mirtazapine withdrawal is cold turkey not an option?

Posted , 6 users are following.

hi folks again....im really at a loss as what to do...i really want to stop taking these meds immediately and am thinking of not taking any more from now....could you tell me please if anyone did not suffer badly from going cold turkey....is there anyone out there that did it successfully......need some advice qucikly.....thanks for looking...

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Plz take it easy lesley. I know you dont wanna take m anymore but going cold turkey might make it even worse if possible at all. Speak ro your doctor. Havent you seen the horror stories of people coming of m too quick. Be strong girl !!!
    • Posted

cheers bozzer yes your right probably not a good idea was gonna stop tonight but maybe wont thanks to your comment......cheers mate...will be strong...many many thanks!!
    • Posted

We ll have an imagenary bottle of wine tonight..pretend we re drunk !!!!
    • Posted

ha ha..cheers to that bottle of wine...wish i was drunk...the 15mg are winking at me and saying give it a go.....bit alice in wonderland really!!...take care you......
  • Posted

OMG sounds like a recipe for disaster according to nearly everyone who jumped off too quickly ... did you read David's story ... he's on week 9 of virtually cold turky and he is really really suffering.

I wish you well with your wd, everyone seems to recommend the CITA method.

• Posted

cheers does sound like a bad idea..have yet to read davids story just logged on working my way through the kind and helpful commehnts...........im not sure what the CITA method is will check it out.....guess it means weaning off.....thanks for replying...really appreciate it...take care
  • Posted

I went cold turkey from 7.5. I had been on Mirt for over 7 years, and spent most of that time on 45 mgs. It was awful, but if I had it to do over, I don't know what I would do. Probably taper to 1/2 of 7.5 for a month. But I will say this, if I started having WD symptoms, I would stop the medicine at that point and ride it out. If you have the stamina to deal with the withdrawals, the sooner you get that stuff out of your body, the sooner your body will start to adjusting to being without it, which is the withdrawals that you will be suffering. This is all my opinion, and that is all. I had stated in a previous post that I wish that I had tapered, but since then I have seen so many people start tapering, and are having withdrawals during the taper. I am at 8 weeks, and still aren't over it. I just got tired of the side effects, and driven by anger I swore that I'd never take another one. David
    • Posted

cheers david....7 years is a long time to take those things....no wonder you had such a hard time,,,completely understand what you are saying that if you get withdrawals from tapering then you might as well ride it out....very useful information and i thank you for that........i guess you have to reach that point where you are driven by anger to do it...i would love to reach that stage really soon....i thank you so much for your time and words of advice...
    • Posted

You are welcome. I feel so bad for those on this site who are at the start of trying, for whatever reason, to get off those things. Prayer helped me, as did this website. Keep us informed, and if there has ever been a time in your life to use every resource you have for support, now is the time. Regards, David
    • Posted

thanks david yes i feel bad for everyone on here too ...i didint realise it was so much of a problem but getting some great advice and support....yep ive been praying for the first time in years i must say...and yes now is the time to use every resource....i have no family so this is heping but thankfully i do have the most amazing friends around me for those i am blessed...kind regards
  • Posted

I wouldn't recommend it. I was on 15mg and went cold turkey, initially I was fine but then it all hit me at once: depression,stomach issues and overwhelming anxiety. I am a lot better now but for awhile I was just sidelined and unable to feel normal. I wouldn't do it but if you have to, be prepared to ride it out. Eventually you will get better.
    • Posted

cheers sandy after reading all these comments its not a good idea to go cold turkey.....not sure im ready for that awful ride so think weaning off has to be the one for me.......thanks so for the advice...take care
    • Posted

Good luck....let us know how u got on.

Are you on 30 mg or 15mg at the moment

• Posted

cheers will do im on 30mg at mo....just taken 15mg im jumping in at the deep end...watch this space.....lol....hey ho here i go...nice one!!
    • Posted

Be a good example for me plzzzzzz

wishing you all the luck in the world.

be strong x

• Posted

cheers mate...ive never been a good example for anyone...lol...thanks for the luck...and back at ya bigtime..........keep the faith!!!
    • Posted

well i took hallf my dosage last night i know it will take some time to see what happens to me but felt like i couldnt go on with the big dose...so fingers crossed...keep you posted thanks for the positive vibe.....take care

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.