Mirtazapine withdrawal - Ongoing sleep trouble

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi,

I have been off Mirt for 3.5 month now. My sleep never recovered so far. I wake up every night after 3-4 hours and then can't go back to sleep. I have tried all kind of remedies from sleeping teas to 5 HTP, Tryptophan and Seriphos, accupuncture,.... Trying to avoid sleeping pills and Trazodone but running out of options as I am getting to a breaking point. Any suggestions what could help or did somenone had similar experiences

0 likes, 30 replies

30 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Ok I will get some today? R u still going through mirt withdrawal? If so how long has it been? 

• Posted

Hi Claire

Georg seems to have left us !

I used to take Zopiclone and it only enabled me 4 hours sleep also, and then it wasn't proper "Rem" sleep, leaving me megga fatigued.  Why don't you try and wean off that now, it is also addictive.  I think the advise Rose has given regarding the huge histamine block that Mirt contains, and to try replaceing this with Benadryl or Clarityn half an hour before bed would be your best bet; you can take at the same time as the Magnesium Betsy is advising.  Keep going with the magnesium, sometimes it takes a week or so to make a difference.

If Zopiclone is only giving 4 hours [non quality] sleep, and is also as addictive as the Mirt' and hard to come off after long time use, and dangerous also, it's got to be worth a try ??

Wishing you good sleep !  smile  & best wishes x

• Posted

Hi yes I do want to try and come off zopiclone as I don't think it's doing much.  Right I have my Benadryl and magnesium so fingers crossed for tonight! Is anyone here starting to feel like they are over the worst of it and symptoms aren't as bad? X

• Posted

Hi George, I am sorry you are suffering with the sleep problem - it really is awful when you can't sleep, affecting everything else.  I am wondering, what is going on when you wake?  Is it accompanied by anxiety or starting awake?  What time does this occur?  Do you fall asleep okay but wake at the same time?

Some people get the cortisol surges that start them awake, and any amount of light can cause this to happen.  A sleep mask is one thing to try, as well as black-out curtains that let absolutely no light in.  Making sure anything in your room that makes light is off/blocked is also important.  Our computer router is in the bedroom so I have to cover it so those alien ship lights don't bother me!

Just a thought.  Also, if you are really fitful, perhaps that would be a good time to take a nice epsom salt bath.

Lastly, did you try the tapping?  "Even though I can't sleep, I deeply and completely love and accept myself" followed by "Can't sleep" at each tapping point.  I know it sounds corny, but those points have helped me fall asleep.

• Posted

A slightly better night last night, calmer - thank you for the Benadryl advice. Last night my legs started shaking u controllable, apparently tremors are another withdrawal symptom! Any way week 2 of being drug free so here's hoping it starts to get easier x
    • Posted

I still have the leg tremors 8 months after my last dose. Have you had any stomach issues btw?
    • Posted

Hi Ian

Those symptoms sound like protracted withdrawal, even this long down the line after last dose - how did you withdraw, I mean was it quite quickly or lowering the dose over a considerable time?

Wishing you well.

• Posted

Thanks for the reply Calmer. Well I was on 15 for 6 months, then I went to 7.5 for 2 weeks, then I halved that for a week, then I had a week on 1/8th of a tablet then jumped off. It took around 2 months before the physical withdrawal came and they hit realy hard. I've had every WD sympton under the sun. I stopped taking it in February. Now my symptoms are headaches, fatigue, legs shaking, acid reflux, upset stomach and feeling really dehydrated even though my urine is pretty clear. It has gave me anxiety too but thats nowhere near as bad now. Thanks again.
    • Posted

Its realy a hard thing to withdraw fast Ian, even though you were on for only 6 months.  Dr's here in UK are telling folk its ok to come off in 2 weeks but they are wrong.  My doc' said this too, saying her advisor was advised by the Maudsley Hospital !!!  The safe way is to drop 10% every 2 to 3 weeks, and waiting to see if you have a reaction before doing another drop.

You probably think "yeh but I'm off now" ... but your body is still in wd, bless you.

going from 15 to 7.5 = 50% - which you did for 2 weeks

going from 7.5 to 3.75 = 50% for one week - then jumped off

No wonder you had such a bad wd.  It takes 2 weeks for full WD to kick in AND THEN you did another 50% for only a week.   

It may sound crazy but if this goes on and on, you may want to reinstate at 3.75 mg, don't chuck that idea aside but have it ready if these symptoms carry on beyond a period of your acceptance.  You may be suprised that your symptoms disappear, then you stay at 3.5 for a couple of months, and bit by bit reduce from there slowly - like over 6 weeks or more.  

Hope some of this may help.  Best wishes.

• Posted

Yes from what I've read online I went down too fast. I looked up protracted withdrawal what you mentioned and that sounds like exactly whats happening to me. Dr's dont have a clue about withdrawal I went to see mine looking like death warmed up, bloodshot eyes, bloated, swollen joints, flu, shaking pretty bad, I had lost about 3 stone and he turned round and said it was only anxiety lol. He only put me on it in the first place because I was having trouble sleeping, no depression or anxiety anything like that. I had just quit smoking and had insomnia, he gave me the tablets and didnt even tell me what they were or about side effects and withdrawal. A couple of months later I'm in hospital wired up to a machine, my heart going at 160bpm. The majority of people who take this dont have any trouble coming off with no withdrawals so I cant blame the docs for their ignorance but they should tell people about the possible side effects.

I think my best bet is waiting it out, I seem to be ultra sensitive to these kind of meds and meds in general. If I went back on I'd be back at square one. I'd say I was about 80% there. At least now I know it's protracted withdrawal. Thanks a lot for putting me onto that.

• Posted

Hi Ian

WOW, it's such a pity your doctor chose an AD for insomnia when in fact you were probably withdrawing from nicotine, which in turned caused your insomnia.  The low doses of Mirt' are used for insomnia - off rule I think.  Your wd sounds terrifying, I've read of many such stories of folk coming off Mirt - as bad as heroin some say.  

There is a guy who used to post of this forum who went cold turky (one of many) and 7 months down the line he has just reinstated after much agony and debilitation.  He has gone to 3.75 and like magic all the symptoms have gone, and now he is free from suffering.  I think he plans to have a break, get stable again ... and then maybe wd slowly.  There are different ways to come off 3.75 - just give me a shout if ever you need more info.

Lots of water, taking another anti histamine would help probably, (Mirt' contains a huge block and replicating this helps some).  

Hope waiting it out works for you soon, give yourself a pat on the back, you've survived a rotten experienced.

C

• Posted

Hi Calmer,

Very interesting about the guy reinstating,I am so glad to know that he is at last free from suffering.

I wonder if it is David who has indeed suffered so much over a long time.

Who ever it is may they continue to regain their health at last.

I hope your WD is going well too Calmer.

Sunbirdx

• Posted

It is really horrible to have many nights with out sleep and you have my sympathy George.

I find 2 paracetamol and 2 Magnesium Citrate 400mg tablets =800mg at bed time really help.

Having WD from mirt I am anxious not to become addicted to another drug so I'm happy this works for me although we are all different.

I hope things soon improve for you George.

Best Wishes,

Sunbirdx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.