mirtazapine withdrawal- my experience and any advice

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi everyone,

A week ago, I came off mirtazapine. I was taking 15mg a night for around 18 months, before this I was one mirtazapine for years but came off it about two times. Before I came off the drug a week ago, I halved the dosage to 7.5mg for 3 nights. 

I have had a lot of interesting (and annoying) side effects including:

- Itching 

- Shorter sleeps

- Sweating when waking and sweating easily with minimal effort

-Snotty nose 

- Feeling emotionally depleted with low mood

- Feeling as though every molecule in my body in at my skin and vibrating (weird I know)

Now in the past 24-48 hours by low mood is increasing even more, increased itching, weird appetite/feeling in stomach and my friend said that I seem a bit manic in terms of my spending (which I think is probably related to the low mood and it is rewarding my brain!) I have also been feeling extra irritated and bothered I guess too. 

I have been taking 2-4mg of valium daily to also help with the withdrawals and have been drinking 1-3 alcoholic drinks a day as well (this isn't too abnormal for me). 

Just wondering if anyone else has had similar experiences or has any advice for me? And also, how many will it take for these symptoms to go away after being on 15mg of mirtazapine?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I have not come off this particular medication but I have come off others. I have found taking 3/4 of a dose for a few weeks then going to 1/2 for a few weeks then to a 1/4 helps with some of the side effects. Wait until side effects are completely gone before going down each time. It could take a few months but it will make the transition easier. 

• Posted

Hi there,

Thank you for the advice! I feel that would have been the smarter decision though as I am a week into being off the drug, I feel that I will keep going as I am! The Valium seems to help at this point though I would really hate to get dependent on that and need to go through another withdrawal. 

• Posted

Definitely keep us posted!

I’m currently weaning after 14 months of being on it and have gotten from 22.5 mg down to about 12 and I can’t tell if it’s anxiety or withdrawals getting me. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.