know it doesn't feel this way but that is definitely the case. Your symptoms WILL start calming down and the anxiety will subside but you need to start paying as little attention to your symptoms as possible because if your dwelling on them then your mind will send the signals to your body and it will take longer.

• Posted

I ended up on max dose & gained 1 1/2 stone so I went to see GP who suggested a different antidepressant rather than none.

She said to cut down mitraz over 3 week period & then a week with no meds before starting alternative.

Clearly my gp didn't have much experience of withdrawal..

I felt ok up to about 5 days with no medication but then the wave of sickness, diahhorea & depression hit me and my hubby had to rush me to the surgery after he came home to find me incoherent & very poorly.

The gp answer was to stay on the very lowest dose of mitraz and I've been stuck on 15 mg for about a year..I'm scared to stop them altogether after last time rolleyes

I'm due a meds review next week so I'm going to see a diff gp & hopefully get advice but from the 100s of posts I've read it seems very slow withdrawal..cut down to 7.5mg a day then every other day and so on seems the best way forward.

I wish you well on your journey & try to remember that everyone has a slightly different experience & the longer you've been taking it the harder it is to wean off them BUT it can be done x

• Posted

Hi, I am just putting this out there. I have been on Mirt for 10yrs. Up until 18 months ago I was on 30mg but needed to upgrade to 45mg. 10 days ago my doc and I decided to taper down to 30mg again for various reasons. One reason was because of the side effects I was getting. i think i sighted a post previously describing the side effects as being in a " walking zombie state " That was definately me. Today my flu simptoms have worsened. Last night I went to bed at 8.30 pm and woke at 8.00 am. Today my eyes look like slits and are puffy. Not a good look ! I don't intend to carry on too much about this but just thought i would put it out there and see what happens. I am new to forums as I haven't had a great need for them until now. Cheers, Wend

• Posted

Hi Wendy

The flu like symptoms are common but stick at it if you can. If it becomes unbearable speak to your GP about additional support or even tapering the dose at a slower rate i.e. Go from 45 to 37.5 and so on.

Stock up on multi vitamins & I found magnesium supplements helped with restless legs.

Try to keep a journal too as I found looking back on bad days I could see little improvements over time.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.